Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Micro cell interference with land line

Tutor

Micro cell interference with land line

Hello all,

I am hoping you can help with a vexing problem.

I have 2 microcells and all WAS working perfectly for a long time ( >1 year).

I made 2 changes to my system:  

new HP 8 outlet Gigabit switch (replacing an old 100mb)

new Verizon FIOS router with N and gigabit wired

Now, I get HORRIFIC noise in my land line.  It only goes away when I unplug the ethernet to at least one microcell.

The Verizon tech said it sounded like AC noise.  It is audible on both ends.  Cell phone calls seem unaffected.  Placement should not be an issue as it was working, but I have since tried to move one of the cells further away from the switch and an airport express.  Still noise.  I am going to try moving the first cell away from the new router as well.

Any other ideas would be welcomed....

Hoping,

Mario

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Professor

Re: Micro cell interference with land line

I'm somewhat confused.  When you say "landline", what specific service for telephone do you have?  Is your landline part of a Verizon package (ie. internet telephone)?  What make and model is the Verizon FIOS router? 

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Tutor

Actiontec Verizon Fios Rev I Wireless N Router Gigabit Ethernet

Landline is standard telephone line as provided through Verizon FIOS box.  Yes, it is a package, internet/telephone

Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert

Sounds like the interference is coming from the new equipment and not the MicroCell. It's not surprising that you are now experiencing MicroCell issues with Verizon. Verizon has a history of purposely not playing nice when a competitor uses a service that Verizon also provides.

The MicroCell typically likes connections as simple as possible. Ideally a direct connection to a router or modem. Switches can be fine but problems do occur from time to time. Can you replace the switch as a test with the old one and see if the noise goes away? That would certainly point to the possible cause.

I have a landline as well and I've never noticed any voice call issues at all with either cellular or landline.

MicroCell Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

"Quick Tips: My Microcell Doesn't Work"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 21
ACE - Professor

I'm assuming you had Verizon FIOS with the old equipment (router and switch)?  Yes/No?

I don't think this is a Verizon "screw with user's third-party VOIP" issue.  Just doesn't sound like it.   

Message 5 of 21
Tutor

I had moved the firsdt microcell to a switch (from being direct to router previously) so I just tried that, but no change.

HP 1410 SG is the new switch where the second microcell is attached (no way to dirfectly hook that one up as it is far away).  But maybe that is the problem...

Message 6 of 21
Tutor

Yes, the only things that have changed over the last year have been that new switch and router

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

I guess I misread that a bit and confused Verizon landline with VoIP, hence my statement about Verizon and the competition.

Is it possible to reinstall the old switch like I suggested to see if you can rule out the new switch? Work on one piece of equipment at a time.

Message 8 of 21
ACE - Professor

I suspect your MI424WR router.  There are reported instances of that particular model generating RF interference.

I am wondering about your internet phone system.  Does it use home phone wiring?  How many phones do you have?  Are they all wireless?  How does your phone system connect to the router?  That router has no VOIP jacks.

Message 9 of 21
Tutor

The phone jacks are connected physically from a jack in the Verizon FIOS box (not sure whaqt to call it, but it receives the fiber line and outputs the coax to the router for internet)\

The wire connected to the jack goes to a small phone hub which splits it to the jacks in the house.

Now, here's the funny thing, if I plug a phone directly into the jack in the Verizon box, then it's fine.  But, if I skip the hub and connect the wire from the jack in the Verizonb box to one of the house jacks, (and plug in as wired phone) I get the noise.

So on first blush, it would seem a wiring issue, but all lines are affected AND why would it go away if I disconnected ONE of the microcells!

Frustrating.

Message 10 of 21
ACE - Expert

I"d give Verizon a call and have somebody confirm that you are physically wired correctly.

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Professor

The box that Verizon installed on the outside of your house is called a NID (Network Interface Device).  The fact that you don't hear the noise when connecting a handset to the NID while both Mcells are connected would indicate to me that your house wiring has a problem somewhere.

I would also recommend calling Verizon to ring out your house wiring to see where the problem is.  Why the noise goes away when you disconnect one of the Mcells is a mystery but I don't think the Mcells are the root cause of your problem.  It may be that your wiring is fine and the problem resides elsewhere but ringing out the phone wiring will help to narrow down where the problem is if it isn't the phone wiring.

Message 12 of 21
ACE - Expert

Yep. My NID or MPOE has a test jack that disconnects the inside wiring from what is coming into the house so you can test quickly and easily where a problem may lie by connecting directly to the phone company or provider.

Message 13 of 21
Tutor

Yeah, the Verizon tech thnat came over checked everything ouot and could not come to any conclusions.  He replaced the NID and thought he ruled out the wiring and said it was electrical interference, and that it was possible that "some component (of mine) somewhere has gone bad" and putting out noise into the system.  Which, given that if i disconnect the Microcells it goes away, it seems that they are the cause.  But, I swapped them and the effect was the same.  So, could both Microcells have gone bad at the same time (in the same way)?

They both function flawlessly on the mobile side...

Message 14 of 21
ACE - Professor

So if you believe that the tech has properly rung out your home phone wiring and it isn't the problem, then we're back to the hardware again.

I'm curious as to how far apart your Mcells are from each other.  Greater than 40 feet?

I keep getting back to your two recent hardware additions as the source of the problem.  Taking them out of your LAN one at a time and seeing what happens to the noise is what I'd be trying. 

Otto suggested that you replace the new switch with the old one and see if the problem is still present.  If so, then I'd be hitting your ISP up to replace the Actiontec router to see what happens.  I really suspect your router may be the source of the problem.  Since I can't hear the noise you are experiencing, it's hard for me to say if it is from an AC source or an RF source.

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support