What is happening with 3G?
The Rocker's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Friday, February 28th, 2014 5:10 AM

MicroCell - 2Wire Gateway 3800HGV-B - LG Nitro Cell phone

Connection is as title,,, lol,,, MicroCell ( all lights solid green) 1st port hardwired to 2wire 3800HGV. Then LG P930 should be showing ATTmicrocell , which it fails to connect.
Have tried multi-reboots and deactivate/activate - handoff adjusted enable/disable several times.
About 30+ hours on the phone or through chat to wireless, and also Uverse ( which can't help with router changes to 3800 for " Mcell " changes to the router... guess because Internet and Uverse work fine. LOL...
All items are AT&T issued...

So... case # No worries! You should be able to test that out to see if it will work. Currently the Case ID is C******* and you should be contacted back by March 4th by the Microcell team.

I thought maybe you great people here might be able to help me resolve this issue:
Phone has connected once at first install/activation, 5 bars and great quality when on the phone, then about 10 min it no longer showed ATTmicrocell in bar, 0 - 2 bars none or poor reception..
Only other time was almost exactly 48 hours later, same senario, but nothing done ( no changes ) to anything. Showed 5 bars ATTmicrocell and made a call, about 10 min it dropped the call and 0 - 2 bars yadda yadda yadda,, lol,, same thing. After 3 days of this forum searching, google for pdf 3800hgv pdf - found ,,, and about 10 hours phone and chat each day, LG Nitro phone and Mcell not playing together at all.. lol,, only long enough to hate eachother and walk aaway from eachother 😄

If I can get this solved before March 4th, deemed the start date, from tech support tech case, I would be assured of an important call I can not miss on the 10th,,,  I have no option but to be available for this call... I was hurt and am recovering from back surgery, the call is very important. Will be too late if it has to be rescheduled. 

Any Idea's ???
All solid green and Ready to GO ... !!!!

Also: since all lights are green, they are dummy lights, lol, Would making router changes help with the phone connection with MCell ??? Seems that would only be needed for issues of GPS and receiving/ making calls ?

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Also Otto, Since the thought has occured to me many times, there should be a " How To " for AT&T's devices to work together in simple plain english. As they have done for other non-AT&T Routers.
I'm thinking maybe the reason there isn't an easy guide for the 2wire Gateway 3800 Router changes, might be that AT&T have adjusted this MicroCell device to be basically plug and play with their own hardware.
As I read the forums, Most that are having issues refer to the same issues as others.
Support is just trying to their job. As you are by trying to help here. But there is a communication gap that will always be. and may always leave immediate issues of the moment oblivious.

This is a community of customers and employee's that have input as well as issues, for support to this community of consumer and employee. Doesn't matter if you are just a customer, as an employee may have little knowledge in an AT&T product/service as any cunstomer, and require assistance.

So kuddo's to all that try to help here...

I have done all the the needed changes except: 

• MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T Microcell
  • IPSec Pass-Through isEnabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets isDisabled

Since I can not find the above changes or confirmation. they remain as is, factory set.

And, as I type this, I look up and see my MicroCell trying to now re-establish  wireless... lol,, that is funny to me... I did not restart it, so must be the server side. 😄
Hopefully a solid fix soon...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2Wire Gateway 3800 HGV - Uverse
MicroCell - received 2-26-2014
LG Nitro P930

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Well,, I could not get the wireless to stop flashing on the MCell after making portforward changes,,, so I removed the portforwards user-defined app... reset router and Pace 2wire this morning, reactivated after hard reset. All lights solid green again, with no change to router ( default setting now ).
Still phone will not connect to it. even briefly.

Also, reading the " Calls drop after 40's " posting.. About Pace VDSL2 ,,, which is what I have for Uverse... I would think Hawaii not any different than anywhere else as far as Pace firmware. Am I correct ???

Maybe I am just beyond the 3800 capability and really need the 3801 ???

I'm soooo confused .... with the voice of Arnold Horshack impression of Vinnie Barbarino... lol ,, loved that show... and that line....

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pace 2Wire Gateway 3800 HGV - Uverse
MicroCell - received 2-25-2014
LG Nitro P930
Located in North Central Indiana,, GO ND... !!!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Haven't really touched on this in the thread yet but I'll throw it out there.  I'm suspecting that there is a compatibility issue between the LG Nitro phone and the Mcell since you've never had a successful connection to that phone.

