Wireless Forums

Posted Feb 18, 2013
8:49:50 AM
View profile
Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
231 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(231)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 8:25:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just responded to your similar post in another thread but yeah, re-orienting the MicroCell as you did does work. It's a little trick that  learned some time ago and is how I've always had mine setup. Glad that it worked for you.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

I just responded to your similar post in another thread but yeah, re-orienting the MicroCell as you did does work. It's a little trick that  learned some time ago and is how I've always had mine setup. Glad that it worked for you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

121 of 232 (1,651 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 9:08:38 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by Stephen570 on Jun 14, 2013 at 9:14:51 AM

Update: After contacting support through the forums we were sent a replacement microcell. There was a glitch somewhere in activating it so the activation took 10-12 hours (I did contact support through chat and they escalated the issue).

We now have a working microcell.

In addition to the troubleshooting steps that AT&T publishes and those discussed here in the forums I'd suggest trying the following if possible for you:

• Check your router's logs and look for the microcell requesting an IP address. I was able to determine that the microcell was requesting an IP address as often as every 5-15 minutes. These requests matched up to when the microcell was resetting or restarting, and I could see how often it was happening even when I wasn't home to witness it. If all other devices/services remain working while the microcell drops, it's a possible indicator that the microcell and not your ISP is the problem.

• When you connect the microcell in priority mode (microcell directly to the modem and the router to the microcell) watch to see if other devices/services go down when the microcell does. In the case of our microcell in priority mode, all devices would lose service when the microcell dropped/reset, but they would all work just fine when the microcell was not setup in priority mode. That was another indicator that the microcell was probably defective.

• Try the microcell at another location, preferably with another ISP. You'll need to add another service address and set it as the default/current address (manage microcell at http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicrocell). That will put the microcell through the activation process again. I tried this and the microcell displayed the same problem of dropping/resetting.

Again, everyone from AT&T I worked with was very helpful.  And, again, thanks to Otto and everyone else here in the forums.

Update: After contacting support through the forums we were sent a replacement microcell. There was a glitch somewhere in activating it so the activation took 10-12 hours (I did contact support through chat and they escalated the issue).

We now have a working microcell.

In addition to the troubleshooting steps that AT&T publishes and those discussed here in the forums I'd suggest trying the following if possible for you:

• Check your router's logs and look for the microcell requesting an IP address. I was able to determine that the microcell was requesting an IP address as often as every 5-15 minutes. These requests matched up to when the microcell was resetting or restarting, and I could see how often it was happening even when I wasn't home to witness it. If all other devices/services remain working while the microcell drops, it's a possible indicator that the microcell and not your ISP is the problem.

• When you connect the microcell in priority mode (microcell directly to the modem and the router to the microcell) watch to see if other devices/services go down when the microcell does. In the case of our microcell in priority mode, all devices would lose service when the microcell dropped/reset, but they would all work just fine when the microcell was not setup in priority mode. That was another indicator that the microcell was probably defective.

• Try the microcell at another location, preferably with another ISP. You'll need to add another service address and set it as the default/current address (manage microcell at http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicrocell). That will put the microcell through the activation process again. I tried this and the microcell displayed the same problem of dropping/resetting.

Again, everyone from AT&T I worked with was very helpful.  And, again, thanks to Otto and everyone else here in the forums.

[ Edited ]
122 of 232 (1,646 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 10:16:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I've had my replacement Mcell for about 3 months now and it has operated virtually trouble-free except for an ISP outage and a couple flashing 3G green light events that corrected themselves without a power cycling.

My replacement Mcell is sitting on a window sill that faces the south with its right side facing out. I do not use priority mode as I do not want the Mcell to affect the rest of my network and the Mcell is connected to my router with Powerline adapters that use my house wiring for communication between the two units.

I did make the suggested router changes (port forwarding and static IP address for the Mcell) when I had my original Mcell and kept those changes with the replacement Mcell.  I've had dynamic IP addressing issues in the past when my router changed IP addresses on some of my network equipment (I have 11 devices connected to my router), so I wanted to eliminate that potential problem with the Mcell.  I don't know if these changes are still required but I haven't removed them because if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Since the summer months are about here, I'm hoping that solar heat the Mcell will receive by sitting on that southern-facing window sill won't cause thermal issues.  The Mcell specifications page lists a maximum ambient temperature limit of 100 degrees F and that could present a problem during the daylight hours.  We'll see.

I am hopeful that AT&T will eventually replace their current Cisco Mcell with one that is truly 4G/LTE compatible and has improved reliability/performance.  Since Cisco bought Ubiquisys in May of this year, hopefully they will trickle down the purchased technology to femtocell customers with a much improved, new generation of the Mcell.

I've had my replacement Mcell for about 3 months now and it has operated virtually trouble-free except for an ISP outage and a couple flashing 3G green light events that corrected themselves without a power cycling.

My replacement Mcell is sitting on a window sill that faces the south with its right side facing out. I do not use priority mode as I do not want the Mcell to affect the rest of my network and the Mcell is connected to my router with Powerline adapters that use my house wiring for communication between the two units.

I did make the suggested router changes (port forwarding and static IP address for the Mcell) when I had my original Mcell and kept those changes with the replacement Mcell.  I've had dynamic IP addressing issues in the past when my router changed IP addresses on some of my network equipment (I have 11 devices connected to my router), so I wanted to eliminate that potential problem with the Mcell.  I don't know if these changes are still required but I haven't removed them because if it ain't broke...don't fix it.

Since the summer months are about here, I'm hoping that solar heat the Mcell will receive by sitting on that southern-facing window sill won't cause thermal issues.  The Mcell specifications page lists a maximum ambient temperature limit of 100 degrees F and that could present a problem during the daylight hours.  We'll see.

