What is happening with 3G?
SEAFO1's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, August 20th, 2014 12:46 AM

Micro Cell-New Model

Just picked up a new micro cell as my three year old was giving me trouble. Well same issues as the prior one with the new one. I did manage to connect with a very knowleable ATT tech support person who gave me the answer that solved the problem--turn off LTE on the Iphone 5S. Connection is now solid even when receiving email or texts.  Although I had read that solution before, when a text or email came in, I lost the connection.  The new model seems to hold the connection. I will post again in a few days after I use daily.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

There must be a tower close enough that is interfering with the MicroCell signal so that your iPhone tries to connect to the LTE signal and drops the 3G MicroCell connection. You also might want to Reset Network Settings on the iPhone. I leave LTE on all of the time as well as WiFi on my iPhone and have never had any issues.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I am sure you are correct. A new tower must have gotten turned on recently...up until a few weeks all was right with the system

Thank you

John

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

If turning off LTE when home gets rid of your problem, then it may be either a new tower, the signal direction has been changed more to your location, or the signal strength has been increased for better coverage. No way to really find out. If your problem still exists with LTE disabled, then I'd try to Reset Network Connection on your iPhone. Let us know.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I had the same connections issues this morning---I changed the wireless router to an AIrport Express so that all the routers in the house are now Appple--I took your advice and reset the network connections--restarted the microcell--had to turn off the LTE to get it to connect--so far so good this morning---I have not made any calls yet--I will report back if all this worked. It does appear that the cell service in my area has improved over the past few weeks. I used to drop calls on my way to my house-now the calls hold longer. Appreciate all your advice.

John

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

How do you have your MicroCell setup? I use an AEBS for my router but it is centrally located in my house. The MicroCell is next to a window and connected directly to the AEBS. No connection or call quality issues at all.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

My micro cell is next to a window?I have an Apple Extreme Router connected to my modem?and an airport express as the point of connection to the Microcell. My office is in the middle of the house with no windows?can?t connect directly to the router??I did move it to the interior office?it worked briefly then not?I am still experiencing loosing the connection when email comes in?strange-
John

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The setup instructions state that the MicroCell should be around 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky. That's for reliable GPS lock and location verification during maintenance. If you were able to get a GPS lock by not being next to a window that's great. The white MicroCell's had a small connector in the back for an external antenna so you could place the MicroCell away from a window. The new MicroCell's (black) may have a better GPS antenna so they don't need to be as close to a window Cisco also eliminated the external antenna connection so maybe that's the reason.  I should be getting one in a week or so to work with so we'll see.

The most reliable connection for the MicroCell is direct. That is, a single ethernet cable from the MicroCell to the modem, router, or gateway depending on what you have. I believe that's detailed in the instruction. It's been a while since I've read the setup procedure. You can use a signal booster but that gets expensive. Anytime you break up the continuity of the connetion you may experience problems.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.