Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 18, 2013
8:49:50 AM
View profile
Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

While I didn't encounter this problem initially when I started up my Mcell a few months ago, it has now become a daily ritual that I hope someone here can help me with.

My setup:

Motorola SB 6120 modem -> Netgear WNR3500L router -> Mcell

The Mcell is connected to the router with a pair of Netgear Powerline 200 Nano Adapters because my modem and router are located in the basement with no exposure to window for the Mcell to see a GPS satellite.  The connection is good.

My Charter ISP connection is 30 mbps down and 4 mbps and is rock solid.

What's happening and what I've done so far:

Usually once a day I will no longer see the AT&T Mcell indication at the top of my iPhone 5.  When I check my wife's iPhone 4S she has also lost the AT&T Mcell indication.

Turning the phones off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.  Switching Airplane Mode off and then on does not bring back the Mcell connection.

The Mcell has all solid green lights when I go to check it after seeing the lost connection.  If I power cycle the Mcell, the phones will then show an Mcell connection again until the next time they lose the connection which is usually once/day but not at any particular time.

I have the latest firmware on all devices.

When I check my router's admin page after a lost connection, the router indicates that the Mcell's IP address has not changed and it remains the same after power cycling the Mcell.

On the WAN page for my router, I have set the MTU size to 1492 and set the NAT Filtering to "Open" instead of "Secured".  No improvement after doing so.

Suspicious of the Powerline Adapters, I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the Ethernet cable from the Mcell to the Powerline Adapter to mimic a temporary loss of connection to the router to see if that affected the Mcell connection.  The Mcell connection was not lost.

I have not set any open ports or a static IP address for the Mcell yet.  Is what I'm experiencing indicative of this solution?  Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what try next?

I don't want to waste my time with an AT&T Level 1 tech support person because their suggestions are almost always worthless.  I have better luck contacting user forums and that is why I'm posting here.

Thank God I was able to convince AT&T to give me a Mcell for free because if I paid $200 for it, I'd be very upset right now.

Thanks In Advance!

Avedis53

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

231 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(231)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 12:12:17 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Could you tell us how your're setup and did you buy the MicroCell new?

Could you tell us how your're setup and did you buy the MicroCell new?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Mcell requires power cycle every day to regain connection to iPhones

91 of 232 (1,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 3:40:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Geez Otto....this thread is getting popular....

Geez Otto....this thread is getting popular....

92 of 232 (1,796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 15, 2013 5:19:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes it is, unfortunately Smiley Sad We may have to start a new one. Thanks for your contributions btw.

Yes it is, unfortunately Smiley Sad We may have to start a new one. Thanks for your contributions btw.

93 of 232 (1,787 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2013 5:10:46 PM
(0)
Explorer

It's been just about a month since we received a replacement microcell and it has worked well. (The connection actually dropped today, though that seems to be because of thunderstorm activity.)

The replacement microcell is version 2.0 hardware according to the label on the bottom of the device, while the defective unit was version 3.2. Not sure that matters at all, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, when talking to technical support I asked if they were familiar with people complaining of batteries not lasting as long when using a microcell, and I was told, yes, that may occur because of the microcell and cellphone maintaining a connection constantly and not being able to use a lower power state.

Everyone at AT&T was very helpful and followed up to make sure we received the replacement device and that it was working.

Thanks to Otto and everyone in the forum for your help as well,

It's been just about a month since we received a replacement microcell and it has worked well. (The connection actually dropped today, though that seems to be because of thunderstorm activity.)

The replacement microcell is version 2.0 hardware according to the label on the bottom of the device, while the defective unit was version 3.2. Not sure that matters at all, but I thought I'd mention it.

Also, when talking to technical support I asked if they were familiar with people complaining of batteries not lasting as long when using a microcell, and I was told, yes, that may occur because of the microcell and cellphone maintaining a connection constantly and not being able to use a lower power state.

Everyone at AT&T was very helpful and followed up to make sure we received the replacement device and that it was working.

Thanks to Otto and everyone in the forum for your help as well,

94 of 232 (1,713 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 21, 2013 6:19:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Stephen570 - I'm glad that AT&T came thru and you're up and running (relatively trouble-freeSmiley Wink). Some phones, even within the same model, have better power management than others. I find that my iPhone 5 lasts about 3 days before I need to recharge it. But that was also true when we recently went on vacation for a week and were not around our MicroCell. My wife's old Samsung 3G lasts about 7-10 days (but she doesn't have a data plan).

