What is happening with 3G?
The Rocker's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Friday, February 28th, 2014 5:10 AM

MicroCell - 2Wire Gateway 3800HGV-B - LG Nitro Cell phone

Connection is as title,,, lol,,, MicroCell ( all lights solid green) 1st port hardwired to 2wire 3800HGV. Then LG P930 should be showing ATTmicrocell , which it fails to connect.
Have tried multi-reboots and deactivate/activate - handoff adjusted enable/disable several times.
About 30+ hours on the phone or through chat to wireless, and also Uverse ( which can't help with router changes to 3800 for " Mcell " changes to the router... guess because Internet and Uverse work fine. LOL...
All items are AT&T issued...

So... case # No worries! You should be able to test that out to see if it will work. Currently the Case ID is C******* and you should be contacted back by March 4th by the Microcell team.

I thought maybe you great people here might be able to help me resolve this issue:
Phone has connected once at first install/activation, 5 bars and great quality when on the phone, then about 10 min it no longer showed ATTmicrocell in bar, 0 - 2 bars none or poor reception..
Only other time was almost exactly 48 hours later, same senario, but nothing done ( no changes ) to anything. Showed 5 bars ATTmicrocell and made a call, about 10 min it dropped the call and 0 - 2 bars yadda yadda yadda,, lol,, same thing. After 3 days of this forum searching, google for pdf 3800hgv pdf - found ,,, and about 10 hours phone and chat each day, LG Nitro phone and Mcell not playing together at all.. lol,, only long enough to hate eachother and walk aaway from eachother 😄

If I can get this solved before March 4th, deemed the start date, from tech support tech case, I would be assured of an important call I can not miss on the 10th,,,  I have no option but to be available for this call... I was hurt and am recovering from back surgery, the call is very important. Will be too late if it has to be rescheduled. 

Any Idea's ???
All solid green and Ready to GO ... !!!!

Also: since all lights are green, they are dummy lights, lol, Would making router changes help with the phone connection with MCell ??? Seems that would only be needed for issues of GPS and receiving/ making calls ?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

It has been about a week with the MicroCell working perfectly. I have noticed the last light ( Wireless flashing between Midnight and 5am, MCell is not connected to phone, then solid and back to working. Maybe update or ATT server reset? But all is good otherwise)

Now for a little explanation to what solved my issue. The end result was a replacement MicroCell, but many things had to be considered to reach this conclusion. So below, a short description of this thread.

Actually the solution was a replacement of the MicroCell. It would show all solid green lights, but not connect to any of the phones I tried.

Working for a MicroCell solution, we found errors on the Uverse/Internet line. Although, errors affected the Uverse and internet, the actual phone connecting to MicroCell was due to the MicroCell. Now we have no errors showing on the line and no more occasional pixelled recording of Uverse and loading issues of the internet. ( these were short and so brief, hardly noticed an issue ).
Now for a quality clear reception, Internet connection it is vital to this MicroCell device, as it is basically using VioP. Don't argue the VioP point, lol, it is proven and understood this is VioP.

Since the line was fixed and trying the MicroCell still w/ all solid green lights, a replacement MicroCell was issued, which is the answer for this post of troubleshooting help.

Have to give thanks to all these people and support, which helped rule out errors and connectivity issue from MicroCell to phone.
Wireless Tech Support and Uverse Tech Support, (many calls and chat sessions, and I mean hrs... )    

Avedis53, and Otto Pylot, for their help and concern here in the forum, to get me up and runnning... One has to be patient and as understanding with the process of elimination. All of which is needed to conclude the need for a replacement.  

If you are like me, and have Internet/TV/Wireless phone, all from ATT, and MicroCell with all solid green lights, more than likely, a replacement MicroCell will be your answer too. Know you will need to go through all the troubleshooting steps. As an all ATT customer, MicroCell router changes, portforwarding, and such are not needed if all lights solid green. But work with all the above to eliminate and get your solution faster.