Since you have all solid green lights on the Mcell and can not connect to the LG, do you know anyone who has a different phone and an AT&T account?  I would have them come over and try their phone on your Mcell to see if their phone will work.  You would have to add their phone number to the Authorized Users List on the AT&T Mcell website, but that would only take a few minutes to do.  After doing that, I'd power cycle the Mcell and then see if the other phone will work.  If it does, then your LG is the problem.

This may not be the issue but it would help in narrowing down where the problem is.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

OK,, had to chime in again,,, seems I have a line issues ( major storm a few months ago ) ,,, I have been checking this and test showed ok until... yesterday,,, running speedtest's and pingtest have info on a short test... so I never noticed an issue.
So yesterday, test showed bad, scheduled tech call... got cancelled, so I rescheduled for later today or tomorrow... depending on tech availability...

Seems a Grade of D pingtest and varied speeds of 20 mbps to 1.21 mbps UpLoad, lol, just do not allow agood VioP connection. lol... or Uverse and Internet quality...

But even though this is an issue with call quality, dropped calls, would it also be an issue with the only issue I thought I had, which is the MCell connecting to the my LG Nitro phone... It has only connected 2 times since I got it 5 days ago, then dropped in about 10 min. to never connect again.

Maybe it will be hard to diagnose the issue until the line is verified to be working correctly ? Will keep this post updated, until resolved...

Thanks for all your help ... !!!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Still think you need to test your system with another phone as per my last post.

No doubt that your internet line quality can affect VOIP but I don't think that is your problem.  Are you sure the 20 mbps to 1.21 mbps are not download speeds instead of upload speeds?  I doubt you are getting 20 mbps upload, especially on a DSL line.  The quality of your internet connection can cause voice garbling, voice dropouts or even disconnects if it is bad enough but to not allow you to even connect to the Mcell?  I doubt it.

You should persue the potential line quality issue by having a tech come out to test your connection but if you have a friend with an AT&T cellphone that is different from your LG Nitro, that's the first thing I'd do.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

ok,,, tried to connect an iphone 3 ios 6.1.6 ... did not connect after phone restart...
Is there an issue with the iPhone 3 and MCell ?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Whew...that's an oldie. I think you mean an iPhone 3G.  You can't put iOs 7 on that one either but I don't know of any issues with it

Is the iPhone 3G an active AT&T phone?  That is, does it have an account with AT&T that is still active?  If it does, did you add its phone number to the Authorized User List on the Microcell website?

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

As you see, the iPhone 3 ios 6.1.6. would not connect like my LG P930 Nitro...

I do not see many LG Nitro phones having issues in the Microcell board.

And yes, actually 25mbps is what it should be, with 2mbps Up...

one test,  SOuth Bend, IN. to Dallas, TX.
Your Speed Result:
Download Speed: 20196 kbps (2524.5 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1872 kbps (234 KB/sec transfer rate)

next test South Bend IN to Chicago IL

Your Speed Result: Download Speed: 21702 kbps (2712.8 KB/sec transfer rate) Upload Speed: 1781 kbps (222.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

with pingtest

www.pingtest.net/result/94100027.png

Which definitely shows just a speed test means very little with the quality.. For now I can't get a test with the 1 or 2 mbps  speed,,, lol,, go figure,
I agree the line needs fixed, and in process...

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Yes Avedis53, AT&T service  and verfied listing with a page reload,,, And it is a 3G ,,, lol,, I am not familiar with iPhones,,,
I shouldn't have to restart the MCell should I ? no mention of thatneeding to be done,,,

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I would definitely power cycle the Mcell so it can sync with AT&T's servers to add your iphone and to be sure do a hard reset also.

1.  Power down the Mcell.

2.  Press the hard reset button in the back of the Mcell with a paper clip for 30 seconds.

3.  Power up the Mcell.

4.  Power cycle the iPhone.

Your speeds look ok, but you might look at what your packet loss and jitter are.  Those are critical for good VOIP call quality.

Go to:  http://voipqualitytest.com/

Run their test.  After it is completed, post your results that are under the "Advanced" tab (has a cross on the tab).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.