What is happening with 3G?
The Rocker's profile

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

Friday, February 28th, 2014 5:10 AM

MicroCell - 2Wire Gateway 3800HGV-B - LG Nitro Cell phone

Connection is as title,,, lol,,, MicroCell ( all lights solid green) 1st port hardwired to 2wire 3800HGV. Then LG P930 should be showing ATTmicrocell , which it fails to connect.
Have tried multi-reboots and deactivate/activate - handoff adjusted enable/disable several times.
About 30+ hours on the phone or through chat to wireless, and also Uverse ( which can't help with router changes to 3800 for " Mcell " changes to the router... guess because Internet and Uverse work fine. LOL...
All items are AT&T issued...

So... case # No worries! You should be able to test that out to see if it will work. Currently the Case ID is C******* and you should be contacted back by March 4th by the Microcell team.

I thought maybe you great people here might be able to help me resolve this issue:
Phone has connected once at first install/activation, 5 bars and great quality when on the phone, then about 10 min it no longer showed ATTmicrocell in bar, 0 - 2 bars none or poor reception..
Only other time was almost exactly 48 hours later, same senario, but nothing done ( no changes ) to anything. Showed 5 bars ATTmicrocell and made a call, about 10 min it dropped the call and 0 - 2 bars yadda yadda yadda,, lol,, same thing. After 3 days of this forum searching, google for pdf 3800hgv pdf - found ,,, and about 10 hours phone and chat each day, LG Nitro phone and Mcell not playing together at all.. lol,, only long enough to hate eachother and walk aaway from eachother 😄

If I can get this solved before March 4th, deemed the start date, from tech support tech case, I would be assured of an important call I can not miss on the 10th,,,  I have no option but to be available for this call... I was hurt and am recovering from back surgery, the call is very important. Will be too late if it has to be rescheduled. 

Any Idea's ???
All solid green and Ready to GO ... !!!!

Also: since all lights are green, they are dummy lights, lol, Would making router changes help with the phone connection with MCell ??? Seems that would only be needed for issues of GPS and receiving/ making calls ?

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Otto,,, I didn't put the microcell in DMZ for the reason I posted,,

I will try all the ports needed and get right back here... about 15 - 20 min. I guess...

I'll call the user-defined MCell

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I should have suggested that you use the MicroCell's MAC address as well when you assign a static IP. Can't hurt, and that's what I did.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

OK, lol,,, static IP got me .. lol,,, Do not know how to do that ...

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Ok, UDP 123, 00, 4500
and TCP 443

Do I need to restart Gateway Router/Modem combo device and/or the MCell ?Because there is no change, LOL...

I did airplane mode acouple times, and restarted the phone after that...

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Pick an IP address that is within the range of your DHCP table. I picked the first address (lowest address) and assigned that to the MicroCell based on the MicroCell's MAC address. The MAC address of the MicroCell should be on a very small sticker on the bottom of the unit. What I did was write the address down, and then see if I could find it in the DHCP table of my router, that way I know for sure that the router is seeing the MicroCell and assigning an address to it. You can even use the address that the router assigns as it's static (permanent) ip address. That way if you ever have a power outage for any reason, or an update to the router, the router will know that once it sees the MAC address, to assign it a specific IP address and make sure the ports are assigned to that IP address.

Every router is a bit different in how you setup port forwarding, static IP addresses, etc so you'll have to check the manual or call for instructions.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

I'll yell ya what,,, I'm a little peeved at Uverse support for not warning me the " reset " that was supposedly needed would delete all the ports needed for the only game that needed portforwarding,, LOL,,, Man, I can find it, but what a pain, for no improvement...

And they will help make router changes for any game, but not the AT&T supplied MCell ???

I also had all computers, 6 of them, with their manually appointed IP,,, that is gone as well... I can look at the name and figure them out, but still....

I liked knowing what IP was what... now the addresses are in the xxx.xxx.x.65 up ...

Ok, on the IP Allocation Page in the Router software. I see the IP of the MCell.
I have choice of:

Address Assignment - Drop down menu---> [Private Fixed: xxx.xxxx.x.xx]
could also choose in the drop menu [Public (select WAN IP Mapping)] to set this, have to disable the firewall, lol...

WAN IP Mapping - Drop down menu ---> [Router WAN IP address (default)]

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

This is what I have been given, out of the users guide... from tech support.