I am hopeful that AT&T will eventually replace their current Cisco Mcell with one that is truly 4G/LTE compatible and has improved reliability/performance.  Since Cisco bought Ubiquisys in May of this year, hopefully they will trickle down the purchased technology to femtocell customers with a much improved, new generation of the Mcell.

123 of 232 (1,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 10:45:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Nice summary report. Mine sits facing a North-West window (oriented like yours) about 18" from the glass (double-paned) and down low so that only the top half is above the window sill. They do get warm but I have plenty of open space around mine. You might want to consider a small desk fan blowing on yours if you think it's getting too hot. You have a fairly elaborate LAN which is proof that the MicroCell can work under those confgurations. But yes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've often toyed with the idea of removing the port forwarding, but.........

I am in total agreement with you on a new MicroCell that can take handle 4G/LTE, and have expressed as much to my support group but we'll see. After what I learned about the new AIO service and why it can't, and won't, work with the MicroCell, the 4G/LTE may take longer than we want, if it happens at all. But support does listen and pass along our suggestions so we'll see what the future brings.

Thanks for your contributions, which are positive and supportive to me, and the community as a whole.

Nice summary report. Mine sits facing a North-West window (oriented like yours) about 18" from the glass (double-paned) and down low so that only the top half is above the window sill. They do get warm but I have plenty of open space around mine. You might want to consider a small desk fan blowing on yours if you think it's getting too hot. You have a fairly elaborate LAN which is proof that the MicroCell can work under those confgurations. But yes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've often toyed with the idea of removing the port forwarding, but.........

I am in total agreement with you on a new MicroCell that can take handle 4G/LTE, and have expressed as much to my support group but we'll see. After what I learned about the new AIO service and why it can't, and won't, work with the MicroCell, the 4G/LTE may take longer than we want, if it happens at all. But support does listen and pass along our suggestions so we'll see what the future brings.

Thanks for your contributions, which are positive and supportive to me, and the community as a whole.

124 of 232 (1,627 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 10:51:22 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Stephen570 - Good advice and thanks for getting back to the group. Priority mode is basically a trouble-shooting method but some have found that it's the only way to get a somewhat stable connection. I prefer not to use it for the reason you mentioned. I've been trying to put together a User Guide for the Real World so tips and solutions like yours are essential. Thanks.

@Stephen570 - Good advice and thanks for getting back to the group. Priority mode is basically a trouble-shooting method but some have found that it's the only way to get a somewhat stable connection. I prefer not to use it for the reason you mentioned. I've been trying to put together a User Guide for the Real World so tips and solutions like yours are essential. Thanks.

125 of 232 (1,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 10:03:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I knew if I posted anything about things going well with this replacement Mcell that something would happen and it has.

I've started experiencing a loss of connection with the Mcell over the past three or four days.  The big difference over my past problem is that to reconnect to the Mcell only requires switching to Airplane Mode and back to regain the connection.  I haven't had to power cycle the Mcell.  With my original Mcell, toggling Airplane Mode didn't help.

Otto, any thoughts as to why the sudden change and a possible cause?

I knew if I posted anything about things going well with this replacement Mcell that something would happen and it has.

I've started experiencing a loss of connection with the Mcell over the past three or four days.  The big difference over my past problem is that to reconnect to the Mcell only requires switching to Airplane Mode and back to regain the connection.  I haven't had to power cycle the Mcell.  With my original Mcell, toggling Airplane Mode didn't help.

Otto, any thoughts as to why the sudden change and a possible cause?

126 of 232 (1,582 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 11:50:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Arrgh! This is so frustrating. Ok, refresh my memory. What kind of phone do you have? If you aren't having to reboot your MicroCell, and just toggling back and forth between Airplane mode on your phone corrects the issue, then maybe it's the phone. If it's an iPhone, try to Reset Network Connections. I know that AT&T has started to update the network connection settings on iPhones to comply with the Emergency Notification Act and maybe that confused something. Mine was updated the other day and nothing changed but each phone may be different. Oh, and AT&T will eventually be updating all phones to comply (I think VZ and the other carriers will have to as well).

Arrgh! This is so frustrating. Ok, refresh my memory. What kind of phone do you have? If you aren't having to reboot your MicroCell, and just toggling back and forth between Airplane mode on your phone corrects the issue, then maybe it's the phone. If it's an iPhone, try to Reset Network Connections. I know that AT&T has started to update the network connection settings on iPhones to comply with the Emergency Notification Act and maybe that confused something. Mine was updated the other day and nothing changed but each phone may be different. Oh, and AT&T will eventually be updating all phones to comply (I think VZ and the other carriers will have to as well).

127 of 232 (1,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 3:43:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Iphone 5.  I just reset the network connections.  I'll see if it still happening.

Iphone 5.  I just reset the network connections.  I'll see if it still happening.

128 of 232 (1,562 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 19, 2013 5:36:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let me know how it goes.

Let me know how it goes.

129 of 232 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 9:10:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Resetting the iPhone's network settings didn't solve the problem.  I woke up this morning and saw that my iPhone was not connected to the Mcell again.  A quick toggle of Airplane Mode and the iPhone reconnected to the Mcell.

Shows up on both my wife's 4s and my 5 at the same time so I'm thinking that the issue is on the Mcell side.  I think I'll try a hard reset of the Mcell and see if that makes any difference. 

Resetting the iPhone's network settings didn't solve the problem.  I woke up this morning and saw that my iPhone was not connected to the Mcell again.  A quick toggle of Airplane Mode and the iPhone reconnected to the Mcell.

Shows up on both my wife's 4s and my 5 at the same time so I'm thinking that the issue is on the Mcell side.  I think I'll try a hard reset of the Mcell and see if that makes any difference. 

