What is happening with 3G?
CharlieSchorner's profile

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

Sunday, November 4th, 2012 8:12 PM

Is the MicroCell Service Down?

Around mid-morning on November 1, my MicroCell went offline and has not been able to connect since. Everything else on my network is behaving normally and I've had no interruption in my Internet service. So, I was wondering if someone might know if there's a problem with the service in general? Perhaps something weather-related? If not, is there a way I can verify that my device is ironies not malfunctioning?

Thanks!

Charlie

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

Agreed, absolutely. I've already reconfigured my router in preparation for making that change this evening.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

@CharlieSchorner wrote:

Agreed, absolutely. I've already reconfigured my router in preparation for making that change this evening.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

I think it's worth mentioning again that these devices are going down and coming up without customers altering things in their network topography or changes to the ISP's network. From a birds-eye view here at the ISP office, I can see that there are wide swings in traffic to the AT&T MicroCell netblock depending on whether things are working or not, particularly on port 4500. I find it unfortunate that the end users are having to invest so much time and hassle into this issue, as from here it's not looking like their fault at all.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

^^^^ I would agree with that. It seems that the MicroCells are "fragile" in that any network changes at all can really confuse them. Some, like mine, are really robust and stable but others are not. With AT&T, VZ, etc constantly tweaking their cell networks with updates, fixes, what not, the MicroCell just has a hard time adjusting. That's why I heartily recommend port forwarding to a static IP, following the instructions to the letter as far as window location (or use of an external antenna), etc goes, and the use of some sort of UPS. Even then, some still have issues Smiley Frustrated

Voyager

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

GPS Signal I know I have a borderline situation with the Microcell picking up a GPS signal under a metal roof! I used to thing I was OK getting a GPS signal at this location because a manual reset would restore Microcell service. (GPS Signal successfully found) I now do not think this is true for the automatic restarts the microcell does when communication is lost. I noticed an unmarked port on the microcell that is the SAME AS AN EXTERNAL GPS ANTENNA PORT ON A HANDHELD GPS DEVICE I have. I searched for a powered external GPS antenna and found one at: http://www.gilsson.com/garmin_gps/antennas/mcx25b.htm I installed this external antenna and have it located right next to a window that ai verified a GPS signal at. I have not found that I have lost a microcell operation since doing this 3 weeks ago! To be sure, there is occasional loss of communication at Charter (my ISP) and AT&T (both microcell servers and local AT&T towers) on occasion and this can cause the microcell to stop functioning. If this has happened in the last 3 weeks, the microcell has been able to automatically restart and function on its own WITHOUT my intervention! I have found NO MENTION of an external GPS antenna option for the microcell anywhere on the AT&T support site. Hope this helps those having Microcell problems and provide more flexibility picking microcell locations. (I realize this will not answer all issues to achieve successful Microcell operation.) Also, keep in mind that the Microcell must see some AT&T cell tower signal to function properly . This was in the AT&T support web site in one of their FAQ answers.

Explorer

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

FWIW, I have a metal roof and have never had any issues with GPS lock. The GPS is for their locational database to verify your location in proximity to a tower and for the 911 locational database. However, speaking of 911, there are issues with ANY cell phone call to 911, same as VOIP calls to 911. Unless you call 911 with a landline, you should ALWAYS use the 10-digit emergency number when calling from a cell phone or VOIP line.

I agree, it would have been nice for AT&T to include an external antenna or at least make in an optional purchase for those who couldn't place their MicroCell within 18" of a window but at least the folks here have figured out what kind of antenna works best and where to purchase it.

Explorer

• 

22 Messages

11 years ago

Some additional information on the GPS antenna connector on the back of the Microcell.  A GPS signal lock is required for the Microcell to operate.  GPS data is used by the Microcell to know what frequiecies that AT&T is licensed to use in the area the Microcell is located.  The GPS location is also used by the Microcell to know which macrocell (large cell towers) are adjecent to the Microcell, also used to know which cell frequencies are available to use.  This is in addition to 911 location info.

The GPS connection on the back of the microcell is an MCX connection (not an MMCX).  I purchased an adapter from L-Com (Part#CA-MPNFCN19) that allowed me to connect a 70 Ft type high quality "N" cable to an external GPS antenna.  It now takes all of 10 seconds for a GPS lock on the first floor and has been operating reliably for over a year.  It never loses a GPS lock, and my microcell has been "down" no more than a few minutes total during the past year.   A GPS lock is required 100% of the time for the Microcell to operate.

My microcell unit is on the first floor, and I needed the longer cable to get to get my external antenna into an area clear of trees on the second floor.  "typical" external mount GPS antennas for automotive use have the required MCX connector. 

There are many choices on the internet for GPS antennas with an MCX connector in the $18 to $25 range with 15 to 20 Ft cables that will allow you to obtain a GPS lock near a window.

The antenna connection on the back of the device has nothing to do with cellular signal strength, only GPS signal strength.  The cellular antennas (there are two of them inside the unit) for the Microcell are small metal traces on the circuit board inside the Microcell and are not accessible to the end user. 

Teacher

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

Just a quick update.... I've finally gotten some phone conversations and email correspondence with escalated AT&T techs, but so far our customers are just not getting any love. People have in some cases spent hours messing around with port forwarding and every other possible configuration on their end, one guy even working with his THIRD new MicroCell, and I can see that the MicroCells are indeed attempting to 'phone home'. But it's not solving the basic issue: the AT&T servers just don't appear to be responding properly. There's *some* traffic coming in from them, just not on port 4500 except in very rare transient cases and even then only a tiny trickle of data as opposed to the volume we'd seen in the past when these devices are working. So... we all wait for what AT&T can come up with. Really hoping I can post up a more positive update soon.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm wondering if this is not a regional thing. Port 4500 is indeed one of the ports needed for proper data flow but I haven't seen any indications of any issues in my area related to Port 4500 .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.