What is happening with 3G?
Bsydnes01's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 6:02 PM

Does anyone know the IP address of the AT&T 3G Microcell device

It appears that I need to open serveral port on my router to make the unit work; however, I do not know the IP address of the device (I assume it is fixed) and it does not show up in either the network map of the computer or the status of devices/ports on my LinkSys WRT54GS router.

I have solid green indicators for:

Power

Internet

GPS

and a flashing signal indicator. ATT has been unsuccessful in resolving this after 2 days.

Any assistance in getting this working would be appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The ip address of the MicroCell is assigned by your router, not AT&T. You will need to access your router's DHCP table to see what the assigned ip address is. You can tell it's the MicroCell by the MicroCell's MAC address (which is listed on the bottom of the unit on a small sticker). If you don't see an assigned ip address for the MicroCell then you'll need to check your router settings to see why the MicroCell in not being assinged an ip address. Make sure DHCP in enabled in the router. See the Tech Guide (link in my sig) for more information.

Did you purchase the MicroCell from AT&T or from a third party like eBay or Craig's List?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Unless you assign a static IP address to your Mcell in your router settings, the router will assign an IP address to the router that can change over time (dynamic).  The Mcell will not show up on your computer's network map.

If the Mcell is connected to your Linksys, it should show up on the Linksys admin page labeled: Status>Local Network.  On that page you should click on the DHCP Client Table button.  The Mcell's MAC address should be listed there with the associated IP address that the router has assigned to your Mcell.

Has your Mcell ever worked?  What kind of modem do you have?

You may need to try resetting your router and starting over again.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

How do I set a fixed IP address for my MAC address?

I have a LinkSys WRT54GS router and the MAC address for the MicroCell does show up.

Bill

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Info for all - after checking the Linksys WRT54GL/GS does not support assignment of a static IP address from a MAC address.

Looks like I'm stuck as the Port testing SW indicates that ports 123, 500, and 4500 are blocked and they are open on the Router and the cable modem is a pass-through. Comcast indicates that they are not blocking the ports so linksys must be.

Back to ATT support!

Bill

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

AT&T support will probably not be able to help you with your router settings. I know it sounds harsh but the end-user is responsible for setting up and maintaining their own network, and that includes working with the router mfr and/or the ISP for configuration. If  you think about it, there are so many different routers, ISP's, and home networks that it would be impossible for AT&T to be current on firmware and configuration how-to's for equipment that isn't theirs. They list, in my Tech Guide, and elsewhere what the basic router configurations have to be and then it's up to you to meet those conditions. There may be some here who have your router and can walk you thru the config setup but it  won't be AT&T.

I do find it a little hard to believe that the WRT54GL/GS doesn't support the use of a MAC address for assigning a static IP address but it's been a long time since I've used a Linksys. What about a firmware update? Is there one available or are you on the most current build? And, don't always believe what Comcast, or any ISP tells you. It could be an upstream switch between them and AT&T that is failing. AT&T support can check and see if those ports are blocked but that's about all they can do. They can't tell Comcast to fix it because Comcast is notoriously un-cooperative with their competition.

Why don't you explain to us how you have your setup in a little detail and maybe there's something that has been ovelooked that we can help you with.

I also asked  you if your MicroCell was purchased from AT&T or did you buy it used. If used, it could be defective.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Comcast Xfinity blocks ports 25, 68, 135-139, 161-162, 445, 520 and 1080 for user security reasons.  These are not the ports that the Mcell uses.

I wouldn't completely trust the port testing software as they are known to indicate a port is blocked when it is not.

You are correct in your statement that your Linksys router firmware does not support static IP address assignments by MAC address, but there is a way around this.  You can replace the Linksys firmware on your router with open-source firmware like DD-WRT, which will allow you to do DHCP reservations.

You have a rather ancient router in the WRT54GS and if you don't want to mess with the open-source firmware installation, you could replace your router with one that is of current technology and speed.  Your router only supports 802.11 b/g standards.  I would consider a router that supports 802.11 b/g/n standards.

