For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
RC_Idaho's profile

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

Monday, November 21st, 2016 1:37 AM

DPH-154 won't connect to internet and can't be registered

Recently my internet provider changed our connection from PPoE to fixed public IP, at our request. Every since then, my microcell has stopped working. ATT did some troubleshooting and determinedthe problem was with the year-old microcell so they sent me a replacement. The new one had the same problem. The green internet indicator continueously flashes and the ATT microcell registration page states that our microcell has not been able to access the ATT network. All internet functions elsewhere at the house and on our computers and security system are working perfectly. I have swapped out the router for another one, and still no success.

I don't understand all the firewall discussion in the MicroCell Technical Guid or the User's Manual, but other than changing to a fixed pubic IP for our internet service provider modem, nothering else has changed and the microcell has worked well for over a year.

Any suggestions?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

7 years ago

You are most graciously welcome.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Thank you for your thorough reply,

The reason to change from PPoE is that the ISP was no longer going to offer it. They wanted everyone to go to DHCP. That did not work with the cameras on our security system since the range of IPs used by the ISP did not support port forwarding. So, after months of discussions, they concluded the only way to meet our security system requirements was to give a public fixed IP. I don't know what changes this required in their system, but it was the time of this change that the microcell stopped working after over a year of perfect operation.

In contacts with them this week, their highest level network engineers have reiterated that their system doesn't block any of the ports that are needed. So, I am at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@RC_Idaho - you may not have any blocked ports but as Avedis53 indicated, your line quality is suspect given the TCP Delay and other factors. My feeling is that your line quality is the issue, and that is nothing that AT&T or us can do anything about. It's all up to your ISP to clean up your connection. Something changed once you moved over from PPoE to a fixed IP. That is all on your ISP side.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

@OttoPylot and @Avedis53

Thank you for your patience and guidance. Since I have no alternatives at my location, I will continue to work with the ISP to see what can be done to clean up the signal. The alternative that a neighbor uses is a general cell signal amplifier that is aimed at a distant tower. not perfect, but better than no service.

Again, thanks for your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@RC_Idaho - cellular boosters actually work quite well. Some of them can even work with any network so you're not tied to a specific network. However, they can be pricey and a little more involved to install. 

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks for the insight. There are advantages and disadvantages to liviing outside the metro area in the county. Beautiful vistas, but very limited services. Again, thanks for all your help.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

@RC_Idaho - Know what you mean. We're considering doing the same thing only in Oregon. If you can't use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling), which would eliminate the MicroCell altogether, you might want to seriously consider a cellular booster. I have links to two of the more popular ones (at least they seem to be) in my Tech Guide.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

I looked up the two references and checked out the web pages. $600 to $900 or more. I guess I'll try the wifi setting on my phone for now, but my home phone number (ATT home phone unit) has no means of using wifi. I may relent and get one of the boosters. Do you know which is better for ATT signal? One is cellular provider specific (CelFI) and the other (Wilson) is generic (but has less power and is more comlicated to install).

Thanks

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

7 years ago

Wait a minute.... Do you have the AT&T Wireless Home Phone (WHP) as well? I have a brief discussion of that in the Tech Guide. I would disconnect that altogether as a test and see if the MicroCell works any better. When the WHP was first introduced, there were some issues if using that in conjunction with the MicroCell. The WHP is not a WiFi unit. The same for the MicroCell. Both use a cellular connection. WiFi-C is only for your cell phone and uses your WiFi connection to make/receive calls, if your phone is WiFi Calling capable. iPhone SE's and above and quite a few Android-based phones are WiFi-C capable. Basiclly you either use your WiFi connection for calls to/from your cell phone or you use the MicroCell. You can't do both.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

7 years ago

I am not certain that I understand. I just activated wifi-call on my and my wife's cell phone after the microcell failed, My biggest concern is the home phone number that is serviced by the ATT Wireless Home Phone. It worked perfectly for the year that we have been in the house, once I had the microcell operating. Not that the microcell is not working, the WHP has only one bar and is quite unreliable. I can live with my handheld cell phones working on the wifi network, but I cannot find any way to salvage the use of the WHP without the microcell (or the boosters, possibly). The WHP has the phone number that we have had for more than 30 years, and is the number with which our friends and family are most familiar, so I don't want to lose it. Presently, ATT has forwarded that number to my cell phone since the microcell is down (temporary solution).

To summarize, the WHP and both our cellphones functioned fine with the microcell for over a year. Now the microcell (and its replacement don't work) and we have 1 bar connectivity on all cellular devices. Based on the guidance you have provided, the only practical solution is wifi calling on the cell phones and a booster to make the WHP work. Of course, if I install a booster, I'll turn off the wifi-calling on the cell phones.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.