@Stephen570 - I'm glad that AT&T came thru and you're up and running (relatively trouble-freeSmiley Wink). Some phones, even within the same model, have better power management than others. I find that my iPhone 5 lasts about 3 days before I need to recharge it. But that was also true when we recently went on vacation for a week and were not around our MicroCell. My wife's old Samsung 3G lasts about 7-10 days (but she doesn't have a data plan).

95 of 232 (1,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 5:06:54 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by Stephen570 on May 22, 2013 at 5:07:32 PM

It appears I spoke too soon.

The microcell is dropping frequently -- as often as every few minutes. I don't know how long it's been doing it since we just noticed it yesterday.

It's not the same problem as with the last unit. That one never appeared to go down by the lights on the front, but the signal would drop and phones would not be able to connect to it until the microcell was power cycled.

This one will have all lights but the power light go out at the same time and then come back up like the normal power up sequence. The internet connection appears to be solid (I've been listening to internet radio or watching Netflix when this has happened), and bandwith is more than adequate as well.

I tested what the behavior would be if the internet connection dropped by disconnecting the ethernet cable and only the light below the power light went out. So, whatever is happening doesn't appear to be related to connectivity.

Any thoughts before I contact support?

Thanks.

It appears I spoke too soon.

The microcell is dropping frequently -- as often as every few minutes. I don't know how long it's been doing it since we just noticed it yesterday.

It's not the same problem as with the last unit. That one never appeared to go down by the lights on the front, but the signal would drop and phones would not be able to connect to it until the microcell was power cycled.

This one will have all lights but the power light go out at the same time and then come back up like the normal power up sequence. The internet connection appears to be solid (I've been listening to internet radio or watching Netflix when this has happened), and bandwith is more than adequate as well.

I tested what the behavior would be if the internet connection dropped by disconnecting the ethernet cable and only the light below the power light went out. So, whatever is happening doesn't appear to be related to connectivity.

Any thoughts before I contact support?

Thanks.

[ Edited ]
96 of 232 (1,674 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 6:38:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That is very odd. If it was your power light momentarily going out I'd consider replacing the ac adapter, but that would be too easy. The light below the power light is the internet light so it makes sense that it would go out if you disconnect the ethernet cable. However, without internet connectivity, the other lights should go out as well, but maybe not right away. This could be the same issue you had with your previous MicroCell. I'm not convinced of the "accuracy" of the lights on the MicroCell. Is your router/modem plugged into the same outlet as the MicroCell. Maybe the outlet is faulty and your're getting brief power outages or drops which would affect the MicroCell's connection but not the power. I have mine (gateway, router, MicroCell) connected to an APC UPS which gives me consistent power and time to properly shutdown my internet should we lose power.

That is very odd. If it was your power light momentarily going out I'd consider replacing the ac adapter, but that would be too easy. The light below the power light is the internet light so it makes sense that it would go out if you disconnect the ethernet cable. However, without internet connectivity, the other lights should go out as well, but maybe not right away. This could be the same issue you had with your previous MicroCell. I'm not convinced of the "accuracy" of the lights on the MicroCell. Is your router/modem plugged into the same outlet as the MicroCell. Maybe the outlet is faulty and your're getting brief power outages or drops which would affect the MicroCell's connection but not the power. I have mine (gateway, router, MicroCell) connected to an APC UPS which gives me consistent power and time to properly shutdown my internet should we lose power.

97 of 232 (1,663 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 7:00:00 PM
(0)
Explorer

Great minds think alike -- I have the cable modem, router, and microcell on an APC UPS as well.

In addition to the lights indicating a different problem than that with the last unit, when the lights come back up on this one the cell phones reconnect to the microcell network (while a powercycle of the microcell was required in the previous case).

The ethernet cable tests ok and the location has been good for obtaining a GPS signal.

I'm going to plug the microcell directly into the cable modem and keep an eye on things through the weekend. I'm also going to call the cable company and ask if they've had any problems with connectivity or routing issues.

Thanks, Otto.

Otto Pylot wrote:

Great minds think alike -- I have the cable modem, router, and microcell on an APC UPS as well.

