For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
offwhite's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, September 21st, 2016 11:51 PM

Connecting MicroCell 4G to ASUS range extender

I just recieved a replacement MicroCell, now the black 4G up from the white/orange 3G model.

I had previoulsy had it hard wired to an ASUS Repeater [RPN 12] which worked great, allowing me to place the MicroCell in  a better "broadcasting" location for more coverage area. 

The new 4G device, [black one], will not connect to the internet when hard wired to the repeater. It only connects when plugged into the main wireless router, [also an ASUS, AC66U].

I have also tried moving it back to the repaeter once the connection was established but no luck..........just the flashing internet signal.It seems possible that there is a setting I might adjust in the main router which may be blocking the conncetion, but I'm unaware of what/where that would be.

I am hoping someone might have had this situation and can direct me to a work-around. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

How do you know it was the MicroCell that was having issues? Could the RPN 12 be failing? Can you check the repeater to ensure that it is operating correctly? Functional-wise, there is no difference between the white and black MicroCells. If the replacement MicroCell didn't work when connected directly to the router, I'd suggest checking the ac adapter but it doesn't sound like that's the problem. Can you determine if the AC66U sees the RPN 12?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the reply Otto. 

I have verified the functionality of the repeater - logging onto it with my iPhone and searching the internet - all good.

Also logged into the webspage for the routter on my computer and the repeater is visible and connected.

When the Cisco MicroCell is ehternet cable connected to the router it also is visble on/to the router - again all good. 

Trying connecting again to the repeater, ethernet hardwired, [same cable I used to connec to the router], everthing lights up solid except the flashing green internet connection. So no dice - I'm stumped. 

I will contact ASUS support tomorrow and see what they can do for me.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

For the sake of completeness, the DPH-154 Mcell (black model) is not 4G in case that's what you were thinking.  It connects to 4G devices but with 3G protocols for voice and data just like the previous Mcell models.

Sounds like a settings issue either with the router or repeater, most likely the repeater.  Have you set a static IP address for the Mcell in the repeater?  How about port-forwarding the necessary ports for the Mcell in your repeater settings as described in Otto's Tech Guide?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Avedis53. I missed the 4G part. The MicroCell will connect to any 3G/4G/LTE handset, but will only use 3G protocols. Some handsets will negotiate that better than others, and your speeds will be limited to 3-5Mbps, which is not to be considered throttling on AT&T's part. That's the limitation of the technology (femtocell).

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Yes i agree with Ottopyot. Please make sure that Asus repeater operating correctly. Also heck the AC adapter.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@husseymark - thanks for replying but the original post is almost 2 years old and sales of the MicroCell were discontinued at the end of 2017. WiFi-C is what AT&T, and us, are recommending now if your phone is capable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.