What is happening with 3G?
Budule's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Friday, October 26th, 2012 2:02 AM

MicroCell fix (kind of...for me anyway)

I , like many here have had MAJOR issues with the MicroCell......red flashing lights, re-boot , re-register, re-place , re-contact AT&T and on and on.....(even did the port forwarding deal).......my main problem was the red flashing lights EVERY morning and EVERY evening......a reboot usually fixes this but a reboot takes anywhere from 1 to 2 hours!!!.......just received in the mail this evening my $6.00 solution, a 25 ft external antenna.....6 bucks.....ran it to the second floor window and duct taped it in there ( dont ya just LOVE duct tape?) and decided to do a reboot.......less than 2 minutes it was up , GPS was solid in less than 1 minute.....BRILLIANT!!!.......Now, i dont know if this will fix me getting kicked off every morning and evening but to know i can be back online in a minute or two is a major relief......also , my "Plan B" if i do still get kicked off is a cheap appaliance timer.....set it to reboot before i get up in the morning and again when i get home fron work......really though, they should have included that antenna with it, if i can get one for 6 dollars AT & T could get it for pennies (and would save them lots of tech support time.....several hours just on me).......i'll post back if it fixes the other issues.....

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Some additional information on the GPS antenna connector on the back of the Microcell.  A GPS signal lock is required for the Microcell to operate.  GPS data is used by the Microcell to know what frequiecies that AT&T is licensed to use in the area the Microcell is located.  The GPS location is also used by the Microcell to know which macrocell (large cell towers) are adjecent to the Microcell, also used to know which cell frequencies are available to use.

The GPS connection on the back of the microcell is an MCX connection (not an MMCX).  I purchased an adapter from L-Com (Part#CA-MPNFCN19) that allowed me to connect a 70 Ft type high quality "N" cable to an external GPS antenna.  It now takes all of 10 seconds for a GPS lock on the first floor and has been operating reliably for over a year.  It never loses a GPS lock, and my microcell has been "down" no more than a few minutes total during the past year. 

My microcell unit is on the first floor, and I needed the longer cable to get to get my external antenna into an area clear of trees on the second floor.  "typical" external mount GPS antennas for automotive use have the required MCX connector. 

There are many choices on the internet for GPS antennas with an MCX connector in the $18 to $25 range with 15 to 20 Ft cables that will allow you to obtain a GPS lock near a window.

The antenna connection on the back of the device has nothing to do with cellular signal strength, only GPS signal strength.  The cellular antennas (there are two) for the Microcell are small metal traces on the circuit board inside the Microcell and are not accessible to the end user. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Well it's been 24 hours and it's been rock solid green.....before $6.00 antenna a would have rebooted  3 or 4 times by now......so, now im getting kinda mad to think that this was all i needed  .....ESPECIALLY since on SEVERAL of my calls to AT &T i asked them about the antenna port and was told it would make no differance as that was NOT the problem.....think i'll give them one more call as i think THEY should pay for the antenna that SHOULD have came with it in the first place......

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Which $6 product did you get? Is it still working for you?  Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Geez. Just do a Google search for MicroCell external antennas or try this link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006LEDZX8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

Yes, it has been rock solid with no problems......finds a GPS lock in less than a minute (before antenna it would take 15 to 20 minutes)

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

I've spent months speaking to both AT&T managers and TWC regional manager and their tech support team.  

ATT has confirmed their Microcell is not compatible with Time Warner Cable. They don't use assymetric service- doesn't give "priority" on their residential TWC servers. Everyone needs to complain to both companies!!

Everyone needs to call, post and complain!!  Rumor that Comcast may be buying out TWC?  Maybe that will be better??

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I responded to your same post in the other thread. Try to keep your posts to one thread because that makes it a lot easier to follow and respond to.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.