In addition to the lights indicating a different problem than that with the last unit, when the lights come back up on this one the cell phones reconnect to the microcell network (while a powercycle of the microcell was required in the previous case).

The ethernet cable tests ok and the location has been good for obtaining a GPS signal.

I'm going to plug the microcell directly into the cable modem and keep an eye on things through the weekend. I'm also going to call the cable company and ask if they've had any problems with connectivity or routing issues.

Thanks, Otto.

Otto Pylot wrote:

98 of 232 (1,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 22, 2013 8:02:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Do you lose connection at anytime of the day or is it during a specific time frame? Being as you have cable internet access, maybe it's a capacity issue for your area, resulting in your ISP to have to make some routing changes. It only takes a split second at times to lose connectivity to AT&Ts servers which would result in a lost phone connection. Your internet use may not notice it but the MicroCell might. It shouldn't be that way but .......

Have you tired port forwarding to a static assigned IP addres for the MicroCell based on its MAC address? If you are briefly losing internet, then a DHCP assigned address for the MicroCell may take longer than normal so the MicroCell justs shutsdown until it's told (re-booted) to look for a connection. Speculation on my part but the MicroCell can be flaky at times.

Do you lose connection at anytime of the day or is it during a specific time frame? Being as you have cable internet access, maybe it's a capacity issue for your area, resulting in your ISP to have to make some routing changes. It only takes a split second at times to lose connectivity to AT&Ts servers which would result in a lost phone connection. Your internet use may not notice it but the MicroCell might. It shouldn't be that way but .......

Have you tired port forwarding to a static assigned IP addres for the MicroCell based on its MAC address? If you are briefly losing internet, then a DHCP assigned address for the MicroCell may take longer than normal so the MicroCell justs shutsdown until it's told (re-booted) to look for a connection. Speculation on my part but the MicroCell can be flaky at times.

99 of 232 (1,641 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 3:34:22 PM
(0)
Explorer

Just a quick update:

I've had the cable company out and they've tested the wiring in the house and the lines outside (I saw them go from pole to pole) and will be continuing to monitor over this weekend.

I've also had the microcell display a flashing red 3G light -- after a couple power cycles it went green.

There does not seem to be any issue with any particular time of day. I'll wait until I talk to the cable company again before coming to any conclusions.

Just a quick update:

I've had the cable company out and they've tested the wiring in the house and the lines outside (I saw them go from pole to pole) and will be continuing to monitor over this weekend.

I've also had the microcell display a flashing red 3G light -- after a couple power cycles it went green.

There does not seem to be any issue with any particular time of day. I'll wait until I talk to the cable company again before coming to any conclusions.

100 of 232 (1,575 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 3:54:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I've had the flashing red 3G light also.  Just once and a power cycle cleared it.  I've been running essentially trouble-free since replacing my Mcell.  I've had a couple of flashing green 3G lights since replacing my Mcell but they did not require a power cycle to clear.   It was during the day so I doubt it was an update from ATT but who knows?

I've had the flashing red 3G light also.  Just once and a power cycle cleared it.  I've been running essentially trouble-free since replacing my Mcell.  I've had a couple of flashing green 3G lights since replacing my Mcell but they did not require a power cycle to clear.   It was during the day so I doubt it was an update from ATT but who knows?

101 of 232 (1,571 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 6:34:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Did either one of you try a hard reset (pressing in the reset button on the back and holding it in for about 30 seconds)?

Did either one of you try a hard reset (pressing in the reset button on the back and holding it in for about 30 seconds)?

102 of 232 (1,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 7:27:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

It was a while ago....I may have.

It was a while ago....I may have.

103 of 232 (1,533 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2013 8:33:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Try it again. I just don't unerstand why the 3G light is starting to blink red again on your replacement MicroCell (you did get it replaced, right?). It seems to work and then stop. I'd almost have to suspect something is happening to your connection (ISP?) causing it to lose connectivity and then not reset itself properly. Do you ever notice the power light to go off or blink?

Try it again. I just don't unerstand why the 3G light is starting to blink red again on your replacement MicroCell (you did get it replaced, right?). It seems to work and then stop. I'd almost have to suspect something is happening to your connection (ISP?) causing it to lose connectivity and then not reset itself properly. Do you ever notice the power light to go off or blink?