130 of 232 (1,542 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 20, 2013 10:18:32 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

It almost sounds like there's a brief drop in transmission from the MicroCell so that the MicroCell connection is fine with AT&T but the iPhones can't recover. That doesn't mean that it's the iPhones problem but something is interfering with their communication and they are having a hard time re-connecting, whether it's on the MicroCell side or the iPhone side. Have you tried sending a pm to CustomerCare? Tell them I sent you :smileywink: If you have and they haven't been of any help, let me know. I may have another avenue to pursue.

It almost sounds like there's a brief drop in transmission from the MicroCell so that the MicroCell connection is fine with AT&T but the iPhones can't recover. That doesn't mean that it's the iPhones problem but something is interfering with their communication and they are having a hard time re-connecting, whether it's on the MicroCell side or the iPhone side. Have you tried sending a pm to CustomerCare? Tell them I sent you :smileywink: If you have and they haven't been of any help, let me know. I may have another avenue to pursue.

131 of 232 (1,534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 9:54:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Had to do another Airplane Mode toggle last night to reconnect again.  Both phones had dropped the connection. That was after doing a hard reset and power cycling of the Mcell.

I'll PM Customer Care and see what they have to offer. 

Had to do another Airplane Mode toggle last night to reconnect again.  Both phones had dropped the connection. That was after doing a hard reset and power cycling of the Mcell.

I'll PM Customer Care and see what they have to offer. 

132 of 232 (1,526 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 10:22:00 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do me a favor. PM me with a detailed summary of what the issue is and what you've done so far and I'll pass this along to my contact in Support. Do follow up with CustomerCare as well (as that is the "official" way to get help).

Do me a favor. PM me with a detailed summary of what the issue is and what you've done so far and I'll pass this along to my contact in Support. Do follow up with CustomerCare as well (as that is the "official" way to get help).

133 of 232 (1,519 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 2:31:13 PM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Avedis53,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly so we can look into this further.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi Avedis53,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be reaching out to you shortly so we can look into this further.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

134 of 232 (1,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 21, 2013 3:12:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Nicole :smileyhappy:

Thanks Nicole :smileyhappy:

135 of 232 (1,494 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 10:53:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Sigh....update since my last post.

My dropped connection issue is still occurring just about every night in the wee hours of the morning and I am still able to reconnect by toggling the Airplane Mode on our iPhones when I wake up in the morning and find them disconnected.

I have been in contact with Customer Care throughout this problem and have traded a few phone calls with a technical support person.

They seemed to think that it is a competing signal issue between the Mcell and the local cell towers.  They indicated that AT&T has been doing tower upgrade work in my area for the last three months and that it might be possible the changes have had an influence on what I'm experiencing.  I do not see any increase in cell tower signal strength based on my iPhone's signal bars.  Regardless, they decided to disable the hand-off feature to see if that would help.  It did not.  (Item of note: When I access the Manage Mcell website, it still indicates that the hand-off is enabled but tech support said that there is a problem with the website and have put in a ticket on it.)

I disagree with their assessment that this is a competing signals problem.  My wife leaves her iPhone charging overnight at a location 20 feet from the Mcell while I take mine to our bedroom at night.  Both drop the connection and have to be toggled to reconnect.  If I've moved my phone to a location where the cell tower strength is greater and my phone switches to the tower, why does her phone switch and it hasn't been moved to possibly change the signal strength from the tower?

Why does this only happen at night?  Our phones maintain connection with the Mcell throughout the daylight hours as they are moved around the house quite a bit.  AT&T doesn't have an answer to this. 

In talking to the tech support person, it is interesting that they have the capability to access logs for my Mcell and see various error codes.  It would sure be nice if I could do that.  You would think that if I can access logs on a $80 router to see what's going on that a $200 Microcell would have similiar capabilities.  I guess they don't want customers to have that information.

Speaking of logs, I have just started monitoring my router logs to see what is going on regarding the Mcell.  I assigned a static IP address to the Mcell months ago, so it makes it easy to look at interactions between the router and my Mcell.

I get two types of log entries associated with the Mcell.  First, there is this kind:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.20)] to MAC

address 48:44:87:xx:xx:xx, Saturday,

Jul 06,2013 03:59:15

192.168.1.20 is the static IP address for my Mcell.  I've blanked out most of the MAC address for security reasons but it is the Mcell's MAC.  I'm not versed on router networks and DHCP, so I'm not sure what this log entry means or what is prompting it to occur.

The other kind is a lot more disturbing:

[LAN access from remote] from

182.140.241.10:51264 to

192.168.1.20:443 Saturday, Jul

06,2013 09:12:39

Again, the 192.168.1.20 is my Mcell and port 443 is for the HTTPS TLS/SSL.  Again, I'm not sure what this log entry means.  I would interpret it to mean that someone from the listed IP address is accessing the Mcell.  I seen 3 of these in the last day.  The IP addresses are from interesting places like Australia, China and Portugal.  This worries me.

At any rate, I'm going to continue to monitor the router log to see if I can correlate a router/Mcell problem.  AT&T said they were going to look at a few more things before sending me another Mcell.

To be continued....

Sigh....update since my last post.

My dropped connection issue is still occurring just about every night in the wee hours of the morning and I am still able to reconnect by toggling the Airplane Mode on our iPhones when I wake up in the morning and find them disconnected.

I have been in contact with Customer Care throughout this problem and have traded a few phone calls with a technical support person.

They seemed to think that it is a competing signal issue between the Mcell and the local cell towers.  They indicated that AT&T has been doing tower upgrade work in my area for the last three months and that it might be possible the changes have had an influence on what I'm experiencing.  I do not see any increase in cell tower signal strength based on my iPhone's signal bars.  Regardless, they decided to disable the hand-off feature to see if that would help.  It did not.  (Item of note: When I access the Manage Mcell website, it still indicates that the hand-off is enabled but tech support said that there is a problem with the website and have put in a ticket on it.)

