What is happening with 3G?
BVMays's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, August 29th, 2015 3:01 AM

Issue with Microcell GPS coordinates. Can't get resolved.

We have nearly zero cell coverage where we live in Kentcuky. I broke down and purchased a Microcell. After a few days on the phone with tech support we found that the GPS coordinates for my house were about 15 miles from where it actually is! This created an error when the Microcell tried to verify where it was.

It worked flawlessly for about three months. It was great to actually use our phones. AT&T should really give these out freely because they make all the difference(and the customer pays the wifi bill!). Well the same problem is happening all over again. I get various errors but I am convinced that it is either an issue with the billing address or the GPS. All lights are green. I am on my 8th round of calls to tech support and I cannot get anyone to listen and address the issue. I actually received a text today stating that "my issue has been resolved" lol. 

Does anyone know how to get real help? Every call ends up with the rep sending an email and opening a "case" but these don't seem to be getting anywhere. I work in customer support myself and I understand how it is, but this is becoming very frustrating. Thanks. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

9 years ago

Rural connections are very difficult because quite often the E911 coordinates don't match the locational database. Do you have a "regular' street address or is it a route or p.o. box address? What is your setup and ISP?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Hey, thanks for responding. We have new "911 addresses" here. Well, its been about 15 years since they were changed. So now its supposed to be easier to locate. I have Zito Media for an ISP, 30 meg service through an Arris CM550A cable modem gateway. I bought a new Linsys EA6200 router just to be sure that wasnt the issue(and an excuse). I use cat 5E and have a good GPS signal. 

The account is in my fiances name, and she used have her billing address not far down the same highway at her mother's house. Maybe the mixup was in the coordinates the Microcell is at are not matching the billng address. Anyway, we moved the billing address to the same place we are using the Microcell. I think a tech may have entered our GPS coordinates to represent my fiances mother's house instead of ours, and now its causing errors. 

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

I have also moved the power plug around and done hard resets of the microcell. I still get green lights on the box and errors trying to register.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

This is the most recent error. Its been showing this for about 11/2months now. I only call AT&T on the weekends so its making this drawn out.

FTC175: System is temporarily unavailable. Please try again at a later time. If the problem persists, please call 800-331-0500. /n [AFA|AddFemtocellAddress|20000000013]

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

9 years ago

Ok, this is a little confusing. Basically the person who registers the MicroCell needs to have a post paid account. Once that is done, you can move the MicroCell to another location and just change the address of the MicroCell's location, provided you are in a MicroCell Service Area (which, if you can get a marginal cell signal you probably are).

We need a little more information on your setup etc. to be able to help.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

9 years ago

Definitely need more information about the OP's setup.  The Arris CM550A is not a gateway.  It is a modem only.  You would need the router (Linksys EA 6200) so you can connect the Mcell as well as other devices to your network.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks Avedis53. You may have to babysit the forum today cause I'm having all kinds of issues with Lithium today (the forum designer not the drug Smiley Wink).

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for checking out my post. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back in touch. What do you need to know about the setup? The Microcell is the older version. I got it new still in plastic wrapping, never registered. I got the older one to have access to the gps antenna plug in case I needed it. I hasnt been a problem though. 

And sorry about the gateway, I guess it is just a cable modem. I had a netgear WNDR4500 set up with DDWRT before, but it was acting up and I found a great deal on that Linksys so I got it. I havent tampered with it yet. It seems to be a very solid router. 

Anyway, I first set up the MCell back in January I think and it took several calls until I got a great CSR who sent emails to the right IT people. When the GPS issue was resolved, it worked perfectly for about three months straight. The issue we guessed was that the GPS coordinates werent listed correctly in the system that AT&T uses. I found the correct ones and an IT person must have added them when it began to work. The only thing I can guess is that somehow those old coordinates are back for my address now. I sent feedback today to GoogleMaps letting them know about the error. I wonder if I could do like you stated and set the MCell up at another location, then move it here and list the address that is listed on google instead of the actual address? HA that would probably mess things up worse than they already are. 

Ive tried hard resets, moving to new oulets/circuits in the house, changing ethernet around. Nothing seems to work. If you need to know anything just reply and Ill try my best to answer. Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.1K Messages

9 years ago

A GPS Bypass is not a permanent fix as you have seen. The problem reappears when AT&T does periodic maintenance at night. Part of that maintenance is verifying location. If the satellite GPS coordinates don't match, the system tries to verify location by using the closest tower. If that fails, the address can't be verified and connectivity is disabled.

Moving the MicroCell to another location with an established address will probably work for that address but once you move it back you'll have to put in an address that is verifiable so you're back to the same problem.

Where did you get the address to give AT&T? I would get your GPS coordinates from your local Emergency Services because those have to be accurate for E911 calls.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I have to admit, I was under the impression, a mircocell, at heart, is a radio signal amplifier.

I had not a clue, they require a gps location anything to work.

So now, I am really curios.. how comparable is a microcell to a fixed wireless device, or even a home based hot spot?

I am something of a gadget geek, and love finding out the particulars of how stuff work.

Thanks for putting up with my curiosity.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.