104 of 232 (1,524 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 9:04:15 AM
(0)
Contributor

would love for otto pylot to contact me so help me with getting my Time capsule running 6.1 to see my micro cell I do not see a way to PM, I have had my micro cell runnning in Priority for about a year. It contantly drops out and i have to resrt everything. also it brings my internet speed to a trickle. I am at my wits end and about to pay up to swithc to verizon. please contact me. Thanks sorry for the hijack. 

would love for otto pylot to contact me so help me with getting my Time capsule running 6.1 to see my micro cell I do not see a way to PM, I have had my micro cell runnning in Priority for about a year. It contantly drops out and i have to resrt everything. also it brings my internet speed to a trickle. I am at my wits end and about to pay up to swithc to verizon. please contact me. Thanks sorry for the hijack. 

105 of 232 (1,479 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2013 9:13:43 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Ryanhdd - just click on my name and in the right hand side you'll see the Contact box. There's a link that says "Send this user a private message", or something like that. Are you using the Apple Extreme Base Station with Time Capsule? That shouldn't affect your speeds at all, but....... Detail how you have your MicroCell setup. I don't use Time Capsule but I do have my AEBS setup for port forwarding to a static assigned IP address for the MicroCell.

@Ryanhdd - just click on my name and in the right hand side you'll see the Contact box. There's a link that says "Send this user a private message", or something like that. Are you using the Apple Extreme Base Station with Time Capsule? That shouldn't affect your speeds at all, but....... Detail how you have your MicroCell setup. I don't use Time Capsule but I do have my AEBS setup for port forwarding to a static assigned IP address for the MicroCell.

106 of 232 (1,476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 7:18:25 AM
(0)
Explorer

I've now tried the microcell at two additional locations -- one somewhat nearby on the same ISP (cable), and one 10+ miles away on a different ISP (DSL). The problem is exactly the same. I think it's time to click the blue envelope, lol.

I've tried the standard troubleshooting, including reset, attaching directly to the modem, etc.

I've now tried the microcell at two additional locations -- one somewhat nearby on the same ISP (cable), and one 10+ miles away on a different ISP (DSL). The problem is exactly the same. I think it's time to click the blue envelope, lol.

I've tried the standard troubleshooting, including reset, attaching directly to the modem, etc.

107 of 232 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 8:21:04 AM
(0)
Community Support

Hi Stephen570,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be contacting you shortly to help with your microcell.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

Hi Stephen570,

We received your private message and one of our managers will be contacting you shortly to help with your microcell.

Thanks!

Nicole K.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question?  Send us a Private Message.  We are here to help Monday - Friday. For additional support, please visit AT&T Support Center  or Contact AT&T.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCustomerCare • FaceBook AT&T • YouTube AT&T

108 of 232 (1,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 9:04:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@Stephen570 - contacting CustomerCare, either thru the blue message envelope or directly thru the link in my sig is the proper next step. I just noticed that you have a Nokia Lumia phone. There have been quite a few reports of problems like yours with Nokia phones connecting/disconnecting with the MicroCell when other phones connecting to the same MicroCell are not having any issues. I'm beginning to think that there is some sort of firmware issue with the Nokia's either due to a Nokia update or a MicroCell update that results in spordic connectivity. That makes troubleshooting very difficult becuase Nokia won't investigate the issue (it's not their problem) and AT&T doesn't have any control on how a specific mfr implements their protocols for femtocell connectivity. If you get it resolved, let us know or pm me with the resolution so I can add it to my "database" of possible MicroCell fixes.

@Stephen570 - contacting CustomerCare, either thru the blue message envelope or directly thru the link in my sig is the proper next step. I just noticed that you have a Nokia Lumia phone. There have been quite a few reports of problems like yours with Nokia phones connecting/disconnecting with the MicroCell when other phones connecting to the same MicroCell are not having any issues. I'm beginning to think that there is some sort of firmware issue with the Nokia's either due to a Nokia update or a MicroCell update that results in spordic connectivity. That makes troubleshooting very difficult becuase Nokia won't investigate the issue (it's not their problem) and AT&T doesn't have any control on how a specific mfr implements their protocols for femtocell connectivity. If you get it resolved, let us know or pm me with the resolution so I can add it to my "database" of possible MicroCell fixes.