I disagree with their assessment that this is a competing signals problem.  My wife leaves her iPhone charging overnight at a location 20 feet from the Mcell while I take mine to our bedroom at night.  Both drop the connection and have to be toggled to reconnect.  If I've moved my phone to a location where the cell tower strength is greater and my phone switches to the tower, why does her phone switch and it hasn't been moved to possibly change the signal strength from the tower?

Why does this only happen at night?  Our phones maintain connection with the Mcell throughout the daylight hours as they are moved around the house quite a bit.  AT&T doesn't have an answer to this. 

In talking to the tech support person, it is interesting that they have the capability to access logs for my Mcell and see various error codes.  It would sure be nice if I could do that.  You would think that if I can access logs on a $80 router to see what's going on that a $200 Microcell would have similiar capabilities.  I guess they don't want customers to have that information.

Speaking of logs, I have just started monitoring my router logs to see what is going on regarding the Mcell.  I assigned a static IP address to the Mcell months ago, so it makes it easy to look at interactions between the router and my Mcell.

I get two types of log entries associated with the Mcell.  First, there is this kind:

[DHCP IP: (192.168.1.20)] to MAC

address 48:44:87:xx:xx:xx, Saturday,

Jul 06,2013 03:59:15

192.168.1.20 is the static IP address for my Mcell.  I've blanked out most of the MAC address for security reasons but it is the Mcell's MAC.  I'm not versed on router networks and DHCP, so I'm not sure what this log entry means or what is prompting it to occur.

The other kind is a lot more disturbing:

[LAN access from remote] from

182.140.241.10:51264 to

192.168.1.20:443 Saturday, Jul

06,2013 09:12:39

Again, the 192.168.1.20 is my Mcell and port 443 is for the HTTPS TLS/SSL.  Again, I'm not sure what this log entry means.  I would interpret it to mean that someone from the listed IP address is accessing the Mcell.  I seen 3 of these in the last day.  The IP addresses are from interesting places like Australia, China and Portugal.  This worries me.

At any rate, I'm going to continue to monitor the router log to see if I can correlate a router/Mcell problem.  AT&T said they were going to look at a few more things before sending me another Mcell.

To be continued....

136 of 232 (1,299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 11:29:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Jul 6, 2013 at 11:30:51 AM

I feel like we're old friends....:smileywink:

With my iPhone, I leave it in the family room when we go to bed. There's no reason for me to take it into the bedroom at night because we have a land line. It's about 35' from the router and indicates MicroCell connection when I turn it "off" at night and turn it back "on" when I leave for the day. If there is a disconnect at night, I never know it because M-CELL is always displayed. The same holds true for my wife's old Samsung, which she leaves in her purse so god knows where it ends up at night. Both LTE and WiFi are always enabled on my phone as well as handing off. I wouldn't totally disregard a tower issue because fluctuating tower output can affect the MicroCell and the iPhone (other phones as well). Houses can be funny in respect to signal quality and I don't think the signal bars on the phones are a real accurate indicator of signal strength/quality.

I too wish there was some sort of way to access the inner-workings of the MicroCell but Cisco/AT&T designed these so that it was near impossible to gain access to the AT&T network from the MicroCell without strict security protocols in place. If your MicroCell is behind your router then it should be safe but foreign addresses are a concern. It could be some sort of robo-dialing trying to find an open connection (of which your MicroCell is not) and "daytime" dialing from those countries would be nighttime over hear. Just a guess on my part though.

I forget but have you tried port forwarding? Does your ISP do any sort of maintenance at night which would cause you to briefly lose connectivity?

I've never looked at my router logs so maybe I should take a looksee and see if anything odd is there as well.

I feel like we're old friends....:smileywink:

With my iPhone, I leave it in the family room when we go to bed. There's no reason for me to take it into the bedroom at night because we have a land line. It's about 35' from the router and indicates MicroCell connection when I turn it "off" at night and turn it back "on" when I leave for the day. If there is a disconnect at night, I never know it because M-CELL is always displayed. The same holds true for my wife's old Samsung, which she leaves in her purse so god knows where it ends up at night. Both LTE and WiFi are always enabled on my phone as well as handing off. I wouldn't totally disregard a tower issue because fluctuating tower output can affect the MicroCell and the iPhone (other phones as well). Houses can be funny in respect to signal quality and I don't think the signal bars on the phones are a real accurate indicator of signal strength/quality.

I too wish there was some sort of way to access the inner-workings of the MicroCell but Cisco/AT&T designed these so that it was near impossible to gain access to the AT&T network from the MicroCell without strict security protocols in place. If your MicroCell is behind your router then it should be safe but foreign addresses are a concern. It could be some sort of robo-dialing trying to find an open connection (of which your MicroCell is not) and "daytime" dialing from those countries would be nighttime over hear. Just a guess on my part though.

I forget but have you tried port forwarding? Does your ISP do any sort of maintenance at night which would cause you to briefly lose connectivity?

I've never looked at my router logs so maybe I should take a looksee and see if anything odd is there as well.

[ Edited ]
137 of 232 (1,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 12:03:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

I've forwarded all the ports that are listed for the Mcell.  I'm not showing any loss of connection to the internet in the router logs.

As I told the tech support guy, the only way to determine if there is a problem with the Mcell is to replace it.  If the problem goes away, then it was indeed the Mcell.  If the problem remains, then my problem resides elsewhere. 

This is basic troubleshooting.....swap equipment, cables, parts....etc and see what happens.  Given the Mcell's track record, it should be about at the top of the list but that would be a substantial cost to AT&T so we jump through hoops trying all the other stuff first before they have to pay to replace the Mcell.

