What is happening with 3G?
Avedis53's profile

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

Monday, February 18th, 2013 4:49 PM

Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

If there is anything I can do to help you put together a FAQ page (writing, editing, fact finding, et.al....) I'd be happy to assist.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

You read my mind. As soon as I hear back from AT&T (which could take some time) I'll edit what I have, which is getting to be a long document, and then touch base, either here or by pm. I'm here a lot (obviously) so feel free to contact me.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Roger.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

WilCo.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Over and out.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Smiley Tongue

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

Mcell is still running without any problems.

Otto, I have one unrelated question.  Have you noticed a greater audio delay when your cell phone is on the Mcell as opposed to when you're away and on a tower?  It sure seems like it to me.  When I'm having a conversation with another person using the Mcell, we talk over each other.  It appears like there is a second delay after I start talking that the other person starts to then hear.  This delay doesn't seem to occur when I'm on a tower.  Have you experienced anything like this?  Perhaps it's because of using the internet but I do see a difference.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Good to hear. No, I have not noticed any audio delay whether in my house on the MicroCell or out of range of the MicroCell. However, to be honest, most of our calls are on the landline so I may be a bit bias here. BTW, the document that I'm working on is close to being reviewed so hang tight. I want to run it by AT&T first, even though I still haven't heard anything from them, and then I'll pm you with it for critique.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

I await with baited breath.......

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Avedis53 wrote:

I await with baited breath.......

Don't hold your breath too long because it may be a bit longer. I still haven't heard back from AT&T (no surprise) so what I may do is send them the draft (which I'll send to you) and give them an opportunity to review it (if they will) for accuracy and technical info (in case there is something they don't want out in the public domain). Afterwards, I'll post it with any corrections and/or additions. I'm almost done with v. 1.0 Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.