What is happening with 3G?
Avedis53's profile

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Monday, February 18th, 2013 4:49 PM

Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

Scroll up its Called NWL "Network listen mode".. do a google search.. this has been ongoing for me  for over 5 months. and thousands of others . NWL mode happens every night 12 am to 5 am eastern time.. AT&T from managers to highest level tech admits to not knowing nothing about it.. blamed it on my internet  untill i provided them with the NWL documents..  from their own esupport tickets .....print it and present it.. i was thanked... well your welcome but this is soooo wrong  ...... a customer should never be providing a "service provider" with the answers to your service providers problems..  or know more about the system im paying you to use...

please please please dont waste your time  Trust me ,,,, when calling  if these are your symtoms NWL mode must be and has to be the 1st question out of your mouth.. even the case managment team says "i dont know of it".. 

Network listen mode:

at the end of the mode .. if it doesnt find 50% of the neighbors it found the night before.. it shuts down..its supposed to fall back to GPS..but it doesnt... my GPS stays green just like everyone elses's but Flashing green 3G light.. if the Snooper "cant locate device in AT&T's footprint it shuts down.

. Gps bypass is another question  that should be asked .. some say it can be done.. others say it cant.. if your microcell disconnects at these times.. this is why.. it took me almost 6 month to find this on the net... and everytime i call AT&T and i hear keys typing after i ask a question.. i asked today are you looking for NWL info inside your network information.. being as your a supervisor of tier 2.? or are you googling to get info on questions i am asking you.. sir im using google..... wow!!!! 

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

not even going to waste my time on how its setup dude.. it works everyday ,., all day everyday  till these times NWL times.... please please stop....  if my connection/setup wasnt right it woulnt work at all.. AT&T even asking people whos describing these problems if it works during the day shows the lack of knowledge piont blank.. just like them telling me its my sim card.. um dude my sim card runs my phone and maybe if my phone wasnt finding it, i might entertain that.. this is after a week of case managment... . and the probability of this even being anything but this mode is virtually "impossible",., think about it for a second :OTTO,, all differant internet providers.. all symtoms are exactly the same time frames of NWL.. and same complaints of needing to cycle it.. your telling me everyones internet drops at the same time, or router stats change all of a suddon? when its worked all day??? cmon.. way more logical we all have the same equipment and provider who doesnt even seem to know the functions of the device...  they sold us something that were paying to be beta tested it seems.. i urge anyone having to powercycle daily after nightly disconnect.. "no service"  ask about NWL, and watch them all scratch their heads at your expense!!!!!!!! i would demand a refund if you have to powercycle everynight especislly after them have to google info to give you ... ummm were supposed to be  calling "tech experts".. who have to google the info i ask.??? i can do that and I did do that already???? ..basically your out of luck dealing with these uneducated techs..... if anyone has any questions im more than willing to share my lines of getting this cleared with possible GPS bypass, who to call and what to ask.. if your getting knowwhere with the techs.. because even after indentifying all this info in AT&T's own documents im still having issues getting answers... or resolve.. if this mode cant be disabled to not interupt my service. i will take AT&T's generous offer to refund me upto $200, the price of the microcell to buy my own 3rd party one  from a company that knows how it works..

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

I can appreciate your frustration but repeating your rants every night is not going to get anywhere. I know of lots of people who have a MicroCell (myself included) who don't have the problems that you're experiencing. If NWL is as widespread of a problem as you seem to indicate it is, then I would be experiencing it as well.

The reason I asked about your setup is that I'm curious as to where you have physically placed your MicroCell. I agree that it is odd that you have no issues during the day and only at night but something is interferring with GPS confirmation. Phone support, unfortunately, does not have the technical aspects of how the MicroCell works because they are trained to only cover the most basic issues and fixes by following a script. Pretty much how a lot of tech support works. It doesn't surprise me that they were appreciative of the info that you sent them because that level of technical info is something they were probably not trained on.

I asked the Admin to look into your issue and I see that CustomerCare has contacted you so maybe they will find something unique with your setup/situation/account and hopefull will get this resolved. The MicroCell doesn't work 100% of the time for 100% of the people who use them so you may fall into that category. It sucks for sure but we are trying to help you.

Explorer

• 

32 Messages

11 years ago

apparently you dont get what im talking about. with areas... voids and "neighbors" and footprint

.. thats ok Otto im glad you hasve towers around you.. i dont and many dont who at&t sold the microcell too//.. i have explained NWL mode in detail... waty more than AT&T has done.. trying help... ok educate yourself.. this thing as you stated been out since 09... and still dont now how it works and what it does at night when people complainung of these issues of what happens to microcell in the void or not in the AT&T footprint... the NWL mode will cease it from working.. after NWL mode and snooper come back with les than 50% or neighbors .... Fact.. documented by AT&T's own documents

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

I understand about areas and voids and how NWL works. If your local tower is too far away for GPS confirmation then the only alternative is a GPS scan. If that fails, connection is terminated. Maybe the tower that services your area is having issues, or there isn't one in your MicroCell Coverage Area and a GPS scan is the only way to confirm, or  your MicroCell is in a location that doesn't receive a good, or consistent, GPS signal. Hard to say because you won't tell us how you have it setup.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Just got back from my vacation and read this thread....   Smiley Frustrated

@pyrexions

If you want help then post some detailed information about your setup and perhaps we can help troubleshoot your problem.

If all you want to do is rant then I suggest you take AT&T up on their offer to refund your money and go find another provider to do business with.  Perhaps another cellphone provider offering femtocells such as Verizon or Sprint has better tower coverage in your area and you'll have better luck implementing a femtocell in your home. 

Good luck on finding a third party femtocell.  I may be missing something but I don't think any cellphone service provider is going to allow third party femtocells to operate on their system.  Too many problems.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Welcome back. He hasn't been here for a few days so maybe he got the message. You are correct about third party femtocells. They are carrier specific.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Just an item of note Otto.  Yesterday, my Mcell went to flashing 3G for a couple hours starting at 10:30 AM and then again late at night before I went to bed.  I didn't power cycle or reset when this happened, I just let it sit.  Both times it re-established a solid 3G light on its own.   No idea what the cause was as my internet connection was solid during that time and my repeater was functioning properly. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Could have been an update or network maintenance. I think it's good that you didn't reset it and just let it do it's thing. I've been trying to get AT&T to put a Status link on this forum to notify folks that an update has been sent or that some sort of maintenance is to be done which may affect connectivity. I wouldn't expect them to go into detail about what was sent or done but a little heads up would be nice so that people don't freak out and start powercycling, hard resetting, deactivating/reactivating, etc which I think, at times, can compound the issue.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Xbox Live and the PS3 have a service status page that does just what you have described.  I think your idea has a lot of merit, but I have to wonder if AT&T cares enough to provide what would be considered a logical and customer-oriented support service like a Mcell network status page.  It would certainly help Mcell users if they knew that the network was undergoing maintenance or that AT&T was pushing an update to their Mcells.

I was under the assumption that updates and maintenance were being done at night to avoid impacting Mcell users but like ISP's sometimes things break during the day and need to be addressed immediately.  Perhaps this is what happened, but I'll never know and I'm left wondering if I have a problem or not. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.