While I'm typing this, my phones are off the Mcell again but this time I've got a flashing 3G light.  This also  happened yesterday about an hour before the ATT tech called me.  He asked if I power cycled the Mcell to clear the 3G light.  I said no, that this has happened before and it will reconnect with the phones on its own.  He was surprised at my comment and said that it usually requires a power cycle to clear that.  When he looked at my Mcell on his end he said there was an error code that said the Mcell had lost connection to the internet.  After concluding our conversation, it eventually re-established connections to our iPhones.

I just hope they quit dicking around and send me a new Mcell so we can determine if it is the problem....

I've forwarded all the ports that are listed for the Mcell.  I'm not showing any loss of connection to the internet in the router logs.

As I told the tech support guy, the only way to determine if there is a problem with the Mcell is to replace it.  If the problem goes away, then it was indeed the Mcell.  If the problem remains, then my problem resides elsewhere. 

This is basic troubleshooting.....swap equipment, cables, parts....etc and see what happens.  Given the Mcell's track record, it should be about at the top of the list but that would be a substantial cost to AT&T so we jump through hoops trying all the other stuff first before they have to pay to replace the Mcell.

While I'm typing this, my phones are off the Mcell again but this time I've got a flashing 3G light.  This also  happened yesterday about an hour before the ATT tech called me.  He asked if I power cycled the Mcell to clear the 3G light.  I said no, that this has happened before and it will reconnect with the phones on its own.  He was surprised at my comment and said that it usually requires a power cycle to clear that.  When he looked at my Mcell on his end he said there was an error code that said the Mcell had lost connection to the internet.  After concluding our conversation, it eventually re-established connections to our iPhones.

I just hope they quit dicking around and send me a new Mcell so we can determine if it is the problem....

138 of 232 (1,288 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 6, 2013 1:55:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If the flasing 3G light was green, then you did lose connection. Whether it was the MicroCell, your router, ISP, or whatever is difficult to determine. I did forward your pm to me to one of the Forum Admins who in turn gave it so Support. I never get a response back because that's between the customer and Support but we did "hit" them twice with your issue. I would hope that they replace your MicroCell but that decision comes from someone higher the support ladder than the folks you are dealing with. Let us know what happens. Maybe I can push for a replacement from here. Can't hurt.

If the flasing 3G light was green, then you did lose connection. Whether it was the MicroCell, your router, ISP, or whatever is difficult to determine. I did forward your pm to me to one of the Forum Admins who in turn gave it so Support. I never get a response back because that's between the customer and Support but we did "hit" them twice with your issue. I would hope that they replace your MicroCell but that decision comes from someone higher the support ladder than the folks you are dealing with. Let us know what happens. Maybe I can push for a replacement from here. Can't hurt.

139 of 232 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 8:32:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Pfffft...things are going from bad to worse.

Yesterday, the Mcell went to a flashing green 3G light and it would not complete to solid green.  I tried a few power cyclings and a hard reset with a power cycling and still had the flashing 3G light, even after the Mcell sitting overnight.  This morning, I deactivated/reactivated the Mcell.  Finally, I was able to get a solid green 3G light.  Toggled the Airplane Mode on the iPhones and I am connected......for now.

Concerning this competing signal strength issue, at what cell tower signal strength does a cellphone switch to the Mcell? On the lower levels of my house my iPhone shows one bar, which at that strength I have dropped calls or am unable to call at all.  When I toggle the Airplane Mode and reconnect to the Mcell, I show 4 bars in the same location.  I would think that if the Mcell signal strength is greater than the cell tower signal strength, it should switch the iPhone to the Mcell.  It certainly should if the cell tower signal strength drops to one bar.

Again, the Mcell worked fine for three months and now this.  I believe that the Mcell is defective and when the tech support guy calls me again (hopefully today), I am going to insist on a replacement.

What a pain....

Pfffft...things are going from bad to worse.

Yesterday, the Mcell went to a flashing green 3G light and it would not complete to solid green.  I tried a few power cyclings and a hard reset with a power cycling and still had the flashing 3G light, even after the Mcell sitting overnight.  This morning, I deactivated/reactivated the Mcell.  Finally, I was able to get a solid green 3G light.  Toggled the Airplane Mode on the iPhones and I am connected......for now.

Concerning this competing signal strength issue, at what cell tower signal strength does a cellphone switch to the Mcell? On the lower levels of my house my iPhone shows one bar, which at that strength I have dropped calls or am unable to call at all.  When I toggle the Airplane Mode and reconnect to the Mcell, I show 4 bars in the same location.  I would think that if the Mcell signal strength is greater than the cell tower signal strength, it should switch the iPhone to the Mcell.  It certainly should if the cell tower signal strength drops to one bar.

Again, the Mcell worked fine for three months and now this.  I believe that the Mcell is defective and when the tech support guy calls me again (hopefully today), I am going to insist on a replacement.

What a pain....

140 of 232 (1,254 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 8, 2013 10:18:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't know what the signal strength has to be before a cell phone will begin to search for a better connection. Proprietary info I'm sure. I'll forward your post to one of the Forum Admins and see if that will do any good. I wish I could be more helpful.

I don't know what the signal strength has to be before a cell phone will begin to search for a better connection. Proprietary info I'm sure. I'll forward your post to one of the Forum Admins and see if that will do any good. I wish I could be more helpful.

141 of 232 (1,249 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 12:14:32 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Ok Otto,

I received my 3rd Mcell today. (Date code: 03/13; HW version 3.2).

Curiously enough, after deactivating/reactivating the previous Mcell, I did not find a lost connection this morning.  One day fluke or was my issue resolved by deactivating/reactivating the Mcell?  Maybe I should have tried that earlier but they didn't suggest it. 