Instructions:

Overview If the AT&T Microcell is not working after connected to the router/gateway, first try the basic troubleshooting steps contained in the User Guide.  If the 3G MicroCell still will not connect to the AT&T network (as indicated by a continuous blinking network light), then use the following instructions to check the router settings and change them, as needed.   Please contact the router manufacturer or the ISP provider to obtain assistance with configuring the router settings.

Normally, just plugging the Microcell into the router/gateway is all that is required. However, sometimes router/gateway settings have been changed or the Microcell will not connect properly.  This section will show how to change the settings for some popular modems/routers to enable the Microcell to connect successfully.

Procedure NOTE:  Please be advised that the router manufacture or the ISP provider will not provide support for AT&T Microcell, but they can assist with configuring the router settings.

• DHCP is on
  • Data is not restricted from passing through ports 4500 and 500 (AKA Port Blocking).
  • MTU size is set to1492
  • MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T Microcell
  • IPSec Pass-Through isEnabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets isDisabled
  • If using multiple routers, the Microcell must be connected to the first router connected to the broadband modem
  • If the Microcell is connected to a router that is connected to a modem and both the router and the modem have NAT (Network Address Translation) enabled, disable NAT either in the router or the modem.
  • Ensure the modem / router is using the latest software (firmware). Please see the manufacturer's documentation.
  • TCP/UDP Ports NOTE:  All ports listed need to be configured for inbound and outbound connections.
    • 123/UDP: NTP timing (NTP traffic)
    • 443/TCP: Https over TLS/SSL for provisioning and management traffic
    • 4500/UDP: IPSec NAT Traversal (for all signaling, data, voice traffic)
    • 500/UDP: IPSec Phase 1 prior to NAT detection (after NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used)
    • 4500/UDP: After NAT detection, 4500/UDP is used

the text in BLUE above means I have a full solid green lights, no errors from att support.
And it seems to be connected properly...
Do I need to make the changes for connection to AT&T Server ?
But moving forward, I have done everything in Black Text...

The Green text are things I can't find...

The Red text are things that do not apply

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The MicroCell has a basic set of parameters that have to be met, which is in the AT&T MicroCell Guide that you've posted and also repeated in my Guide.

MTU set to 1492, which is pretty much the default settings for a lot of routers.

IPSec Passthough is enabled.

Block Fragmented Packets is disabled.

DHCP is on.

NAT is being handled by only one device.

Port forwarding is not necessary but most find it useful for maintaining a stable connection. The four basic parameters listed above must be met for the MicroCell to work properly. You'll have to check with the U-verse folks on where to find those and how to change them if those aren't the default settings. Don't ask them any questions about the MicroCell because they won't, or can't help you.

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

These are the ones I can not find, no available changes anywhere in the software.
Might it be these are already done in the AT&T Router, and the MCell is ready ?

• MAC address filtering is either turned off or allowing the MAC address of the AT&T Microcell
  • IPSec Pass-Through isEnabled
  • Block Fragmented Packets isDisabled

Mentor

• 

47 Messages

10 years ago

Now I looked at the supposedly need update for the 3800 Gateway and it's exactly the same hardware and software versions... Uverse chat support must think I'm a totally nincompoop...

AT&T sent this device because every year seasonally, the hilly area I live in has a tough time with this phone reception, the LG Nitro, first it was the Thrill...
The first phone was the LG Thrill, I took it back because of reception, and they changed the simm... said it should be fine, a few days later, I went in and traded with a $100 supposed phone upgrade to this LG Nitro. The Nitro had the same issues... They did the simm thing again, and I called concerned about the return policy. They said no problem since I just got the Nitro.
Low and behold, I decided it was going back. Went down to the AT&T Store ( not franchised ) and they said it expired yesterday and started from the Thrill LG ...

So I was stuck,,, they replaced this phone 3 times,,, this is the 4th... and Still every year I have gone through this. THis year I am not letting them replace it and was ready to call it... So they send this Micro*** ... lol,,,

I lose my choice of Router Settings due to reset not needed. Fixed nothing. Guess I was a bit persistent and they got me good... but I was very polite and workable.

Spent over 40 hours with tech support (phone and chat) and again today for about 6 hours...Not including all the reading and searching... 

Complete waste of time find from 2/25 when I got this to 2/27 there was Microcell server issues.. I'm a patient guy, sometimes too patient. It is technology. But why beat a horse with no legs to make him run. No Server or if it has issue... the device will not work... 
Am in recovery from back surgery, from a work injury. I need this phone, and for it to work, as I will be getting a call I can not miss in about one week... 

Thanks Otto, you have the soul of a good person... I am still ok with trying anything as I can not afford a new phone.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.