So with a replaced, working MicroCell, for a week, I am calling this issue SOLVED.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pace/2Wire Gateway 3801HGV-Uverse/Internet
MicroCell - received 2-25-2014 working replacement arrived 3-5-2014 !!!
LG Nitro P930
Located in North Central Indiana,, GO ND... !!!

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

lol,,, Am I doing everything I can to get my phone to connect to the MicroCell ?
(As posted above...)

I was hoping someone would have some thoughts of possible connection correction.. That rhymed!!!

One other thing... In trying to get my phone to connect to the MicroCell, I did the port forward... This was not needed for the MicroCell to achieve all green lights. Just my attempt to get phone to connect. Should/can I remove the port forwards, since MCell showed no errors to AT&T support prior to port-fowarding ???

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Oooohhh.... I see something... This may be the issue ???
About a year ago, I had to portforward port 443 for a game on one computer. When trying to PortWard Port 443 for 3GMicroCell, I was warned only one computer could use port 443 portforwarding.

Is this correct ???
I removed the portforwarding 443 for the game to see if it would change anything. Do I need to restart the Router, 3GMicroCell, Phone or computer to allow something ???

( what a noob I am, lol ,,, geez.. ) 

2Wire Gateway 3800 HGV - Uverse
MicroCell - received 2-26-2014
LG Nitro P930

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

You can not assign a port forward to more than one application in a router.  Port 443 is used for establishing a SSL connection to the AT&T website to verify that your Mcell is authorized to use the Mcell network.  If your game has that port tied up then your Mcell will not connect.

I would recommend power cycling your router just in case (make sure you saved the port forwarding rule change in your router first) and power cycling your Mcell with a hard reset just to clear everything out.

Report back with results.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Yep. You need to keep those ports open. So Avedis53's suggesion is a good one about power cycling everything and possibly doing a hard reset on the MicroCell if that doesn't work. Let us know.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Is it odd that the microcell was able to get all green lights with port 443 assigned to the game on one computer ? The only problem "seems" to be getting the phone to say ATTmicrocell connection.

So I know if I have microcell connected correctly, it is in ethernet port 4 of the AT&T 2wire Gateway Uverse Router. With the direct router connection, do I need the changes in ports ?

If I need to assign the ports 123, 443 500, 4500 to the microcell, how or what do I do when I decide to play the game online ? Apply the portforward when playing, and know the microcell will be affected, then change back when done playing ?

So much to learn... lol

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I don't think it is odd.  If your 3G light is green, that means your Mcell has a connection to the internet.  I think the problem is when your phone tries to connect to the Mcell that the Mcell then tries to establish a SSL connection to their servers to verify your phone is allowed.  Port 443 is reserved for your game and is therefore not available to allow your Mcell to secure a SSL connection.

You might try putting your Mcell in your router's DMZ and assign port 443 to your game.  No port forwarding would be required then for the Mcell. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I would try to port forward those ports as described in my Guide to the MicroCell with a statically assigned IP address. See if that results in a stable connection for your phone. All lights should be a solid green on the MicroCell (power, ethernet, GPS, and 3G). I don't think the ethernet port on the 2-Wire makes a difference. They should all be the same but I don't have any first-hand knowledge of the 2-Wire so check the manual. If your phone connects, and stays connected, then I'd try to play your game and see what happens. The MicroCell may take priority over the game which may result in the game being slow, unplayable, or you may lose phone connectivity. If all of the lights stay green, it may be your phone as the problem and not your connection/setup.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Avedis53, I had thought of that, but in the software page of those changes, it states that using DMZ on device will allow all ports. Although any computer using the " Allowed individual applicatuions" feature will have priority over DMZplus mode...

does anyone trust the easyspeak.net/speedtest site for a speed test... seems to vary quite a bit... speedtest.net seems more consistent...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I've always used speedtest.net with consistent, reliable results. Time of day makes no difference. Given my distance from the CO, my max speed, and any reductions in overhead, the speeds seem quite accurate. I would just take the MicroCell out of the DMZ, try port forwarding to the MicroCell and see what happens. If all is well, add the game back in and see what that does.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.