Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Micro cell re activation 3g vs 4g

Mentor

Micro cell re activation 3g vs 4g

When I got my white micro cell years ago, it was for 3g.  SO once we moved to 4g I put it away.  The other day I got an email saying it would be deleted or canceled if soon.  Unfortunately I ignored the email because I thought it was only for 3g service.

I noticed on their website, they have a new black unit that I assume is for 4g.  Can I get my white one swapped for a 4g unit?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Sage

Re: Micro cell re activation 3g vs 4g

The microcell is always only 3g.  If you need one, plug in and re register the old one.  

There is no difference between the older white and newer black model as far as function.   

Microcell provides a 3g connection for talks and text only.  Data, which likes faster speeds is provided by your home Wifi.   

ATT 3g is more like 3.75G, or HSPA+ speed.   ATT has no 2g network. 

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
ACE - Expert

@edcuccia - as @lizdance40 mentioned, the MicroCell has always been 3G. The newer black model just has a smaller footprint, newer radios, and they did away with the Computer port and the external antenna port. The email you received was probably because AT&T hasn't detected any traffic on your MicroCell for quite some time and they are going to deactivate it for non-use because you never did when you took it off-line.

That being said, the EOL for the MicroCell will be at the end of this year. After which the only place you can purchase them will be at a corporate/retail store as long as inventory lasts. Support will last for most of next year and then that to will go away.

WiFI-C (WiFi Calling) is the preferred method if your phone(s) are capable of that. It doesn't need any extra equipment and there is no cost. However, you still need to have a post paid account to use it on the AT&T network. 

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6
Scholar

I have 2 Microcells. I keep them both registered but 1 is powered down and kept as a spare. Last year when I received the email from AT&T saying they were going to deactivate the 1 in the closet all I did was swap them out. That keeps them both active and if I have a failure (which recently happened), I plug in the spare and I am back in business in less than 10 minutes.

Message 4 of 6
ACE - Sage

@rjniles  As ATT is going to stop “supporting” that may be the only way to keep going after 2018

(The following is included after all posts to save typing) I don’t work for AT&T. My replies are based on experience and reading content available on the website. Our answers are honest, but not always appreciated. If you posted personal information, please edit and remove.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert

@rjniles and @lizdance40 - that will be the only way to keep both MicroCell's active (you might want to consider swapping them out maybe every 3-6 months) until AT&T closes the ports.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

I am not an AT&T employee.

Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support