The tech support guy is suppose to call me back and see how things are going after I got the replacement Mcell.  I'd like to be able to report what perhaps might be useful information to him and since I have 10 days to return the "defective" Mcell, I think I'll give the Mcell I am suppose to return a few more days of operation to see if the Airplane Mode toggling issue has gone away.  I want to see if deactivating/reactivating the Mcell really resolved the problem.

Regardless, I'll keep the Mcell I was just sent and send the other back after my experiment is concluded.

Ok Otto,

I received my 3rd Mcell today. (Date code: 03/13; HW version 3.2).

Curiously enough, after deactivating/reactivating the previous Mcell, I did not find a lost connection this morning.  One day fluke or was my issue resolved by deactivating/reactivating the Mcell?  Maybe I should have tried that earlier but they didn't suggest it. 

The tech support guy is suppose to call me back and see how things are going after I got the replacement Mcell.  I'd like to be able to report what perhaps might be useful information to him and since I have 10 days to return the "defective" Mcell, I think I'll give the Mcell I am suppose to return a few more days of operation to see if the Airplane Mode toggling issue has gone away.  I want to see if deactivating/reactivating the Mcell really resolved the problem.

Regardless, I'll keep the Mcell I was just sent and send the other back after my experiment is concluded.

142 of 232 (1,199 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 10, 2013 12:34:08 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You have a more recent hardware version than mine so it should work. I would keep it as long as you possibly can (maybe 8 days) before sending it back just to make sure. Deactivating/reactivating has worked for some in the past and for some reason I thought you had done that way back when. If I didn't suggest that, that's my bad and I apologize for that. But, if the new works, you have the most recent hardware version :smileywink:

You have a more recent hardware version than mine so it should work. I would keep it as long as you possibly can (maybe 8 days) before sending it back just to make sure. Deactivating/reactivating has worked for some in the past and for some reason I thought you had done that way back when. If I didn't suggest that, that's my bad and I apologize for that. But, if the new works, you have the most recent hardware version :smileywink:

143 of 232 (1,196 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 9:05:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Otto, we gotta stop meeting like this......

I received Mcell #3 on the 10th.  I left Mcell #2 operating to see if activating/deactivating it solved the problem.  After one day of no drops, Mcell #2 dropped connection to both iPhones the next night.  I ditched Mcell #2 and activated Mcell #3 on the 11th.  Mcell #3 was still dropping the connection overnight and I am able to reconnect by toggling the Aiplane Mode on the iPhones.  On the 14th, I disabled the Mcell handoff feature but this morning (the 15th) I had lost the connection again and toggled Airplane Mode to reconnect.

So what do I know now?  I would say that it isn't the Mcell that is causing the problem but I haven't heard from the tech support guy who was suppose to call me after I received Mcell #3 to see how it is doing.  Without the error codes, I'm flying blind here.  One would like to think that AT&T's Mcell system keeps a log of time-stamped error codes for each Mcell but who knows?  Perhaps it only saves the last code.  Without interaction with the tech support guy, I'm running out of things to try.  Of course, when he called me, my Caller ID showed "Unknown" so I have no way of contacting him directly.  Perhaps AT&T does that for a reason.

I keep coming back to the fact that I can leave my house with my iPhone and when I come back, it connects to the Mcell.  Yet our iPhones can be in the house, have automatic handoff disabled, have 4-5 bars of signal strength to the Mcell and still lose connection to the Mcell by the morning.

The only thing I can think of trying is to take the Powerline adapters out of the equation.  There could be a ground loop problem due to my house wiring or some other Powerline adapter issue that is causing the Mcell to momentarily lose its connection to the Internet.  Perhaps when an Mcell loses connection in this configuration, due to its design, automatic reconnects to cellphones don't occur. 

But then I ask myself, why just at night?  Also, I've disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Mcell in the past for several seconds to mimic a lost connection and that hasn't duplicated this problem.  I am also showing all solid green lights in the morning.

Still, I think it I need to verify if the Powerline adapters are the issue.  Hard wiring the Mcell directly to my router isn't an option because of the location of my router doesn't provide the Mcell a good GPS view unless I string 30 feet of wiring to get the Mcell to a window location.  One thing I can try is to hard-wire my Mcell to my WiFi repeater which is on the same floor of the house as my Mcell is.  I don't know if this will work but it would eliminate the use of the Powerline adapters.  I've got nothing to lose by trying it so I'll report back when I have more to offer.

Maybe toggling Airplane Mode isn't so bad after all......

Otto, we gotta stop meeting like this......

I received Mcell #3 on the 10th.  I left Mcell #2 operating to see if activating/deactivating it solved the problem.  After one day of no drops, Mcell #2 dropped connection to both iPhones the next night.  I ditched Mcell #2 and activated Mcell #3 on the 11th.  Mcell #3 was still dropping the connection overnight and I am able to reconnect by toggling the Aiplane Mode on the iPhones.  On the 14th, I disabled the Mcell handoff feature but this morning (the 15th) I had lost the connection again and toggled Airplane Mode to reconnect.

So what do I know now?  I would say that it isn't the Mcell that is causing the problem but I haven't heard from the tech support guy who was suppose to call me after I received Mcell #3 to see how it is doing.  Without the error codes, I'm flying blind here.  One would like to think that AT&T's Mcell system keeps a log of time-stamped error codes for each Mcell but who knows?  Perhaps it only saves the last code.  Without interaction with the tech support guy, I'm running out of things to try.  Of course, when he called me, my Caller ID showed "Unknown" so I have no way of contacting him directly.  Perhaps AT&T does that for a reason.