109 of 232 (1,409 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 9:35:41 AM
(0)
Explorer

Otto, I haven't had any problems with this microcell or the previous one that were specific to my Nokia Lumia. Both times there were a mix of phones (Nokia Lumia 920, HTC Windows Phone 8x, and iPhone 4s) and all were affected.

With the first microcell, the microcell became unavailable to the phones (dropping calls if you were on one) and requiring a reboot. All lights remained on, as if there was no problem. Turning the cellphones off and back on would not result in them reconnecting to the microcell -- only a microcell reboot would "fix" the situation for a variable period of time.

The replacement microcell appears to be restarting or dropping the connection to AT&T (I can't be certain if the power light flickers when it happens or not -- I've spent a lot of time staring at it to try and determine that). The internet, GPS, and 3G lights go out and then come back up like a normal start up sequence. Based on log files, the microcell is requesting an IP address each time this happens, which leads me to believe the microcell might be restarting and not just dropping the connection to AT&T.

In a way I was hoping I could pin the current problem on the ISP, but having taken the microcell to other locations and trying a different ISP with the same results I'm pretty sure it's the microcell.

Otto, I haven't had any problems with this microcell or the previous one that were specific to my Nokia Lumia. Both times there were a mix of phones (Nokia Lumia 920, HTC Windows Phone 8x, and iPhone 4s) and all were affected.

With the first microcell, the microcell became unavailable to the phones (dropping calls if you were on one) and requiring a reboot. All lights remained on, as if there was no problem. Turning the cellphones off and back on would not result in them reconnecting to the microcell -- only a microcell reboot would "fix" the situation for a variable period of time.

The replacement microcell appears to be restarting or dropping the connection to AT&T (I can't be certain if the power light flickers when it happens or not -- I've spent a lot of time staring at it to try and determine that). The internet, GPS, and 3G lights go out and then come back up like a normal start up sequence. Based on log files, the microcell is requesting an IP address each time this happens, which leads me to believe the microcell might be restarting and not just dropping the connection to AT&T.

In a way I was hoping I could pin the current problem on the ISP, but having taken the microcell to other locations and trying a different ISP with the same results I'm pretty sure it's the microcell.

110 of 232 (1,401 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 9:48:16 AM
(0)
Explorer

One more reason I think the microcell is restarting and not just losing the connection to AT&T briefly is that if the microcell is attached directly to the modem and the wireless router is connected to the microcell all devices lose connectivity when the microcell drops.

Stephen570 wrote:

One more reason I think the microcell is restarting and not just losing the connection to AT&T briefly is that if the microcell is attached directly to the modem and the wireless router is connected to the microcell all devices lose connectivity when the microcell drops.

Stephen570 wrote:

111 of 232 (1,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 10:09:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that your replacement Mcell has borked from what you've described. 

While there is a remote chance that your AC adapter is faulty, there is very little to them.  A transformer and a rectifier with most likely a fusible link to protect the output.  If an AC adapter goes bad, it's the fusible link that blows and that's the end of the adapter.  No power cycling  as you've described.

Save yourself the troubleshooting headaches and demand that AT&T give you another replacement Mcell. 

I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that your replacement Mcell has borked from what you've described. 

While there is a remote chance that your AC adapter is faulty, there is very little to them.  A transformer and a rectifier with most likely a fusible link to protect the output.  If an AC adapter goes bad, it's the fusible link that blows and that's the end of the adapter.  No power cycling  as you've described.

Save yourself the troubleshooting headaches and demand that AT&T give you another replacement Mcell. 

112 of 232 (1,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 10:57:46 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would have to agree with Avedis. If you've done all of the troubleshooting (cable, cable connections, reboot, de-activation/re-activation, hard reset, proper positioning, priority mode, router config, modem/gateway config, etc), with the exception of maybe port forwarding, then yes, ask for a replacement. The ac adapter can cause issues as well if there is fluctuating power. Maybe not enough to trip the power light but enough to momentarily drop a connection and confuse the MicroCell so that it can't reconnect. Email CustomerCare in my sig if you haven't done so already.

