What is happening with 3G?
cbobcreson's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Monday, June 2nd, 2014 1:16 PM

MicroCell Recycling/Resetting

I've been having issues for nearly a week.  Light's ALL go solid green for about three seconds but then the tower appears to reset (top light goes red) and the process starts over.  Trips to an AT&T Corporate store where I was prepared to replace the tower but the talk on the phone from there w/tech support convinced me more troubleshooting was called for; second call from home to tech support when they derigisted and reregiatered the tower; third call I was told, "be patient" because they think my issue is related to a recent software update sent to all towers (the technicial claims she got the email either late Thursday or early Friday of last week).  She said the new update should take care of the issue.  Nothing yet.  Has anyone heard of this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The adapter needs to meet at least the minimum specs. It is possible that the MicroCell is dying. The power light turning red is most bothersome. The MicroCell can't be repaired so you'll have to work something out with support. BTW, it's best not to post personal contact info in the forum. You could attempt a hard reset in case something got reset improperly if there was an update that got pushed. Hold in the reset button on the back of the unit (you'll need a paperclip), turn off the power to it and then restore power holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds. The MicroCell should go thru the entire Initial Activation sequence which will include downloading any updates if they are available.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Not yet. Updates can either be to the macrocell (tower) or to the MicroCell but support rarely knows when the updates are pushed or what they are for. If your power light goes red, as well as the other lights, and then the MicroCell appears to reset itself that doesn't sound like an update. I would check the ac adapter because it sounds like the adapter is failing (power light going red). If it feels hotter than the top of the MicroCell (where the vents are) that could be an indicator. I would try to find another ac adapter with the exact same power rating and polarity as the one you have. An example is given in the Tech Guide (see link in my sig).

When AT&T does push an update to the MicroCell, it's usually in the middle of the night when it is least likely to be used and then the 3G light usually just blinks green until the MicroCell resets itself.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Is this a new Mcell or one that you've had for a while?  Has it worked properly in the past?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The unit worked fine for over two years before the issues started.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I started eliminating things (replaced the internet cable, reset the unit, tried another adapter (close to original specs but not exactly the same). The old adapter was doing the same thing to the unit.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

The issue was the ac adapter. SOLVED.

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Ah....those pesky AC adapters!  Glad to hear you're back up and running!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If a new adapter fixed the issue, please see my post above and Accept As Solution. If makes it so much easier for folks if they use Search above for similar problems.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I completed a hard reset and all lights returned to green and no flashing. But microcell function has not returned to iPhone. All was well day before then went dark today. Restarting didn't help so went to reset.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Can you please post your exact problem? I'm assuming it's the same as the OP but there could be other issues. Similar problems can have different causes. Usually a hard reset corrects some issues but not all. After the hard reset did you turn off and then on again your iPhone? Sometimes that's necessary for the phone to register to the MicroCell especially if the MicroCell has undergone the Initial Activation sequence which is what happens after a hard reset because the MicroCell has been reset to factory defaults.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.