For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
vlad2277's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 26th, 2016 8:27 PM

I can't hear anyone for first 10-15 seconds

Hello, could someone help me resolve my 3G MCell issue I'm having for past several weeks.

We have 4 iphones registered with MCell in the house (2 iphone6, and 2 iphone 6s). All were working fine for almost 2 years, but now all those phones have a same common problem:

when receiving incoming calls, or placing outgoing calls, we cannot hear anything for the first 10-15 seconds of the call, after call is answered. Then in's back to normal.

This is what I have tried:

Disconnected MCell. No issues with the calls.

Reset MCell. This did not resolve the problem.

Unregistered, and re-regestered MCell. This did not resolve the problem.

We have no internet connectivity or Wi-Fi issues. All lighhts on MCell device are green.

Please help!

Appreciate your support!

Thanks!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

The first thing I would do is check the ac adapter with a voltmeter. It should read 16VDC +/- 0.5 with no load. If not, it's possible that the adpater is not delivering enough power to sufficiently power the radio, even though all of the MicroCell lights are a solid green.

The other issue, which is quite common with call quality, is your line (ISP). It could be that they are doing something (maintenance, what ever) on the back end and the line is now not clean enough for VoIP, even though your internet connecivity is fine.

If you have iPhone 6's, then you can do WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) and not even need a MicroCell because the calls will use your WiFi connection and not the cellular 3G. If you do try WiFi-C you will need to either disable the MicroCell (disconnect the power) or place your phones in Airplane Mode (which disables the cellular radio) and enable WiFi Calling on the phone becuase the phones will always preferentially connect to a cellular signal over WiFi. You may have to turn your phones off and then back on again after enabling WiFi Calling on the phone before they will connect. Keep in mind that anything that affects your WiFi will also affect WiFi-C.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

I'm having exactly the same problem. No issues for years, now when I answer a call the person is garbled for 10-15 seconds. This has been going on for 2-3 weeks. Nothing wrong with the AC adapter. Did all the same stuff as the first poster did. I'm located in Denver.

Wifi calling is awful btw, I'd much rather stick to the microcell if possible, but right now it's pretty unusable. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

If this happened all of a sudden and you haven't done any hardware changes/updates I'd look at your ISP, especially in light of the fact that WiFi- C is problematic as well. I'm assuming that you are enabling Airplane Mode on your phone when attempting WiFi-C.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

We are having the exact same problem, started a few weeks ago with all phones. We have been using the microcell for 4 years with no real issues. AT&T replaced the old white Microcell with the newer black model including new ac adapter. The problem is exactly the same with the new Microcell. For us it is only incoming calls. Outgoing calls work fine. Nothing has changed in our network. We do use all iphones so not sure if it could be something specific to an ios update.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I'm having this problem as well. Incoming calls are garbled for the first 10-15 seconds. It started about 2-3 weeks ago. Adapter is fine, no changes to my ISP.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@pjbenson1 @ronm111 - poor voice quality is most often a line quality issue. Without knowing where you are, it is possible that all of the bad weather across the U.S. has affected some networks so that they have to re-route their connections. That usually has none to minimal impact on your internet service but it can cause havoc with VoIP.

I would run the VoIP test a couple of times during the day to get an average overall picture of your line quality and then post the results so we can look at them. 

It doesn't make sense that if the MicroCell is replaced, and they shipped a new adapter with it, that the problem still exists. It's possible that this is an AT&T issue but without knowing where everyone is at, it's difficult to determine if this is a MicroCell Service Area issue, a regional issue, or what. We have all kinds of flavors of iPhones here, from 3GS's all the way to a 7 and there are absolutely no issues at all, so that kind of rules out a global network issue.

WiFi-C is a much better choice if you have phones that support it. That being said, WiFi-C is only as good as your WiFi connection. So if there are issues (again your internet can be fine) with your WiFi, you will have issues with WiFi-C because AT&T's WiFi-C uses two of the same 4 ports that the MicroCell uses ( I believe that is an Apple design, not an AT&T requirement).

I would send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with what your problem is, what you have done to correct it, your account information, any trouble tickets numbers you may have, the best way for them to contact you, and your location. The more similar complaints AT&T gets, the more apt they are to look deeper into the issue. Especially if the number of complaints hits that magic tipping point and it becomes apparent that this is not necessarily a localized issue. That's where your location becomes important.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Hi Otto,

I have run tests and a ticket is open with AT&T so we are documenting it. There does not appear to be anything related to line quality as far as AT&T in concerned. They really are not sure what the issue is.

I live in Arizona so weather is likley not an issue.

We get between 1-2 bars so the wifi calling doesn't work for us, the phones still connect to cellular but the calls drop and the quality is poor.

We are in metro Phoenix area, but just one of those weird neighborhoods that has signal issues.

Since AT&T seems to be at a loss here figured I would try the forum.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

ATT has no way of determining line quality. Only you can do it from your end. WiFi-C has nothing to do with the MicroCell. If your phone(s) are capable I'd try that after turning off the power to the MicroCell.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

Same here. All of a sudden this 10-15 second silence or broken connection before I can hear the caller. They can hear me fine. I too have unplugged, turned-off and rebooted all equipment involved including micro-cell. ATT needs to look into
this!!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@mkhall wrote:
Same here. All of a sudden this 10-15 second silence or broken connection before I can hear the caller. They can hear me fine. I too have unplugged, turned-off and rebooted all equipment involved including micro-cell. ATT needs to look into
this!!

As I have been saying all along, call quality issues are most likely, but not always, a line quality issue which the ISP needs to look into because AT&T can't touch another ISP's network. That being said, there are quite a few call quality issues cropping up all of a sudden so either there are weather-related issues (ISP's needing to re-route traffic due to failing or failed switches) or it's on the AT&T Mobility server side. I would think that we'd be seeing those issues globally throughout the AT&T network but we're not. Our MicroCell's are rock solid (knock on wood Smiley Wink).

If you haven't done so already I'd do a hard reset (instructions are in my Tech Guide) and run a VoIP test (voiptest.8x8.com) at a couple of different times during the day to get a good overall average picture of your line quality.

I would also suggest sending a pm to CustomerCare (link in my sig) with your issue, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for AT&T to contact you, and your location. AT&T Network Engineers will not seriously look into issues such as these unless there are quite a few "documented" cases which point away from localized issues to a more serious Service Area problem. There has to be a certain number of complaints before the "tipping point" is achieved and Networking/IT prioritizes it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.