I would have to agree with Avedis. If you've done all of the troubleshooting (cable, cable connections, reboot, de-activation/re-activation, hard reset, proper positioning, priority mode, router config, modem/gateway config, etc), with the exception of maybe port forwarding, then yes, ask for a replacement. The ac adapter can cause issues as well if there is fluctuating power. Maybe not enough to trip the power light but enough to momentarily drop a connection and confuse the MicroCell so that it can't reconnect. Email CustomerCare in my sig if you haven't done so already.

113 of 232 (1,379 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 11:14:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If power quality (ie. sag, swell, flicker, undervoltage, overvoltage) were the problem, I would hazard to guess that Stephen570 would be seeing issues with other electronic components in his house as well as his lights.

If power quality (ie. sag, swell, flicker, undervoltage, overvoltage) were the problem, I would hazard to guess that Stephen570 would be seeing issues with other electronic components in his house as well as his lights.

114 of 232 (1,373 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 12:48:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Unless it was the ac adapter itself starting to fail or the specific outlet that it's plugged into. Definitely fishing here but....

Unless it was the ac adapter itself starting to fail or the specific outlet that it's plugged into. Definitely fishing here but....

115 of 232 (1,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 1:50:22 PM
(0)
Explorer

UPS/battery backup on the modem, router, and microcell. And, let me tell you, I've swapped cables, wiggled wires, etc. trying to isolate the problem.

UPS/battery backup on the modem, router, and microcell. And, let me tell you, I've swapped cables, wiggled wires, etc. trying to isolate the problem.

116 of 232 (1,357 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 3:18:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I don't doubt you've tried everything and I'm doing what I can to help so I feel your frustration. My ac adapter is also plugged into a UPS battery backup but I was thinking about the adapter itself.

I don't doubt you've tried everything and I'm doing what I can to help so I feel your frustration. My ac adapter is also plugged into a UPS battery backup but I was thinking about the adapter itself.

117 of 232 (1,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 3:36:27 PM
(0)
Explorer

I'm nothing but thankful for your (and others') help here, Otto. Please don't take any comments I make personally. When I said, " let me tell you, I've swapped cables, wiggled wires, etc. trying to isolate the problem," I should have added an "lol."

I'm actually laughing at the situation -- imagine me turning up at a friend's house looking frazzled, carrying a microcell, ethernet cable, and AC adapter, and asking, "do you mind if I borrow your internet connection for a bit?"

lol

I'm nothing but thankful for your (and others') help here, Otto. Please don't take any comments I make personally. When I said, " let me tell you, I've swapped cables, wiggled wires, etc. trying to isolate the problem," I should have added an "lol."

I'm actually laughing at the situation -- imagine me turning up at a friend's house looking frazzled, carrying a microcell, ethernet cable, and AC adapter, and asking, "do you mind if I borrow your internet connection for a bit?"

lol

118 of 232 (1,347 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 5, 2013 6:09:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm not taking it personally. I really do feel your frustration. Been there, done that. It's just that I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

I'm not taking it personally. I really do feel your frustration. Been there, done that. It's just that I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

119 of 232 (1,329 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 14, 2013 7:06:02 AM
(0)
Voyager

As of this post several weeks after the last we have only had a dropped call once, due to an internet problem.  What we did is turn the M Cell so that the right side, as you face the lights, is toward the window and put the M Cell first in line after the modem.  The ethernet goes to our router after the M Cell.  I don't know if these changes made the difference or if the call to ATT customer care did.  ATT was responsive although I never did do an in depth trouble shooting session with them.  We couldn't seem to find a time that worked to do it, and the dropped calls stopped after I took the steps above.  If the issue re-occurs I will be back to ATT.  Note that we did not make any other changes to settings or to the phones, and that our nearest cell tower is far away, only one bar reception.

As of this post several weeks after the last we have only had a dropped call once, due to an internet problem.  What we did is turn the M Cell so that the right side, as you face the lights, is toward the window and put the M Cell first in line after the modem.  The ethernet goes to our router after the M Cell.  I don't know if these changes made the difference or if the call to ATT customer care did.  ATT was responsive although I never did do an in depth trouble shooting session with them.  We couldn't seem to find a time that worked to do it, and the dropped calls stopped after I took the steps above.  If the issue re-occurs I will be back to ATT.  Note that we did not make any other changes to settings or to the phones, and that our nearest cell tower is far away, only one bar reception.

120 of 232 (1,233 Views)