Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forums

Posted May 13, 2014
11:04:36 AM
View profile
HELP - Microcell isn't reach my apartment bedroom

I need suggestions. The apartment is newly developed and cell coverage isn't there. I bought a Microcell and it works fine for direct line of sight coverage, but once I hit my bedroom, it completely dies off. I circled where the Microcell is located since there's a window there. It sits on top of a counter. Is this normal? The square footage is only 812 sq. ft. It seems rather limited.

I need suggestions. The apartment is newly developed and cell coverage isn't there. I bought a Microcell and it works fine for direct line of sight coverage, but once I hit my bedroom, it completely dies off. I circled where the Microcell is located since there's a window there. It sits on top of a counter. Is this normal? The square footage is only 812 sq. ft. It seems rather limited.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 13, 2014 12:49:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's why I asked about materials of construction.  While unlikely, if the apartment was constructed using steel framing, it could block the cellphones from communicating with the Mcell.  Looking at the layout of the apartment and given the location of the Mcell, the bedroom would have the most between it and the Mcell.

That you have a good WiFi signal in your bedroom and your Mcell reception is bad could be explained by the difference in the frequencies used by your wireless router and the Mcell or the signal strength.  Couple that with metal construction materials and it may be why one works and the other doesn't.  Is your Mcell at least two feet away from your router?  The router could cause interference with the Mcell if it is too close to it.

I wouldn't think your problem is cellphone related as the iPhone hasn't shown that it has this kind of problem but trying your girlfriend's cellphone and seeing if hers has the same problem will help pinpoint where the problem lies.

A pair of wireless Ethernet extenders (Powerline Adapters) could help you better centralize the location of your Mcell to compensate for your signal loss in the bedroom but be wary of the limitations.  These types of wireless Ethernet products that use the AC wiring in your apartment to communicate are subject to a host of interferences.  You could certainly try them, just be sure that  you can take them back if they won't work in your situation.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

HELP - Microcell isn't reach my apartment bedroom

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 11:21:27 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Nice diagram. Yes, that is limited coverage. I would try to locate the MicroCell in a more centrally located area if you can still maintain ethernet connection to your router. You might want to elevate it a bit higher as well. You can get extension antennas for not too much money that plug into the antenna port on the back of the MicroCell and run a small cable up to 30 or 40 feet to a window. The type of antenna connection is listed in the Tech Guide (see link in my sig). I am a bit surprised though that you can get coverage in the bathroom but not your bedroom. Do you get coverage on the patio?

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Nice diagram. Yes, that is limited coverage. I would try to locate the MicroCell in a more centrally located area if you can still maintain ethernet connection to your router. You might want to elevate it a bit higher as well. You can get extension antennas for not too much money that plug into the antenna port on the back of the MicroCell and run a small cable up to 30 or 40 feet to a window. The type of antenna connection is listed in the Tech Guide (see link in my sig). I am a bit surprised though that you can get coverage in the bathroom but not your bedroom. Do you get coverage on the patio?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: HELP - Microcell isn't reach my apartment bedroom

2 of 12 (3,006 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 11:28:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Did you buy the Mcell new from AT&T?

Do you know what the materials of construction are for the apartment (ie. steel framing)?  The Mcell should cover an 812 sq. ft. apartment without the problem you mention.

If you don't have cell tower coverage there, I would think the Mcell would set itself to its highest power.

What cellphone do you have?  Can you have another person try their cellphone with your Mcell to see if they have the same problem?  You'll have to add them as an approved user on the Mcell website and they must have an AT&T cellphone.  That way you could see if it's a problem with your cellphone or the Mcell.

Are there any other locations in your apartment where you can position the Mcell and router besides where it currently is?

Do you know what the materials of construction are for the apartment (ie. steel framing)?  The Mcell should cover an 812 sq. ft. apartment without the problem you mention.

If you don't have cell tower coverage there, I would think the Mcell would set itself to its highest power.

What cellphone do you have?  Can you have another person try their cellphone with your Mcell to see if they have the same problem?  You'll have to add them as an approved user on the Mcell website and they must have an AT&T cellphone.  That way you could see if it's a problem with your cellphone or the Mcell.

Are there any other locations in your apartment where you can position the Mcell and router besides where it currently is?

3 of 12 (3,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 11:50:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Otto Pylot wrote:

It's already at desk height level. I don't quite understand how I am able to get perfect wifi signal in my bedroom, but the MicroCell doesn't. Network interference, or just a defective unit?

A 812 sq ft. apartment isn't very big.

Otto Pylot wrote:

It's already at desk height level. I don't quite understand how I am able to get perfect wifi signal in my bedroom, but the MicroCell doesn't. Network interference, or just a defective unit?

A 812 sq ft. apartment isn't very big.

4 of 12 (2,994 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 11:57:19 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by jasyn on May 13, 2014 at 11:58:12 AM

Avedis53 wrote:

The unit was purchased from AT&T, but not from me. It is owned by my company. It seems like the regular models available on the AT&T website (unless something internally changed).

My girlfriend has a new S5 and she's on the Microcell. I haven't asked her to see if it works in there, but I will. We rarely are chatting in the bedroom. I have a iPhone 5C so I don't think it should have any issues either.

