For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Phonegirl's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, September 5th, 2016 3:05 PM

Help Re: Micro cell booster

I have been suffering with dropped calls on iPhone and iPad in our neighborhood for about a year.  AT&T service has been terrible.  Finally have multiple trips to the AT&T store and calls to AT&T the representative yesterday agreed to send the microcell booster.  When I received an email confirmation of the shipment, it reads 'GENESIS NETWORKS TELECOM SVCS DPH154 ELE'.  What the heck is this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Interesting. DPH-154 is the correct model number for the newest interation of the MicroCell. It has a smaller footprint than the original white MicroCell's and is black in color. Funtional-wise, it is the same 3G MicroCell. I have no idea what Genesis Networks Telecom Services is unless that's the distributor they use. The MicroCell is still being mfr'd by Cisco.

Keep in mind that the MicroCell is not a cellular booster. It is a femtocell which is a tiny cellular tower in your home (hence the name "micro" cell as opposed to a macrocell, which is the tower). The MicroCell is totally dependent upon you internet service provider.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

We have good cell signal but we need wifi what do I need to get wifi

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

Our area is unavailable for u verse

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@Lhutch - to get WiFi you need an internet connection whether it be cable, DSL, satellite or wireless broadband. However, the MicroCell is only supported for land based internet services which is cable or DSL. If you are referring to WiFi Calling, you need a phone that is WiFi Calling capable and an internet connection.

If you can't get internet service, you can always look into cellular boosters which don't rely on an internet connection. They typically work very well but can be a bit pricey. Some will even work with any carrier so you're not tied to a specific provider.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

We have Verizon as our internet provider and AT&T cell phones. Our reception is terrible in our house and no one can hear us when we talk. What sort of cell booster do you recommend so that we can get 4 bars of AT&T cell service in our house? And will they work with Verizon internet or is it totally separate?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Lizziewdc - you can look at CelFi or WeBoost (Wilson Electronics). Some are specific for your carrier and some offer a range that pretty much covers most of the frequencies for a number of carriers. They are expensive, and a little more involved in setting up (they usually require an antenna on your roof that is cabled into the house) but do seem to work very well, as long as you can get one or two bars or cellular reception. They do not require an internet connection being as they actually lock on to, and boost the existing cellular signal. That's the difference between a femtocell (MicroCell) and an actual cellular booster.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Would something like a MicroCel (femtel) work for what we need?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Lizziewdc - the MicroCell does work very well for most people as long as you have a solid internet connection (suitable for VoIP), your internet service is land-based (DSL, cable, or fiber) and you have a post paid AT&T cellular account. However, the MicroCell will reach its EOL Dec. 31st. After that time, AT&T will no longer sell the MicroCell online and the only place you can purchase new ones will be at a corporate/retail store as long as the inventory lasts. After, that you'll have to go someplace like eBay but there are caveats to purchasing a used MicroCell (those are discussed in my Tech Guide, link in my sig line). AT&T says that they will support the MicroCell thru 2018 but I have my doubts on what that actually means. What you should consider is WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if your phones are capable of that. The call quality and reliability is much better. But, you will still need a post paid AT&T cellular account to take advantage of that. There is no cost involved in WiFi-C.

You didn't say what kind of account you have or type of phone(s).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.