What is happening with 3G?
hdang24's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, July 10th, 2013 8:50 AM

Is 3G Micro Cell is still free?

We have been custormer with AT&T for a long time. Last year we moved into a new apartment complex and due to its location we experience horrible signal inside our house. Not just getting tire of stepping out side to make a call but what worst is that we have been missing a lot of phone calls from other people. I heard that AT&T gave out this unit one time in the past but are they still giving it to their loyal customers anymore?

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

See what Otto Pylot has to say about the Microcell...

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/What-is-a-Microcell/m-p/3225567#M8738

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T gave out the MicroCell to some of it's customers a year or so ago but there was no obvious reason why some got one for free and others didn't. Being a loyal AT&T customer probably had nothing to do with it. I've been with AT&T since the days of PacBell (before Cingular) and had to purchase mine. All you can do is document with support the difficulties you are having with cell phone reception and you may be able to purchase one for a slight discount, but that's not guaranteed. Keep in mind that living in an apartment may pose its own set of unique issues when using a MicroCell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'm glad that worked for you. Most won't be so lucky. The corporate stores have to buy (albeit at a huge discount) their MicroCells and then get reimbursed by AT&T if Support approved. If not, getting a MicroCell the way you did is purely at the kindness of the corporate store Manager (which was really cool).

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Good luck with that. It is in no way a guarantee that you will get a free MicroCell. In fact I think it's highly unlikely now. I do have a conference call with the other ACEs and support on Tuesday and that is one of the points for discussion so we'll see what they have to say.

Mentor

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I didn't say it was a guarentee, but it is always worth a shot to save $200.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

We'll see what they have to say after tomorrow's meeting. If there's a way, I'll let everyone know.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Even tho they are a little pricey ($150-$200).  I have had mine for around 3-4 years and I don't have any problems with it and we initally bought it cuz we were in a basement but, a couple months later we moved into an apartment and we didn't have any service so once we got AT&T hooked up we haven't had any problems since.  So, I highly recommend getting one.  You can also add up to I think 5 other phone numbers so if you have family or friends that have AT&T they can use it so they will have the same great service you do.  We also added a feature so whenevr we are connected to the MC the minutes we use don't count against our monthly limit soi we were actually able to drop our monthly plan down and it worked out to be cheaper even with the cost of that service ($20/mo) so that's something else to keep in mind and ask about.  I really hope this helped you out and in my opinion I would def get the MC and the service so when your connected it don't count against your monthly minutes.  Sorry so long but, I just want to give as much info as possible.  Just keep in mind if you don't use your phone at home a lot then the extra wouldn't benefit you.  So, maybe for a month try it and see if it helps and if it does keep it if not cancel it.  We were on the 900 and after we tried it we were actually able to knock it down to the 450.  GOOD LUCK I really hope this helped and again sry it was so long

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the post. BTW, you can add up to 15 mobile phones on a single MicroCell and it will support up to 4 voice or data users at once.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi,

I just signed on to the AT&T Community Forums.  We have had AT&T Mobility service "forever" and just found out about the (former) offer of a FREE MicroCell.  No one told us about this offer and we have been living in a dead zone since before cell phones were invented (we moved into our home in 1972).  We just thought that our dead zone was "the way it is" and that nothing could be done about it.  In order to use our cell phones (we have two lines), we have to drive about two (2) miles to get service.  We also have AT&T home and business landline service and never received any offer of a FREE MicroCell for our mobile phones.  Our Verizon friends can make and receive calls from our home and we, embarrassingly, tell them we live in an AT&T DEAD ZONE.

We have been a loyal, paying AT&T customer for many, many years; is there any solution, except for spending $200, to get cell phone coverage at our home???

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

11 years ago

I have an informational document on the MicroCell that I will be posting on Monday and one of the items discussed is the "free" MicroCell.

When the MicroCell was first introduced (2009-2010), AT&T identified some areas with poor coverage and offered some of their customers a MicroCell free of charge. It was basically a marketing move. Other individuals, who had documented issues of little or no coverage were also given a MicroCell free of charge. That program has since ended and there are no current plans to start the program again. The length of time that you've been an AT&T customer has no bearing at all on whether you can get a free MicroCell or not. What you could do is call support and document your lack of coverage and ask what your options are. Be nice because there is only so much the phone support people can do. At best, you may be able to get one at a discounted price. Some people have been able to get them discounted at the local corporate store but that is totally up to the store manager and is definitely not company policy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.