That all being said, have you tried connecting your Mcell directly to your modem, bypassing the router?  This is called the alternate setup and is covered in the Tech Guide.  If you can connect to the internet with the Mcell using this setup, then your router is the problem and this needs to be determined first before doing any router changes.

When we ask you questions, please make every effort to answer all of them as it helps us troubleshoot your problem.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Good info. Thanks.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. The device was bought new from ATT but is now out of warranty - worked for two years then stopped.

System: GigaByte MB core i7 cpu (8 threads), 16gB RAM, 240 GB SSD, 2X1 GB Raid 1TB HDDs primary data, 2X1 GB RAID 1TB HDDs data backup), 1 512GB Removeable HDD off site rotate weekly. 1KW modular PS,  HAF full tower case. Comcast HS internet, Norton security suite.

I have tried alternate configurations for the Microcell including attaching it directly to the cable modem (a Motorola SB6120).

Normally the modem is connected to a LinkSys WRT54GL which is daisey chained with an Netsys 8 port gigabit switch. I tried attaching the Microcell to 1) the router 2) the switch and 3) directly to the cable modem. The symptoms are slightl different as follows:

Attached to either the Router or switch:

1) Power indicator ON

2) Ethernet light ON solid

3) GPS ON solid

4) Signal light blinks at ~ 1 sec rep rate

Ports were opened on the Router prior to the above using port triggering - LinkSys indicated that the 3G Microcall could not be assigned a static IP address with this router and recommended a new one (EA6100) which support the MAC static IP capability but it does not support WEP (I have lots of devices including field use LTs which do not support WAP ot WAP2 so that is a concern).

Port Tester (http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/)  indicates that port 443 is OPEN and ports 123, 500, and 4500 are blocked. Linksys assures me that the ports are open on the router and comcast 2nd level support assures me that they are not blocking any of the needed ports (ran the tests with firewall disconnected on both the router and Norton Internet security).

With the Microcell connected directly to the Cable Modem:

1) Power indicator ON

2) Ethernet light blinks at 1 sec rate

3) GPS ON solid

4) Signal light blinks at ~ 1 sec rep rate

5) NO feedthru of the internet on the "computer port" of the Microcell.

ATT said that this indicates the Microcell is not able to connect to the internet but can't tell me why - I suspect that the ports are not available for it to use but the cause is unknown - any thoughts (Motorola indicates the SB6120 is a straight "pass thru" and doesn't filter or block anything.

In a normal network configuration everything (except the Microcell) works with good speed (28.5 Mbs down and 5.85 Mbs up).

I hope I have covered all of the questions.

Any recommendations?

Bill

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Given your additional information, I don't think your router is the problem.

The fact that your Mcell worked for two years and then stopped and given the symptoms you have just described, I doubt it is your router that is the problem.

I have a Motorola 6120 and can connect directly to the Mcell with no problem.  You state that the Mcell when connected in this manner has a flashing Ethernet light and 3G light.  It sounds like you have the modem connected to the proper Ethernet port on the back of the Mcell.

You have adequate bandwidth from your ISP and internet access on the rest of your network while the Mcell will not connect.

It is my suspicion that your Mcell has failed.  But first, have you tried a hard reset of your Mcell?  That's the little hole on the back of the Mcell that takes a paper clip to press the reset button inside the hole.  Power off the Mcell, press and hold the reset button for 10 seconds and the power the Mcell back up, connected directly to the modem.

If that doesn't help, then I think your Mcell has borked.

Otto?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

I have tried the hard reset (I forgot about trying it). No success.

Thanks for your recommendations - I reached the same conclusion.

Best Regards,

Bill

CONFIDENTIAL OR PROPRIETARY COMMUNICATION: This message (including any
attachments) is for the sole use of the intended recipient and is assumed to
contain confidential or proprietary information. Review, publication, use
or distribution of this message, in whole or in part, by an unintended
recipient is prohibited and may be a violation of law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete
this e-mail and any copies.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.