For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
cjmdjm's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, June 21st, 2019 1:58 AM

Difficulty logging in to the activation website

So I bought a 3g Microcell on eBay, since my wife's iPhone gets no signal at my house.

When I try to activate it using the webpage, I click "Personal account" and login successfully.  It takes me to my account home, where I can pay my bill and stuff.  But then if I go to the Microcell page again, typing in the URL again, it acts like I'm still not logged in.  It asks me to login again, when I click "Personal account" (again).  Here's the page I'm talking about.  Is this the right one?: https://www.att.com/att/microcell/?activate

This Microcell page never recognizes me as logged in, even when every other page on AT&T's website says I am logged in.

Has anyone seen this before?  I've tried both Chrome and Safari, on both my MacBook and my wife's Macbook.  Same problem.  Do i need to find a Windows machine and use Internet Explorer?

(And AT&T phone support gave up trying to activate WiFi calling on her iPhone.  Something about, she bought an AT&T Sim card, but it's not originally an AT&T iPhone, or something).

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@cjmdjm - yeah, there appears to be an issue with the page and Firefox as well. I do see the brief Flash plugin error message pop up so I'm not sure if that's related or not. I'll let the Admins know.

Which model of iPhone do you have? iPhone 6 and above are WiFi-C capable on AT&T's network, unless AT&T is not selling iPhone 6's anymore.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@OttoPylot  

She's got an iPhone 6S, which should be new enough for WiFi Calling?  I made a separate post about that here: https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Can-t-enable-WiFi-calling-on-iPhone-6s/td-p/5914746

Awesome thanks!!  Really appreciate it.  If you can notify the admins to fix the Microcell activation website, that would be great!!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@cjmdjm - Yes, the iPhone 6 is WiFi-C capable. The MicroCell reached its EOL at the end of 2017. The service itself will be discontinued as well once AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network (the MicroCell is 3G only). Used MicroCell's can be problematic (see my Tech Guide about second-hand MicroCell's, the link is in my sig line). If your phone is WiFi-C capable as well, then you should seriously consider setting up WiFi-C and  not even bother with the MicroCell.

I've sent a message to the Admins. I'll post back once I hear from them. This is a Friday though.....Smiley Sad

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

you should seriously consider setting up WiFi-C and  not even bother with the MicroCell

I would love to do that, but sadly, I've been having problems with WiFi Calling too: 

https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Can-t-enable-WiFi-calling-on-iPhone-6s/td-p/5914746

I'd consider switching to Sprint or Verizon, buying her a Sprint SIM card, but I'd be concerned that they'd say the same thing about WiFi calling with her phone.  She really doesn't want to waste money on a brand new phone, of course.

I've sent a message to the Admins. I'll post back once I hear from them

@OttoPylot  Awesome, thanks again sir!  Really appreciate your time! Smiley Very Happy

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@cjmdjm - we stopped using our MicroCell quite some time ago and use WiFi-C exclusively on all of our WiFi-C capable iPhones (SE, 7, 8 Plus, XR). Call quality and reliability is great. I would suggest disabling the MicroCell (power off) and then setting up WiFi-C again. Even though her phone is not registered to the MicroCell there could be an issue where the MicroCell cellular signal (3G) is strong enough that the phone might have an issue locking on to, and staying locked on to your WiFi. There is no way to configure the phone to preferentially select the MicroCell over your WiFi. You can also put the phone in Airplane Mode to disable its cellular radio and see if that makes any difference.

What kind of issues are you having with WiFi-C? AT&T's WiFi-C does use two of the same four ports that the MicroCell uses so if there is an issue with one of those ports you may have issues with WiFi-C, or if there is any interference with your WiFi that may also affect call quality.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@OttoPylot  We tried to get WiFi Calling working, before giving up and buying the used Microcell

What kind of issues are you having with WiFi-C?

I made another post about the WiFi calling issues we had, before buying the Microcell: https://forums.att.com/t5/Apple/Can-t-enable-WiFi-calling-on-iPhone-6s/td-p/5914746

I'll quote it here: 

So when my wife tries to enable WLAN calling on her iPhone 6S, here at our house on WiFi, she gets the following error, which AT&T support was not very helpful troubleshooting: 

"Oops! Wi-Fi Calling can't be turned on right now. Please call 611 (APP0008)"

So she bought her iPhone new at an Apple store in China, and when she moved to the US, she went to an AT&T store and bought an AT&T Sim card, and now pays an AT&T bill.  The AT&T rep she talked to said that since it's not "originally" an AT&T phone, it will never work with WiFi Calling.  Does this sound right?

We could buy a Verizon SIM card, and stick it in her phone, but I'm afraid we'd run into the same WiFi Calling problem with Verizon, where they'd say it's not "originally" a Verizion phone

I tried to search for that error code, APP0008, without much luck, it just found my own post, lol.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

5 years ago

The problem is the phone isn’t manufactured for the US.  So , no, WiFi calling will not enable on it.  

Login to your account should bring you to a screen like this one:  

2A0A0A72-1DCB-4324-8150-DA59CAC4BA88.jpeg

1 Attachment

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

5 years ago

@cjmdjm - @lizdance40  is correct. The phone needs to be for the domestic market. The same is true for the MicroCell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.