What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

Friday, March 28th, 2014 9:25 PM

GPS ISSUES - PROPOSED SOLUTION

AT&T will be reaching out to those who responded to Dmitiry's post requesting information within the next 24 hours. They may have a fix so please follow their instructions and then post back here, and to Dmitiry if it works or doesn't work.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Auto Pylot. Many thanks for helping now and in the past.

I did the hard reset as suggested. No go. Then I deleted and added the MicroCell and still no go.

Let me know if this is the correct topic to follow. Seems that a lot of people are having this issue and are starting several different topics.

Also the AT&T Customer Service rep said that a lot of people have been having this issue. I think that this issue is probably about 99% AT&T related vs. the ISP (Charter).

Maybe AT&T set the GPS accuracy allowance to zero??? because the physical location matches the address entered in the settings.

I haven't received a response to the PM to AT&T CS yet.

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Yeah, the threads kind of got mixed up. For your issue, it might be best to start a new thread, New GPS Issue, or something like that so we can keep help directed to you consistent.

The folks who initially reported GPS issues were directed to Dmitiry (an actual AT&T employee and Mod) who sort of consolidated the issues and got support/engineers to fix it. I can't tell you what the actual problem was or how AT&T fixed it (my priviledges only go so far Smiley Wink) but I have my suspicions. From what I understand, the hard reset fixed practically all of them so you may have to pm Dmitiry as well as CustomerCare. I'll give him a heads up. I can't say one way or another if the ISP (Charter) was the problem or not. There's another poster here who has Charter here on the West Coast and he hasn't had any issues at all (neither have I for that matter). Keep us posted.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hello Otto,

I spoke w/AT&T CS and they asked that I hard reset the device (holding the reset button for only 15s), but that did not resolve the GPS coordinate mismatch Error 102.

I took the Microcell to my office and it activated in less than 5 minutes. Then I took the Microcell back home and it activated in 5 hours.

I did not delete/add the Microcell. I just activated a New location.

I'm guessing that it was the forced Neighbor List change in both locations that ultimately got it working.

This was the 2nd outtage in 4 months since initial installation. The first outtage happened w/2 months of usage and lasted for 2 weeks and was caused and resolved by Charter and was extremely difficult to get resolved since it was a Charter issue. This 2nd outtage happened 2 months after the first and lasted one week. The ATT CS rep says they did not do anything on their side to resolve the 2nd outtage. I suspect that AT&T made some Neighbor list changes in our area which caused the 2nd outtage.

Sadly I don't think that most people would go thru this hassle.

I have and have had at least a dozen VOIP services and none of them am I forced to use E911 E911 services should be optional with AT&T.

Thanks for your help contacting Dmitriy and in the past.

Regards

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I don't think it was the E911 issue per se. There are still some isolated issues with the way the MicroCell receives the GPS coordinates and then matches it to some sort of locational database. The correct physical address is important for E911 but it also confirms that the initial location of the MicroCell is within a MicroCell Service Area and that the account holder information is current and correct. What  you basically did was register your MicroCell at another location that isn't having issues and then moved it back home. That's like registering your MicroCell and then taking it to your summer home for example, which is one of the "features" of the MicroCell.

Charter in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area has been a real pain with all kinds of issues once they started upgrading their network boxes. Whether they had anything to do with this locational issue or not is hard to say. Probably not, but we do see lots of issues from your area. Don't know why.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

What is a "Neighbor List"?  I'm not familiar with that.  Does it have anything to do with the Approved User List?    Otto?

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The "neighbor list" has to do with the vertical handing over to the local macrocells (towers). During activation, the MicroCell will "look for" any local towers within its range and build a list (based on tower id info) so that the calls can be quickly handed over to the phone in the form of a "neighbor list". I'm not sure how that that would relate to the OPs issues. Have to think on that some more.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

Posted this in another thread, but feel it needs more exposure.......BOTTOM line this IS a E-911 issue(for at least 85% of us)...........and AT&T either needs to man up and correct the Database's OR modify the allowable verification distance's and delete the need for tower matching (around here in OKLA the nearest tower to me is 5-6 miles) because some of us don't really have a strong enough signal from any of them to do a Microcell much good...their should be a way to modify on an individual basis these type issues....and yes I have exchanged the microcell and the new one is doing EXACTLY the same as the one that WAS working for OVER a year non stop. I am a retired Electronics Technician and 2way Radio Technician and these Microcells are nothing more than a digitized Repeater (similar to 800mhz trunked radio systems) with GPS tied in and database verification...........ALL quickly, fixable IF you Have any Idea how to do it and Have access to the right equipment.

I am having the same problem. Around the 1st of March my microcell that had been sitting on a shelf humming away for over a year went to blinking 3G light. Now almost 2 months into this.....

This is the problem that is occuring.......After the 1st of this year (different timing for various area's) the Phase II of E-911 implementation began......I know that google earthing, talking with the people that did the survey (probably at his kitchen table) and checking, that although my house is in the same place (NW Okla, very rural) that nearly any database that can even find my location or address puts me 3 miles East of where I really am.

AT&T contracted this surveying out to multiple independant parties and they have turned in "NEW" information to the E-911 system and it appear's that these parties have done a very haphazard and poorly conducted review of addressing. From what I've put together very few of these contractor's used any GPS verification of address's and merely relied on maps and various other unverified information, then turned it in to the Wireless Carrier's.

This is a problem that will cause a very BLACK eye, especially to AT&T.

The lack of any oversite by the Wireless Carrier's or many of the E911 director's in the various state's has created a very hazardous state for many that may some day have to reliy on Emergency service's ...............not to mention the lack of wireless access.

AT&T need to get these contractor's back out quickly into the field with strict guidelines and proper maps ANNNNDDDD Gps to verify at the very least the customer's address's that are having the problems.....Then they need to go to the States E911 commission member's and raise a little ........weeeeellll.

This keeps up much longer and they are going to lose a 20+ yr customer here. I am working with a Teir 4 person now and have been for over 3 weeks and still no resolution.......as the individual who did the E911 for AT&T here basically flat refuse's to admit he made massive error's and he even told AT&T rep that he wouldn't fix it.

People add your E911 people in your state's and counties to your call and complain list...this is a massive, massive screw up a unheard of proportion.

Also I am suspecting that some issues are aggravated by some of the major internet backbone carrier's that are making changes, especially in the SSL certificates of their web servers and this MAY be biting some as I suspect that their is some kind of certificate matching that the Microcell software does to verify security in addition to the location data.

This is an issue that could use massive media coverage, because AT&T is going to keep bouncing everyone around until it bite's their bottom line!

Like I said I am in very Rural NW Okla, but my microcell worked perfectly until around the 1st of March. I am now sitting on a (more money) Static IP, ALL port blocking removed,

6 mb, Fiber OPTIC line from my ISP's server farm to my house and have spent several hours overall on the phone with the IT guys coordinating this end......But UNTIL AT&T get's off their collective duff's and actually does something ain't nuthin gona git better!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

@ Satar

I recognize your frustration but let's keep the posts to one thread.  It makes it easier for Otto and I to track the progress of help for individuals who post on this forum looking for assistance. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Agreed. I'm back but need a day to look over you issue in detail.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I am currently dealing with the Gps address issue. What I want to know is how long did it take ATT to fix the issue after there was a case created for the issue. Mine has "been sent to a team" so what exactly does that mean?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.