I keep coming back to the fact that I can leave my house with my iPhone and when I come back, it connects to the Mcell.  Yet our iPhones can be in the house, have automatic handoff disabled, have 4-5 bars of signal strength to the Mcell and still lose connection to the Mcell by the morning.

The only thing I can think of trying is to take the Powerline adapters out of the equation.  There could be a ground loop problem due to my house wiring or some other Powerline adapter issue that is causing the Mcell to momentarily lose its connection to the Internet.  Perhaps when an Mcell loses connection in this configuration, due to its design, automatic reconnects to cellphones don't occur. 

But then I ask myself, why just at night?  Also, I've disconnected the Ethernet cable from the Mcell in the past for several seconds to mimic a lost connection and that hasn't duplicated this problem.  I am also showing all solid green lights in the morning.

Still, I think it I need to verify if the Powerline adapters are the issue.  Hard wiring the Mcell directly to my router isn't an option because of the location of my router doesn't provide the Mcell a good GPS view unless I string 30 feet of wiring to get the Mcell to a window location.  One thing I can try is to hard-wire my Mcell to my WiFi repeater which is on the same floor of the house as my Mcell is.  I don't know if this will work but it would eliminate the use of the Powerline adapters.  I've got nothing to lose by trying it so I'll report back when I have more to offer.

Maybe toggling Airplane Mode isn't so bad after all......

144 of 232 (1,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 9:18:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe I should put you on my Christmas Card list now :smileywink:

I've always been uneasy about the PowerLine Adapters. In theory, they should work fine. But I know they can be spotty if your in-wall house wiring is not trouble-free. It could be that the MicroCell is more sensitive to line condtions in that scenario. Being as this is the third MicroCell that has exhibited the same symptoms, that indicates to me it has something to do with your setup and not necessarily the MicroCell.

Can you use a GPS extension antenna? They aren't that expensive (at least most of them) and you could run a thin cable up to about 70' to a window (at least the last time I checked, which was quite a while ago).

Maybe I should put you on my Christmas Card list now :smileywink:

I've always been uneasy about the PowerLine Adapters. In theory, they should work fine. But I know they can be spotty if your in-wall house wiring is not trouble-free. It could be that the MicroCell is more sensitive to line condtions in that scenario. Being as this is the third MicroCell that has exhibited the same symptoms, that indicates to me it has something to do with your setup and not necessarily the MicroCell.

Can you use a GPS extension antenna? They aren't that expensive (at least most of them) and you could run a thin cable up to about 70' to a window (at least the last time I checked, which was quite a while ago).

145 of 232 (1,073 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 10:29:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru
Edited by Avedis53 on Jul 15, 2013 at 10:29:46 AM

An external GPS antenna could work but the fact remains that the Mcell needs to be centrally located in my house for adequate coverage.  Putting it in the basement with my router would not cover the house even if I could get a GPS lock with an external antenna.

First things first though.  I have connected the Mcell to my repeater and it is functioning.  Powerline adapters are out of the system.  The Mcell is in a different location than it was but it still close enough to a sliding glass door to maintain a GPS lock (hopefully).  I have all solid green lights at the moment.  I've got 4 bars in the basement.

Fingers crossed....

An external GPS antenna could work but the fact remains that the Mcell needs to be centrally located in my house for adequate coverage.  Putting it in the basement with my router would not cover the house even if I could get a GPS lock with an external antenna.

First things first though.  I have connected the Mcell to my repeater and it is functioning.  Powerline adapters are out of the system.  The Mcell is in a different location than it was but it still close enough to a sliding glass door to maintain a GPS lock (hopefully).  I have all solid green lights at the moment.  I've got 4 bars in the basement.

Fingers crossed....

[ Edited ]
146 of 232 (1,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2013 11:08:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Fingers crossed here as well........

Fingers crossed here as well........

147 of 232 (1,058 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 9:49:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

While the problem with my first Mcell was somewhat different, I would agree that the issue with the last two Mcells does not now seem to show that they are at fault, especially after taking the Powerline adapters out of the system.

Since disconnecting the Powerline adapters and hard-wiring my current Mcell to my WiFi repeater, I have not had a lost connection over the past two days.  This is very encouraging needless to say.

This house is over 50 years old and the AC wiring codes were not the same then as they are now.  Specifically, the lack of adequate grounding on the AC outlets themselves.  While it appears that the junction boxes are grounded, the AC outlets that are mounted in the junction boxes are not grounded to the junction boxes.  In fact, the original AC outlets do not have a third prong (ground) to receive today's plugs.  As I have gone through the house and painted rooms, I have replaced the AC outlets with the three prong type.  However, grounding those properly has been a problem as access to a grounding wire has not been available in every case.

I had a satellite TV system installed in this house several years ago with multiple receivers and the installation guy couldn't get them to work initially.  It turned out that having multiple receivers that didn't have a true common ground was the cause of the problem.  Digital equipment like that is very finicky about ground loops.  The problem was resolved by driving a grounding rod into the ground outside by the connection blocks for the satellite system and wiring the rod to the blocks, thus establishing a true common ground for all the satellite receivers in the house.

Remembering that incident now, it makes sense that digital communications (Powerline adapters) across my home's AC wiring could have similar problems.  I do not have any knowledge concerning communication protocols between a Mcell and a router.  One might think that it could be an issue with this particular router but since I have so many other items connected to my router without any problems, I have to conclude that the digital signal between the router and the Mcell is being corrupted somehow by a ground loop problem with the Powerline adapters. 

