What is happening with 3G?
glsmith660's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, November 8th, 2016 12:11 AM

GENESIS NETWORKS TELECOM SVCS DPH154 ELE

Does this use my internet service because I am on hugesnet and have limited internet download and upload capability so I can't have a device hooked into my network that will be a drain on already limited capability

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

The MicroCell is designed for land-based internet service only, which is defined as cable or DSL. While it can work with some satellite and wireless broadband internet providers, it is not reliable and as such is not supported by AT&T or us.

As far as usage goes, the MicroCell needs to maintain a 24x7 secure VPN connection to the AT&T Mobility servers at all times. The hit on your download is minimal until you use your phone, and then the MicroCell is limited to about 3-5Mbps download speeds, which is plenty for voice. However, the more devices you have connected at any one time that can affect connectivity.

Bottom line, if you have satellite or wireless broadband, the MicroCell is not for you. Your only other choices are to use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) if you have WiFi-C capable phones or to puchase a cellular booster, which works quite well for most but can be pricey and a bit of a hassle to setup.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.