What is happening with 3G?
walkintheson's profile

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

Monday, April 6th, 2015 4:29 PM

M-Cell Signal Won't Load or Hold on Phones - All Lights Green

My phones will not hold onto M-Cell signal, and will not automatically connect to the M-Cell when I arrive home/come back from outage unless I power cycle or cycle in/out of airplane mode!

Issue started on 3/27. I came on forums and saw nothing related, so I assumed my unit was malfunctioning.

• I connected the new M-Cell unit by 4/2... setup took ~25 mins, successful
  • Phones would not automatically connect to M-Cell signal
  • Power cycled phones - then they connected to M-Cell
  • Let phones sit overnight - All dropped M-Cell connection and would not re-connect without Airplane mode cycles
  • Everytime the phones disengage from M-Cell connection (i.e. leave home, M-Cell or internet outage, mystery drop??) THE WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY RECONNECT without power cycle or airplane cycle
  • ATT phone support is clueless on the issue

This issue is real!!

ISP: Comcast Cable (28mps down, 7mps up) - stable internet service since issue began

Modem: Motorola SurfBoard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem

Router: Netgear R6300 WiFi router

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

There are reported issues from various parts of the country where the MicroCell and/or the phone won't stay connected to the MicroCell. It's hard to determine the cause because various factors can come into play and it's difficult to narrow down the causative agent.

Some temporary fixes can be toggling Airplane Mode, disabling LTE, and Reset Network Settings (you will lose pw's doing that), and enabling/disabling hand-off. If your phone is a Samsung I'd check for any updates.

You didn't say but I'm assuming that all of the lights on the MicroCell have stayed a solid green (no blinking green or red) which means the connection to the AT&T Mobility servers is still good.

AT&T is keenly aware of this issue and has moved resources to figure out the reason why and hopefully to correct it, soon. The problem is it's not throughout the entire MicrCell Service Area Networks so it's hard to nail down.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

Same issue here.  See thread "Phone to microcell connection dropping a lot, never comes back" which the moderator closed off after I was insulted and pointed it out.  Hopefully they won't censor me here.

I opened a case with ATT, and they were supposed to call me back Friday and never did.

walkintheson, what kind of phone do you have?  If an iPhone 5 or 5S make sure LTE is turned off in the cellular settings.  See if it ever connects with LTE turned on - that would be useful information.  Our 5S phones and the neighbor's 5S will never connect with LTE on.  Reset network settings will likely do you no good, and you lose all your wifi passwords.

My suspicion is bad firmware sent to our microcells.  Can never prove that one way or the other though.

Nate

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Didn't I just cover that in my response (disabling LTE, toggling Airplane Mode, Reset Network Settings, disabling/enabling hand off)? Those are basically the only 4 temporary workarounds, that have workd for some but not all, for phones not connecting/getting dropped from the MicroCell. The same problem can be caused by various factors.

The reason you may have felt insulted is that you keep posting the same information over and over again without any real help to the OP, and the mods, as well as quite a few others here, have gotten tired of it.

We want to keep the forum as helpful as possible and disseminate information when we can confirm that it has helped some. Not eveyone will get their issue resolved, or resolved quick enough. The forum is not intended to be for personal rants or attacks on AT&T, especially when the same complaints are posted time and time again, sometimes under separate subject headings, by the same individual.

AT&T is working on this and hopefully a fix will come soon in the way of an update.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

I am not responding to you Otto, or the moderator will close this.

Please note that I was the very first to point out turning off LTE to connect to the microcell.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

And I have posted incredibly useful information.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

@nategold wrote:

I am not responding to you Otto, or the moderator will close this.

Please note that I was the very first to point out turning off LTE to connect to the microcell.

On page 18 and 21 of the Tech  Guide disabling LTE is mentioned as a possible "fix" for loss of connection. The last version was uploaded in Oct. 2014 but the LTE mentions are in earlier versions. Maybe in a future version I'll try to make that a little bit clearer.

Positive contributions by any poster are always welcome.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

I don't know why I even bother with AT&T tech support.  I opened a case last week and just got a text message:

AT&T Free Msg: The investigation of your Technical issue is complete.  If you have additional questions, please call 877-971-5016. Thank you for choosing AT&T!

So I call and what do they say?  The microcell is being overwhelmed by the cell signal and getting interference.  Yeah right!  I have 2 bars of 4G cell service, or else I wouldn't need the microcell in the first place.

So they are saying there is no problem.

Talking with them (a supervisor this time) is useless.  They again maintain that it is Cisco that pushes firmware and they have no idea whether new bad firmware was pushed to me, no idea what firmware is in my mcell, no idea about anything.  They obviously on a technical level have no idea what the firmware is doing.  They tell me to call Cisco!  Right, like Cisco is going to talk to me.  This is an AT&T product and all they say is that they don't manufacture the product.  Pushing the buck to Cisco, who has absolutely no reason to talk to me.  Needless to say I will not be calling Cisco.

As you can tell, I am disgusted.  This is a lousy product, AT&T won't stand behind it, all they do is tell me my cell service is fine.  If my cell service was fine I would disconnect the microcell and throw it away.

They supposedly are keeping the case open but I have no hope they will ever fix this.

Grrrr.....

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

..... and we have told you that there is a problem (in fact I posted a nice little list of questions and answers).

...... and we told you that there probably was not a firmware push by anyone and you eventually agreed.

..... AT&T told you that your cell service is ok which technically it is. You can use your phone everywhere else, but your home. I take particular exception to that reasoning because it is bogus. You should be able to use your cell in your home as well (given the "natural" restrictions of location, building materials, etc).

..... can't please everyone.

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

9 years ago

You may say there is a problem but ATT says everything is just fine.

I didn't say there was no new firmware pushed. I said it smelled like that but I don't know one way or the other.

Teacher

• 

17 Messages

9 years ago

Otto - yes "Solid Green" lights is the norm...

Phones: iPhone 4, 4s, and a "basic" flip-phone... all 3 have had the issue

Phones also drop the M-Cell connection in the middle of conversations.

I have a service engineer contact appointment tonight, will post results if anything significant happens.

I also have not disabled hand-off, but will try that today.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.