What is happening with 3G?
Chvcvkw's profile

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, March 26th, 2014 2:53 PM

Closed

External GPS antenna

Why does no one at at&t know you can plug in an external antenna into a microcell?  why does no one at at&t know where to get and external gps antenna?  why does no one at at&t know what the part number for the external gps antenna is?  Why would cisco partner with a company that wont educate it's employees on their products?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@KJLBBM - you can't. In theory, the external antenna didn't actually extend the range of the GPS radio it just removed interference so that the MicroCell didn't have to be within 18" of an open window with an unobstructed view of the sky. This was a design decision by Cisco. Apparently the GPS radio was improved a bit between the older and newer models. I haven't tested that with my MicroCell's because mine just sits on a desk next to a window and then is connected to the router in the closet.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I have a Nokia SS2FII Femtocell booster. I damaged my gps antenna cable. I contacted ATT support to get a replacement. They assured me that they would check into the issue and get back with me, they never did. After much searching, I found a replacement on Amazon, it has a MMCX type connector. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CWJ5ML8/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very disappointed in ATT support!!

• 

74 Messages

2 years ago

That one you link to will not work. The MMCX connector is correct, but that one you link to is right angle and will NOT fit in the LTE booster, take a look at your booster, it has a long narrow channel you have to fit the connector into, you need one with a straight MMCX connector.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks, I thought it may still fit. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@gtopping How did you damage the antenna? Is the connector port on the Cell Booster damaged in any way? As you have found out, AT&T does not stock replacement antennas, at least at this point in time.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Unable to locate an antenna with a straight MMCX connector, found this jumper that should work with the antenna that I ordered.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096X17GCK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Stupid mistake. I mounted the antenna on the top sash of the window but I neglected to mount it high enough. When I opened the window the bottom sash severed the cable where it comes out of the antenna. 

Live and learn....

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@gtopping You can either attach the receiving end of the antenna to the window, which apparently you can't now ☹️ or you can just lay  it on the window sill. Good luck with the replacement but due tell me how it works. It might be a useful tip to add the Tech Guide, the link of which is in my sig line.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

2 years ago

If anyone still needs help on current equipment, please start a fresh thread. This one is from almost a decade ago (2014) so don't want people getting outdated information.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.