What is happening with 3G?
Ddj1922's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 5th, 2015 3:01 PM

Micro cell tower

We have been an att customer for many years...and for quite a few years our microcell tower worked great...about 2 or 3 months ago it burnt out...and we replaced it...the new one worked great until about beg of may...after doing much troubleshooting..att replaced that one...and the new one is doing the same thing. ...cannot find network...we r beyond frustrated because we have zero cell service at our house. This has been about a month now and we are totally fed up with att. We called frontier..because they now own our Internet service, but they have no knowledge of the cell tower and we're not trained on it...att doesn't seem to be able to figure it out. I know a few people in my area having the same issues...before I cancel my contracr....or have you cancel for us due to the fact you cannot provide cell service to us...can some technician take a look at this and fix this issue...

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Most of the time, if you've had a working MicroCell and it all of a sudden "dies", and replacements don't work, it's an ISP issue. Not what you want to hear but that's been our experience. In fact, we just had a post from someone saying just that.

I've never heard of a MicroCell "burning out" so I'm not sure what happend there. It's certainly possible but I'd be interested to hear exactly what  you meant by burnt out.

Give us some detail on how you have it setup, if anything has changed (location, router updates, ISP updates, etc).

What is the light pattern on the MicroCell

You say that Frontier is now your ISP. Who did you have previously? Quite often when ISP's change hands, network routing changes, switches change, etc and it could be that Frontier is not configured to handle AT&T VoIP. There is nothing that AT&T can do to force an ISP to meet the requirements of VoIP. What kind of connection do you have, DSL/cable?

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

9 years ago

I live in Connecticut and when ATT sold out to Frontier, my internet and TV service went to the pits....terrible.
If you require a microcell, you may live in a dead zone, with no carrier service, despite what maps say.
If your service went bad with Frontier, consider a different Internet carrier. I dumped them for Cox and have been thrilled with my internet since the switch.
Oddly enough, I kept TV service with Frontier to avoid ETF, and my TV service improved as soon as I dropped Internet with them.

FYI. if you recently got an iPhone 6, it has been reported it doesn't connect to some microcells.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Liz. The iPhone 6 did have some issues (besides connecting to the MicroCell) when first introduced.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I don't suppose that your Mcell problem that started in the beginning of May coincides with the Frontier acquisition of your ISP account?

Certainly sounds like Frontier made some backend changes that have affected your area since you mention there are others nearby that are having problems also.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cannot find network".  Can you be more specific as to what you are referring to?

As far as cancelling your contract or having us do anything about that, understand that we are Mcell users like yourself and are not employed by AT&T.  We simply try to help others in this forum.  You'll have to contact AT&T if you decide to go to another carrier.

While Frontier may not be versed on the Mcell, they can certainly send a technician to your home and test the line quality of your connection to their network.  I would press them to do so.  Your problem is most likely due to the ISP changes that have transpired since Frontier took over.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

We are part of the Verizon to Frontier switch as well.  Our micro tower has been working fine until last night.  It appears to be working just fine, all lights are illuminated.  However, none of our cell phones will connect to it anymore.  Is there anything we can do to get our cell phones connected again?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

I would agree with Avedis53 about Frontier. Did you get new equipment when the switch was made? I assume by "illuminated" you mean that all light are a solid green and not flashing.

You might want to completely turn your phones off, wait a couple of seconds, and then turn them back on. Sometimes the phones need to re-establish the MicroCell as part of their cellular neighborhood.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.