What is happening with 3G?
Bsydnes01's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 6:02 PM

Does anyone know the IP address of the AT&T 3G Microcell device

It appears that I need to open serveral port on my router to make the unit work; however, I do not know the IP address of the device (I assume it is fixed) and it does not show up in either the network map of the computer or the status of devices/ports on my LinkSys WRT54GS router.

I have solid green indicators for:

Power

Internet

GPS

and a flashing signal indicator. ATT has been unsuccessful in resolving this after 2 days.

Any assistance in getting this working would be appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Are you using the ethernet port AND the computer port on the MicroCell at the same time? I know you said it was working fine for two years but have you done anything in your setup recently (changed configuration, updated firmware, added hardware,etc) prior to the MicroCell failing? The more devices that the MicroCell has to go thru (switches, etc) the more apt it is to have problems. The simplest connnection is always the best. Have you always used Norton? Could there be a double NAT somewhere?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I only tried the "direct connect" as a test. I tried it in both modes - with
and without the pass-thru. No internet to router with the pass-thru. I have
always used Norton w/o problems (like this). No system changes other than
normal Microsoft updates.

I don't know how there could be a double NAT - my config has not changed
(other than trying to trouble shoot the Microcell (will take it to a
friend's house tomorrow to trouble shoot it there just in case something
else in my network as gone "wonky". I suspect a defective Microcell.

It was working fine through the router before it failed.

Best Regards,

Bill

CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY COMMUNICATION: This message (including any
attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient and is assumed to
contain confidential or proprietary information. Review, publication, use
or distribution of this message, in whole or in part, by an unintended
recipient is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this e-mail and any copies.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Since you don't list any additional routers, repeaters...etc. as part of your network, double NAT isn't an issue here.

I'll bet Otto's life that your Mcell has borked but it wouldn't hurt to try it at your friend's house to make sure. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

There you go again putting my life on the line again Smiley Sad It could very well be a failed MicroCell but it doesn't hurt to look at all of the possibilites because quite often different problems can present themselves in the same way. Windows updates have no effect at all on the MicroCell because the VoIP data stream should not be going thru any computer other than the router and modem. You computer hardware is irrelevant.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

My computer hardware is relevant......to me anyway.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I meant only in the realtionship to the MicroCell. One could have a Craig Computer, nitrogen cooled, but it still wouldn't connect if the basic requirements aren't met. Did our responses get munged?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

It was a joke Otto.....and I use liquid Helium for cooling my Pentium III CPU.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Long day yesterday being frustrated with this new and improved forum Smiley Frustrated

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Great news! 

AT&T sent a new microcell and it worked perfectly; however, in order to get it to work we had to do a 15 second reset and three tries to download the software.

Based on the fact that this worked, I tried the same procedure on my old unit and it worked also. it did however stop downloading the software during the first try and we had to do another hard reset and restart the unit after which it completed the software download and finished the installation. As a result, I was able to return the newmicrocell to AT&T for a full refund.

The old one works great and I am using the pass-through capability to allow the device to be placed in a basement window so that the GPS has a clear line of sight to the satellites. It is wonderful to have five bars of signal in the basement and all over the house where I was getting zero bars in the basement and 1 to 2 bars in the rest of the house (best at times).

Thank all of you for your wonderful support and suggestions. Ultimately, an AT&T rep called who was second level trained on the microcell and was able to walk me through the whole installation process. By the way, it took over four hours for the unit to update the software so if you're trying to install one of these you must be patient. The tech indicated that it may take up to 24 hours to complete this process .You also must have port 443 open because that is the communications port that the microcell uses to communicate with the AT&T servers. Once the sport was confirmed everything proceeded normally even though the poor testers indicated that the other AT&T ports were not open.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Glad it's working. The router settings are listed in the Tech Guide (which ports have to be open), the hard reset procedure, etc. Four hours to update the firmware sounds suspicious. I think it was more like that AT&T was doing something in the background but no matter. You have a working MicroCell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.