For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
EARLSIMPSON's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Wednesday, December 31st, 2014 11:46 PM

Micro cell issue

I can text but not not do voice on my new Black Micro cell. Also I can receive calls,

When I try to make a call it immediately fails.

I have a COX cable wirless phone modem, switch, and a wireless router. I uplugged the wireless router with negative results. No connection on the switch can be had.

All green lights.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Can you explain in a little more detail what the Cox Wireless Phone Modem is? You don't have wireless internet do you (a transceiver or antenna on your roof)?

You can text and receive calls but not place a call?

What kind of phone do you have?

Your connection should be modem -> router -> MicroCell all via ethernet cable.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

It is the standard issue Cox Cable Phone modem that has built in wireless. I upgraded my service 18 months ago from a plain phone modem.

This is straight cable internet /5473kbps down 1120  up

I can do everything except voice out

I have tried it every way on connections

Just curious why I can't connect to the modem since it has 4 Lan outputs.

Anyway tried it both ways

Two 5S for AT&T and a plie of Panasonic home phones. And only one computer on at a time.

The Cox is N only and my other router is 5G

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Looking at Cox's list of approved modems, it would appear that the wireless modem is actually an N gateway (modem/router).  Unless properly configuring either the gateway or the other router into bridge mode, your network could have a double NAT issue that the Mcell does not like and could cause your problem.

That being said, you said you took the router out of the network and the Mcell still doesn't carry outbound voice traffic but more information needs to be provided.

How is your network wired?  What are you connecting the Mcell to?  The router?  The switch?  Have you tried temporarily connecting the Mcell directly to the gateway with the other router and switch removed from your network to see if the Mcell works in that configuration?

Your Mcell should be connected to your gateway via Ethernet cable and your router should be put into bridge mode to avoid double NAT.

Please provide a simple diagram of your network that shows how your hardware is interconnected.     

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

What I have is a spitter amp in the attic that is Cox approved. Passes upchannel.

Then I connect a Lan cable from the Phone modem to my switch and wireless router from the Cox phone modem.

Not passing upchannel voice calls is a very specific problem

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

What I have is a spitter amp in the attic that is Cox approved. Passes upchannel.

Then I connect a Lan cable from the Phone modem to my switch and wireless router from the Cox phone modem.

Not passing upchannel voice calls is a very specific problem

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Can you bypass the splitter for testing purposes only? Avedis's suggestion about the double NAT also needs to be ruled out because that is specifically mentioned in the AT&T documentation.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

You are not clear as to how your network is wired.

Where is the splitter amp in relation to the rest of your hardware?  What is the Mcell plugged into?

Diagram it out !!!!!  Show how your splitter amp, gateway, switch, router and Mcell are connected.

Some splitter amps will not carry on two-way communications or are not VOIP friendly.  You need to test the Mcell with your gateway connected directly to the incoming cable without the splitter amp, switch or router connected and the Mcell connected by Ethernet cable directly to the gateway.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Yep, that was my next project to go up into the attic and go VFR direct. What a pain. My wife suggested that 2 days ago.

Diagram is a little fancy for a forum (can we post PDFs). I have tried it with all possible combinations and no worky GI.

1. Amplified cable two direction passage com splitter in attic (4 outs)  Last item to check!  Removing  this forever is not an option as my cable signal will be too week. But I will test this today

2. Cable from attic to wireless router phone modem (has 4 outputs) Standard Cox issue last 6 years (N band)

3. LAN cable from wireless router phone modem to wireless 5G router (works N also)

I have another LAN cable from the wireless router phone modem to a switch. Not part of the connection sequence.

4. LAN from wirless router to Micro Cell

Tried it VFR direct to Cox LAN outputs still no worky GI. Also uplugged extra router and turned off wifi on cells. Also tried the switch (no green light for LAN)

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

Correct. But I unplugged the other system. That effectively removes it from the equation. The only other thought is that the micro cell will not work direct off the Cox modem. It should work on the unmanaged switch but I get no green light.  Very strange.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

9 years ago

OK, so I did turn off the  un managed switch but did not unplug it.  I will try that right now.

Also any suggestions on a sig amp that works with this in case that is the issue?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.