What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

Friday, March 28th, 2014 9:25 PM

GPS ISSUES - PROPOSED SOLUTION

AT&T will be reaching out to those who responded to Dmitiry's post requesting information within the next 24 hours. They may have a fix so please follow their instructions and then post back here, and to Dmitiry if it works or doesn't work.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Hello,

On 3/26/2014 I accidently unplugged my Mcell thinking it was my printer. Now I am unable to get my Mcell to connect. I keep getting a error message ERROR 102 the registered address does not match the actual device location.

This has happened to me in the pass, I started keeping a log. It seems that everytime that AT & T or Mcell updates their syste this happens. The last time this happened it reached the 3rd level of support and somehow somebody on that end was able to resolve it that was 11/13/2013.

I now have had a case opened since 03/27/2014. So far I have not had any logical answers. I have been told to replace the Mcell, which I tried that last year and it did not work. Not even logical to replace it if it is unable to locate me, how is a new one going to find me. I have done all the things that they have requested of me.

I have been calling 1 800 331 0500 they just say the case is still opened. I stopped by my local At & T store and was told my one of the employees that several people have come into their store complaining of the same problem. I was told that I needed to call my internet provider because that is where the problem was, with my IP address. That my interenet provider had me located wrong. I called my internet provider and they checked out everything and can see not problems. This also doesn't make sense to me, IP addresses change every 8-24 hrs.

This seems to me to be a major problem with Mcell  since my local store said over 8 people had stopped in their store, in the last week, for the same reason. I was even told to change my internet provider, This is not an option for me, Time warner wants to charge me 1000.00 to run a line to my house.

I have been using my Mcell for over 3 years, how can all of a sudden the GPS locator not be able to find me.

Please advise, I am very frustrated and do not know what to do, it is very critical that I have phone reception, at the moment I an unable to get phone calls or text messages.

Thank you in advance for any help with this,

Diane

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

IP addresses change every 8-24 hours? What kind of connection do you have? TWC did have some serious issues a few months back when they updated their network boxes causing the MicroCell to lose connectivity.

Unplugging your MicroCell should not cause you to lose connectivity once you re-establish power. Where are you located? Just city, state, and zip. There have been some GPS/address issues reported earlier but a lot of them have been fixed. I would power cycle your modem and router first and see if you can activate again. If that doesn't work, try a hard reset:

turn off the power to the MicroCell

hold in the reset button on the back of the MicroCell (you'll need a paperclip) and restore the power

keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds

The MicroCell should go thru the entire Initial Activation sequence because you've just set it back to default setting so it needs to phone home, download any updates that may be available, check the local tower for signal strength, and establish activation.

I assume that you haven't moved it or changed its position from where it was working fine before.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

ISP IP address leases can expire over a variety of time periods but I fail to see how that has anything to do with the poster's Mcell problem.  That AT&T store employee who said that the Mcell uses an IP address to locate a Mcell doesn't have a clue as to how the Mcell works.

We'll see if the power cycle/hard reset has any effect.  The poster didn't indicate that they had tried that yet.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Agree.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Hi
Yes I have done all the power reconnects. With my modem and the mcell. I have deactivated and reinstalled the mcell.
I have pushed the reset on the mcell. I get the same message. Error 102 registered address does not match the location.
I am in Denmark Maine 04022.
I have been working with the techs and have done everything possible. It just doesn't make sense that for 3 years my mcell worked perfectly and now it can not locate me.
I just got off the phone with AT&T and they are telling me they are sending me a new unit. Something to do with the update that they did and my mcell not accepting it.
We shall see if the new unit will work.
The AT & T store employee in Windham Maine is telling everyone that it's because of their internet provider and our IP address. He telling people to change their internet provider.
My provider is Fairpoint.
Diane

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The AT&T store employee doesn't know what he is talking about. Most of them don't know how the MicroCell works so asking them for help is an exercise in futility. I"m going to link your post to the Admins so they can look into this. In the meantime, I'd PM CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your problem, what  you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way to contact you, and most importantly, your location.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I agree with you on that. Thank you for any help! I have a case number if needed.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I've sent a message to the Admins and linked your post. Please PM CustomerCare though.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Starting April 9th I get a GPS location mismatch Error 102. I have not moved the MicroCell and the address entered is the physical location of the device. I have power cycled it several times. I called Customer Support and they reset it online, but it never got past the GPS/Location in Step 3 of 4 of the Activation.

I have re-activated the cell online as well, but it's still says Error 102 (FTC 231 in Step 3 of 4). I live in Fort Worth, and have Charter internet. I would like to also know the GPS coordinates reported by the MicroCell.

I have sent a PM to ATT Customer Care.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Have you done a hard reset?

Disconnect the power to the MicroCell

Hold in the reset button on the back (use a paperclip)

Restore the power while still holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds

Let us know if that works. I don't know if AT&T can, or will tell you what GPS coordinates are being sent to AT&T. My feeling is that the GPS coordinates are correct it's the process of matching them to the physical address that seems to be the problem even though your address may be correct on the activation page.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.