What is happening with 3G?
CharlieSchorner's profile

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 8:12 PM

Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Hey folks - 

I was able to locate a small issue that was logged over the weekend but it was fairly quickly resolved. It impacted some, but not all of the areas indicated in this thread. 

If you're still having an issue with your Microcell and aren't already working with AT&T, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare with your name, account number, email address, phone number and the best time to contact you.  

To send a private message, you can either click on the link in this message or click on the little blue envelope in the upper right hand corner, click "compose new message" and type ATTCustomerCare in the "Send To" field.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Mine is still down and they are telling me I need to buy a new one because mine is out of warranty.  It seems that if updates killed it then I shouldn't have to buy a new one.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

@joelsplace wrote:

Mine is still down and they are telling me I need to buy a new one because mine is out of warranty.  It seems that if updates killed it then I shouldn't have to buy a new one.

joelsplace

That's a good one even for AT&T, since they give these things away to the folks they want to.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@jumpdawg wrote:

@joelsplace wrote:

joelsplace

That's a good one even for AT&T, since they give these things away to the folks they want to.

AT&T gave MicroCells away to some who had a documented history of issues in hard to service areas that couldn't be resolved. I don't know if they are still doing that or not.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

@Otto Pylot wrote:

@jumpdawg wrote:

@joelsplace wrote:

joelsplace

AT&T gave MicroCells away to some who had a documented history of issues in hard to service areas that couldn't be resolved. I don't know if they are still doing that or not.

I used the ATT app (Mark The Spot) that documents bad, dropped and no service locations in my account for my cell phone. After 30 or so days of marking my bad spots (my home location) a few times a day, I had a documented history in my account which convinced AT&T to comp me a MicroCell at no charge.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I used the ATT app (Mark The Spot) that documents bad, dropped and no service locations in my account for my cell phone. After 30 or so days of marking my bad spots (my home location) a few times a day, I had a documented history in my account which convinced AT&T to comp me a MicroCell at no charge.

Companies love metrics and something like that is hard to retute.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

They also sent out coupons for free ones that seemed completely random.  My son got a coupon and he never complains even though his service is terrible.  I complain all the time because I'm supposedly in a "best coverage" area but get constant dropped calls and I didn't get a coupon.  I got my son's Microcell that worked fine at his house and registered it to my account.  It is still down with a flashing 3G light.  They said I need to buy a new one because mine is a "very old unit" right after they told me it was 15 months old.  I guess anything past the year warranty is "very old".  Does anyone know how to get in touch with someone that knows anything about the Microcell?  Everyone I've talked to is limited to reregister/reboot/plug it in somewhere else.  They don't know how they work, what ports they use or what ports are, what DHCP is, what a switch or MAC address is.  I made the mistake of telling them mine was plugged into a switch.  They told me that they aren't tested to work through a switch but they are tested to work plugged into a router.  How many home routers have you seen that don't use a switch?  (I realize that there have been some single port routers that don't have built in switches but how long has it been since you've seen one of them in use?)  I'm wondering how they communicate with the mothership if they don't go through switches?

Help!

Some way to actually see what is going on from the Microcell would be a big help.

The last person that called me also told me there have been no Microcell outages in the last couple of weeks.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Some info that I discovered and haven't seen here:

A fast flashing link light means it detects a network but hasn't been given an IP address.  If your DHCP server is down you will have this problem.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I'm back up!  Thanks to a suggestion from Jamie Gilbert I pushed the reset button on the Microcell and within about 15 minutes it was activated.

Here's how I did it:  With the Microcell powered up I held the reset button in and watched the lights.  The 3G light went through various sequences of flashes and finally went out.  I ended up holding the reset button for about 30 seconds.  I released the button and then the Microcell didn't seem to do anything for about a minute and then it appeared to reboot and go through the normal power up sequence.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm glad you're back up. If you read my previous post I did suggest a hard reset but maybe you didn't see it between the time I posted and you talked to support (I'm assuming that's who Jamie Gilbert is).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.