What is happening with 3G?
doug5702's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, June 21st, 2011 4:41 AM

Is the MicroCell worht it?

I am considering getting a Micro Cell – I’m getting some conflicting information on how the device works. I want to be able to place and receive calls on my cell from the Micro Cell as well as send and receive Text Messages etc.

I’ve heard you can only place calls and no one can call in to your cell while on the MicroCell? This seems like a big waste of money if it is true.

I imagined all of the features you would be able to access on a regular cell tower would be available with the Micro Cell is this not true?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

396 Messages

13 years ago

You'll probably get some conflicting answers to your base question..."Is the MicroCell worth it?"   Keep in mind that forums like this are mostly where people come who are looking for a solution to a problem.  Having said that, my answer to your question is a definite yes.  My MicroCell makes a day-and-night difference in usability of cell phones in our house.

You can absolutely make and receive calls through the MC and send and receive text messages.   A limitation at this time is data upload speed which is capped around 200 kb/s.  Sending a photo via SMS can be a little slow but it works.

Also, expect that if you leave the MicroCell coverage area while on a call and have macrocell coverage when you do, your call should hand-off to a macro tower.  The reverse is not true.  That is, if you're on a call when you walk in to the location where the MC is the call will not hand-off to the MC.   You 3G phone will switch to the MC once in range but only when a call is not already in progress.

I expect you will get a barrage of replies from those who have had problems with the MicroCell.  My suggestion is get one and try it.  You have 30 days to return it if it disappoints you.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

13 years ago

I have owned a microcell for over a year. The only persistent problem I continue to have is an occasional dropped call, probably due to the issue described in the previous post. Data connectivity via the microcell seems to be more reliable than in the past, when I had continual connection failures, although for the past month, I have only been connecting via wifi. Voice quality has been excellent throughout. I did have very infrequent trouble with not receiving incomming calls, but that only happend maybe twice for a short period. If you do decide to purchase, there's some good information in this forum to assist you. All in all, if I had to do it all over again, I would.

Scholar

• 

216 Messages

13 years ago

@doug5702 wrote:

I am considering getting a Micro Cell – I’m getting some conflicting information on how the device works. I want to be able to place and receive calls on my cell from the Micro Cell as well as send and receive Text Messages etc.

I’ve heard you can only place calls and no one can call in to your cell while on the MicroCell? This seems like a big waste of money if it is true.

I imagined all of the features you would be able to access on a regular cell tower would be available with the Micro Cell is this not true?

I agree with the others who have replied.  Some people, like me, love the microcell.  I couldn't get a signal in my office and now I can.  Other have had bad luck with it.  I would buy one, test it out, and if it doesn't work withing the refund period, return it.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you for your information it was helpful

Guru

• 

367 Messages

13 years ago

Works about half the time. It frequently needs to be rebooted and occasionally phones won't connect. If your coverage is real bad get it but don't pay full price.

Explorer

• 

35 Messages

13 years ago

Hi,

I got one for use in a basement and sure I got 4-5 bars but with that I would get dropped calls all the time (calling or receiving) and then there is the added 500ms delay to the people who you are talking to, I think this device is good if you had little to no signal; however, even in the basement I get 3-4 bars with ATT (there is a local tower nearby) so in the end, I did not find it too useful.

I could never stay on a call longer than 45minutes during the weekdays, but on the weekends 4-8AM it would be fine, go figure.

Justin.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

13 years ago

They are worth it if you have bad service. My service was marginal, so I tried one. I dropped a lot of calls in my home when it switched from microcell to macrocell. Decided to set it up at my girlfriends house where the coverage is bad, and it works great.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I can't say for sure. Att offered this service to me basically I send in a 100 rebate form and they reimburse me the balance. Me thinking this was a great deal took the offer since my service at home is sketchy. I came home connected it as instructed could not activate it. Did the trouble shooting and called support after 24 hours. Only because it says it might take that long to connect. I was informed in my area it is not available until July 7th. Can you believe this. I am soooo mad at ATT right now.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

I have the mf279 and Att said it wouldn't help that or cell because it had to be hooked to broadband. Conflicting info. I need a better connection

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@tinydangers - the MF279 is for wireless internet. It is not for making/receiving cellular phone calls if your question is in regards to cellular calls due to poor in-home coverage.The MicroCell has reached it's EOL but when it was in production and being sold by AT&T, you could use it to connect to your internet service to reach the AT&T Mobility servers for cellular calls. However, it was intended for land-based internet service only. It was not designed for satellite or wireless broadband.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.