I am contemplating buying a wireless extender with RJ-45 and relocating the Microcell -- but the Microcell itself shows all bars green lit so this is weird.

Avedis53 wrote:

The unit was purchased from AT&T, but not from me. It is owned by my company. It seems like the regular models available on the AT&T website (unless something internally changed).

My girlfriend has a new S5 and she's on the Microcell. I haven't asked her to see if it works in there, but I will. We rarely are chatting in the bedroom. I have a iPhone 5C so I don't think it should have any issues either.

I am contemplating buying a wireless extender with RJ-45 and relocating the Microcell -- but the Microcell itself shows all bars green lit so this is weird.

[ Edited ]
5 of 12 (2,992 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 13, 2014 12:10:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your 5C and you girlfriend's S5 work just fine everywhere but the bedroom, then the MicroCell is working and there is obviously some interference between it and the bedroom (even tho that seems unlikely given the size of your place).

If you power off the MicroCell you get absolutely no cell phone coverage anywhere in your place, correct? If you have connection issues with the MicroCell then you should be having them everywhere and not just in one room.

If your 5C and you girlfriend's S5 work just fine everywhere but the bedroom, then the MicroCell is working and there is obviously some interference between it and the bedroom (even tho that seems unlikely given the size of your place).

If you power off the MicroCell you get absolutely no cell phone coverage anywhere in your place, correct? If you have connection issues with the MicroCell then you should be having them everywhere and not just in one room.

6 of 12 (2,986 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 12:37:56 PM
(0)
Tutor

Otto Pylot wrote:

Yes this seems logical.

There's no way to boost the signal on these Microcell's? I see the antenna is just to get a GPS signal. Not really what I need as the unit gets GPS perfectly fine.

I see in the forum there's a person that is setting up 2 Microcell's. I may try that & get a wifi extender or go ahead and get me a bluetooth speaker, and just leave my phone outside of my bedroom.

Otto Pylot wrote:

Yes this seems logical.

There's no way to boost the signal on these Microcell's? I see the antenna is just to get a GPS signal. Not really what I need as the unit gets GPS perfectly fine.

I see in the forum there's a person that is setting up 2 Microcell's. I may try that & get a wifi extender or go ahead and get me a bluetooth speaker, and just leave my phone outside of my bedroom.

7 of 12 (2,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 13, 2014 12:46:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

The idea of an extension antenna is so you can move your MicroCell away from a window to a more centrally located or convenient area (hence, better coverage) and still maintain GPS lock.

You can use a second MicroCell but that would be an overkill for an area as small as yours. If you've been following the other thread you'll note that the OP has been having difficulty using an extender. You may not, because of square footage but the absolute best way to do that is with a direct connection but that may not be possible given your layout. Is it possible to place the MicroCell in your bedroom and see if can still get coverage throught your place? Maybe even just as a test to see.

The idea of an extension antenna is so you can move your MicroCell away from a window to a more centrally located or convenient area (hence, better coverage) and still maintain GPS lock.

You can use a second MicroCell but that would be an overkill for an area as small as yours. If you've been following the other thread you'll note that the OP has been having difficulty using an extender. You may not, because of square footage but the absolute best way to do that is with a direct connection but that may not be possible given your layout. Is it possible to place the MicroCell in your bedroom and see if can still get coverage throught your place? Maybe even just as a test to see.

8 of 12 (2,968 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
May 13, 2014 12:49:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's why I asked about materials of construction.  While unlikely, if the apartment was constructed using steel framing, it could block the cellphones from communicating with the Mcell.  Looking at the layout of the apartment and given the location of the Mcell, the bedroom would have the most between it and the Mcell.

That you have a good WiFi signal in your bedroom and your Mcell reception is bad could be explained by the difference in the frequencies used by your wireless router and the Mcell or the signal strength.  Couple that with metal construction materials and it may be why one works and the other doesn't.  Is your Mcell at least two feet away from your router?  The router could cause interference with the Mcell if it is too close to it.

I wouldn't think your problem is cellphone related as the iPhone hasn't shown that it has this kind of problem but trying your girlfriend's cellphone and seeing if hers has the same problem will help pinpoint where the problem lies.

A pair of wireless Ethernet extenders (Powerline Adapters) could help you better centralize the location of your Mcell to compensate for your signal loss in the bedroom but be wary of the limitations.  These types of wireless Ethernet products that use the AC wiring in your apartment to communicate are subject to a host of interferences.  You could certainly try them, just be sure that  you can take them back if they won't work in your situation.

9 of 12 (2,962 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 6:17:11 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

So what fixed the problem? Did I miss something?

So what fixed the problem? Did I miss something?

10 of 12 (2,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 7:34:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

3 Accepted Solutions???  Maybe he thinks one of them has the answer? 

3 Accepted Solutions???  Maybe he thinks one of them has the answer? 

11 of 12 (2,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 13, 2014 8:18:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. However, if what was marked as an AS is not really a solution, the mods will remove it the link.

Maybe we'll find out tomorrow. However, if what was marked as an AS is not really a solution, the mods will remove it the link.

12 of 12 (2,907 Views)