For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
tmario's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, October 28th, 2014 5:50 PM

Micro cell interference with land line

Hello all,

I am hoping you can help with a vexing problem.

I have 2 microcells and all WAS working perfectly for a long time ( >1 year).

I made 2 changes to my system:  

new HP 8 outlet Gigabit switch (replacing an old 100mb)

new Verizon FIOS router with N and gigabit wired

Now, I get HORRIFIC noise in my land line.  It only goes away when I unplug the ethernet to at least one microcell.

The Verizon tech said it sounded like AC noise.  It is audible on both ends.  Cell phone calls seem unaffected.  Placement should not be an issue as it was working, but I have since tried to move one of the cells further away from the switch and an airport express.  Still noise.  I am going to try moving the first cell away from the new router as well.

Any other ideas would be welcomed....

Hoping,

Mario

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

New information!  I did not realize that your Mcells were in two separate buildings.  Do the buildings have their own power meter or are the two buildings under one meter?  I think there may be a ground loop problem or it may be that one of the AC adapters is faulty.

"Here's another piece that maybe helpful.  The noise comes when I hook up both the power and the ethernet to the microcell not with either on it's own."

I assume this is the second Mcell you are referring to?  I would expect this with regards to your problem.  Once the two Mcells are powered up and connected to the same network is when the interference starts.  If the second Mcell is connected to the network with no power or not connected to the network with power shouldn't introduce the problem.

There are Ethernet line filters but they can be fairly expensive because of the high frequency range bandpass required for the digital signal not to be degraded.

An AC noise filter won't solve a ground loop problem.  I'm sort of leaning in the direction of a ground loop issue causing your problem, especially since you are dealing with two separate buildings that most likely have their own grounding solutions.  The slight difference between ground voltages may be causing a ground loop problem and cause the noise you are hearing.

I may be all wet on this but it is something to consider.  You could try an AC noise filter on one or both of the Mcell's power supply but I'd be surprised if your problem goes away.  If this is a ground loop problem, you are going to need to get a qualified electrician involved.  Diagnosing a ground loop problem from here is next to impossible.

Maybe Otto has some other ideas....

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I'm somewhat confused.  When you say "landline", what specific service for telephone do you have?  Is your landline part of a Verizon package (ie. internet telephone)?  What make and model is the Verizon FIOS router? 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Actiontec Verizon Fios Rev I Wireless N Router Gigabit Ethernet

Landline is standard telephone line as provided through Verizon FIOS box.  Yes, it is a package, internet/telephone

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Sounds like the interference is coming from the new equipment and not the MicroCell. It's not surprising that you are now experiencing MicroCell issues with Verizon. Verizon has a history of purposely not playing nice when a competitor uses a service that Verizon also provides.

The MicroCell typically likes connections as simple as possible. Ideally a direct connection to a router or modem. Switches can be fine but problems do occur from time to time. Can you replace the switch as a test with the old one and see if the noise goes away? That would certainly point to the possible cause.

I have a landline as well and I've never noticed any voice call issues at all with either cellular or landline.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I'm assuming you had Verizon FIOS with the old equipment (router and switch)?  Yes/No?

I don't think this is a Verizon "screw with user's third-party VOIP" issue.  Just doesn't sound like it.   

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

I had moved the firsdt microcell to a switch (from being direct to router previously) so I just tried that, but no change.

HP 1410 SG is the new switch where the second microcell is attached (no way to dirfectly hook that one up as it is far away).  But maybe that is the problem...

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, the only things that have changed over the last year have been that new switch and router

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

I guess I misread that a bit and confused Verizon landline with VoIP, hence my statement about Verizon and the competition.

Is it possible to reinstall the old switch like I suggested to see if you can rule out the new switch? Work on one piece of equipment at a time.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

I suspect your MI424WR router.  There are reported instances of that particular model generating RF interference.

I am wondering about your internet phone system.  Does it use home phone wiring?  How many phones do you have?  Are they all wireless?  How does your phone system connect to the router?  That router has no VOIP jacks.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

9 years ago

The phone jacks are connected physically from a jack in the Verizon FIOS box (not sure whaqt to call it, but it receives the fiber line and outputs the coax to the router for internet)\

The wire connected to the jack goes to a small phone hub which splits it to the jacks in the house.

Now, here's the funny thing, if I plug a phone directly into the jack in the Verizon box, then it's fine.  But, if I skip the hub and connect the wire from the jack in the Verizonb box to one of the house jacks, (and plug in as wired phone) I get the noise.

So on first blush, it would seem a wiring issue, but all lines are affected AND why would it go away if I disconnected ONE of the microcells!

Frustrating.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.