What is happening with 3G?
CharlieSchorner's profile

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 8:12 PM

Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

Voyager

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

The 3G light has been flashing green almost 24 hours now. I have tried unplugging/recycling microcell but still have no microcell service. I don't know what number to call to inquire about status of a tower.

Voyager

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I have had flashing 3G lights almost 24 hours now and am frustrated. It has worked perfectly for 2 years. I have recycled numerous times to no avail.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I am in Houston.. Same problem here. It worked fine untill this morning. Move the Microcell next to my window. GPS and 3G lights are still flashing green.. Hope they fix it soon.

Thanks for the info!

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

I live in the Houston, Tx area.  I just called AT&T and they have confirmed that there is definitely a microcell outage in the Houston, Texas area.  There is no estimated time for AT&T to repair the problem, but "The problem does not lie in your set!"  Not much we can do except wait till the "flashing green" 3G light goes to solid green on its own. 

At least we know that there is not reason to make hardware changes to your microcell systems.  The problem is at the source end.

Hope this helps. 

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

I know several people in the East Texas area experiencing the same issues as described. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@AnClar wrote:

Just tried another experiment...I moved the MCell to a window with a clear view of the sky...device would still not get a GPS lock after an hour.  I checked on the MCell management page, and my device is still listed as activated.  I'd sure give a lot to know what the heck is going on.

Just for the record, the proper location for a MicroCell is within 18" of a window with an unobstructed view of the sky. I believe that's mentioned in the instructions. Also, keep it about 2' away from a WiFi source (i.e. wireless router). You can place the MicroCell away from a window if you connect an external GPS antenna to it. The MicroCell needs to have continous GPS lock (access to the sky) to work properly.

Ok. It does sound like it's an AT&T issue because of the flashing green 3G light. If you haven't moved the MicroCell away from a window (which you should never do once GPS lock is achieved) then you'll just have to ride it out, which sucks. GPS lock is not only critical for tower communication (frequency setting, etc), it's also necessary to confirm GPS coordinates for AT&T tower location (confirmation), E911, etc.

Scholar

• 

232 Messages

11 years ago

Only reason I mentioned this is because the location I've always had it in, on a table near my computer, has worked just fine for over a year now.  I've never had a problem with getting GPS lock from that location until today.  Just wanted to see if anything related to GPS might be causing a problem.  From what I'm seeing here, seems that AT&T has acknowledged a problem with MCell service in Texas.  All I can do now is to wait until they get it resolved and see if that fixes the GPS lock issue as well.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I'm experiencing the same issues in San Antonio.  First 3 lights on solid, the 3g light (the light with the bars) is flashing.  

Started about 10pm last night.  Powercycled microcell, modem & router.  ISP is uverse.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@AnClar wrote:

Only reason I mentioned this is because the location I've always had it in, on a table near my computer, has worked just fine for over a year now.  I've never had a problem with getting GPS lock from that location until today.  Just wanted to see if anything related to GPS might be causing a problem.  From what I'm seeing here, seems that AT&T has acknowledged a problem with MCell service in Texas.  All I can do now is to wait until they get it resolved and see if that fixes the GPS lock issue as well.

Well just hang in there and hopefully it won't take too long to get resolved. I did send a pm to CustomerCare about the lack of information but it appears that they are starting to acknowledge the outage.

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

I made a quick call to AT&T customer care at 1-800-331-0500 and they quickly acknowledged the outage covering several areas across Texas.  Very helpful folks!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.