The design of the Mcell circuitry apparently does not automatically recover its connection with the iPhones once the Mcell connection to the router is lost in this particular case.  Simply unplugging the Ethernet cable to simulate a lost connection does not accurately mimic the problem since my iPhones maintain their connection when doing so.  I would have to conclude that some bits are getting corrupted in the communication protocol between the Mcell and the router by the Powerline adapter's ground loop problem.  The Mcell sees a lost connection to the internet and drops the iPhone's connection and in this case, the iPhones have to re-establish a connection to the Mcell through an Airplane Mode toggle in order to clear the communication corruption in the Mcell.  This is conjecture on my part but it sort of makes sense.

At any rate, I don't think Powerline adapters are inherently problematic when used with a Mcell if the wiring system of the house is done correctly.  Otto, since you are the keeper of the holy knowledge of the Mcell, I would suggest that you tuck this bit of information away in your troubleshooting database and add the question about Powerline adapter usage when responding to Mcell users with a problem like mine.

I'll post back after I get several more days of Mcell operation without Powerline adapters.  If there is no repeat of the problem, then it has been solved.

While the problem with my first Mcell was somewhat different, I would agree that the issue with the last two Mcells does not now seem to show that they are at fault, especially after taking the Powerline adapters out of the system.

Since disconnecting the Powerline adapters and hard-wiring my current Mcell to my WiFi repeater, I have not had a lost connection over the past two days.  This is very encouraging needless to say.

This house is over 50 years old and the AC wiring codes were not the same then as they are now.  Specifically, the lack of adequate grounding on the AC outlets themselves.  While it appears that the junction boxes are grounded, the AC outlets that are mounted in the junction boxes are not grounded to the junction boxes.  In fact, the original AC outlets do not have a third prong (ground) to receive today's plugs.  As I have gone through the house and painted rooms, I have replaced the AC outlets with the three prong type.  However, grounding those properly has been a problem as access to a grounding wire has not been available in every case.

I had a satellite TV system installed in this house several years ago with multiple receivers and the installation guy couldn't get them to work initially.  It turned out that having multiple receivers that didn't have a true common ground was the cause of the problem.  Digital equipment like that is very finicky about ground loops.  The problem was resolved by driving a grounding rod into the ground outside by the connection blocks for the satellite system and wiring the rod to the blocks, thus establishing a true common ground for all the satellite receivers in the house.

Remembering that incident now, it makes sense that digital communications (Powerline adapters) across my home's AC wiring could have similar problems.  I do not have any knowledge concerning communication protocols between a Mcell and a router.  One might think that it could be an issue with this particular router but since I have so many other items connected to my router without any problems, I have to conclude that the digital signal between the router and the Mcell is being corrupted somehow by a ground loop problem with the Powerline adapters. 

The design of the Mcell circuitry apparently does not automatically recover its connection with the iPhones once the Mcell connection to the router is lost in this particular case.  Simply unplugging the Ethernet cable to simulate a lost connection does not accurately mimic the problem since my iPhones maintain their connection when doing so.  I would have to conclude that some bits are getting corrupted in the communication protocol between the Mcell and the router by the Powerline adapter's ground loop problem.  The Mcell sees a lost connection to the internet and drops the iPhone's connection and in this case, the iPhones have to re-establish a connection to the Mcell through an Airplane Mode toggle in order to clear the communication corruption in the Mcell.  This is conjecture on my part but it sort of makes sense.

At any rate, I don't think Powerline adapters are inherently problematic when used with a Mcell if the wiring system of the house is done correctly.  Otto, since you are the keeper of the holy knowledge of the Mcell, I would suggest that you tuck this bit of information away in your troubleshooting database and add the question about Powerline adapter usage when responding to Mcell users with a problem like mine.

I'll post back after I get several more days of Mcell operation without Powerline adapters.  If there is no repeat of the problem, then it has been solved.

148 of 232 (1,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2013 10:57:55 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for taking the time to post a very clear and concise of explanation of what you have done. PowerLine Adapters do work very well for most situations but you are correct, the house wiring needs to be very clean and modern. Older wiring may still be adequate for extending an internet connection and any momentary drop in current or grounding issues won't drastically affect your connection because the router can quickly recover and maintain the connection, but the MicroCell seems to be especially sensitive to line conditions with a much tighter threshold. This info will definitely go into my FAQ that I'm putting together. I also have a conference call with other ACEs and Support next week and this is one of the items on my agenda. In fact, there are supposed to be a couple of "MicroCell Experts" on the call so we'll see. Keep me posted.

Thanks for taking the time to post a very clear and concise of explanation of what you have done. PowerLine Adapters do work very well for most situations but you are correct, the house wiring needs to be very clean and modern. Older wiring may still be adequate for extending an internet connection and any momentary drop in current or grounding issues won't drastically affect your connection because the router can quickly recover and maintain the connection, but the MicroCell seems to be especially sensitive to line conditions with a much tighter threshold. This info will definitely go into my FAQ that I'm putting together. I also have a conference call with other ACEs and Support next week and this is one of the items on my agenda. In fact, there are supposed to be a couple of "MicroCell Experts" on the call so we'll see. Keep me posted.

149 of 232 (1,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2013 7:47:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Since removing the Powerline adapters from my system and hard-wiring the Mcell to my WiFi repeater, I have had zero dropped connections for the last eight days.  I have no doubt now that there was some sort of packet corruption going on while using the Powerline adapters which was the source of my problem.  Needless to say, the adapters have gone back in their box for now.

If anyone wants to buy a pair of Netgear Powerline Nano 200 adapters, I'll make you a really good deal.

Since removing the Powerline adapters from my system and hard-wiring the Mcell to my WiFi repeater, I have had zero dropped connections for the last eight days.  I have no doubt now that there was some sort of packet corruption going on while using the Powerline adapters which was the source of my problem.  Needless to say, the adapters have gone back in their box for now.

If anyone wants to buy a pair of Netgear Powerline Nano 200 adapters, I'll make you a really good deal.

150 of 232 (913 Views)