For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
OttoPylot's profile
ACE - Expert

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

Saturday, December 6th, 2014 12:23 AM

Charter and the MicroCell

We are starting to get reports of the MicroCell failing to connect for some Charter users in Oregon, Louisiana, and West Mass. The fact that they are all Charter users and are experiencing the same problem at about the same time indicates that this may be a Charter issue.

Back in February we saw the same sort of thing, first in Texas and then N. Carolina. Fortunately a Charter Senior Network Engineer contacted me and setup an account here. He went above and beyond to help resolve the issue which he eventually did. At that time, Charter was upgrading their network for various reasons and that required the installation of new network switches. For security reasons (which can't be publically disclosed) the new switches had to be configured. According to the engineer, they discovered that the switches had been configured wrong by the mfr which required an update from their end to correct it. What the update did is proprietary but it had to come from the Charter side. There was a lot of discussion on the Charter forums about this.  I had access to the forums but couldn't post because I don't have Charter.

The bottom line is that Charter eventually admitted that it was more than likely their problem and due to the engineer, they were able to correct it. Kudos to the engineer and Charter for stepping up. I'm not saying that this current issue is the same thing but it is very similar.

Please report any Charter issues here so we can keep track of them and please post your locations (city and state only). If I hear anything I'll pass it along here but my guess is that your MicroCell's will just start working again for some un-explained reason. You also might want to start bugging Charter support and post in their forums to see what's going on.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for the info. I hope charter will address this.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

According to my esteemed collegue, Avedis53, who has Charter, they are starting to increase speeds so my guess is that they are rolling it out in select areas first and ironing out the wrinkles before expanding.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Yeah Charter has been pushing out 'all digital' service in my area marketed as Charter Spectrum.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

...and it appears this has killed my microcell functionality. Does anyone know how to contact charter support via email or web form? I am not looking forward to going through the frontline phone support and the headache that is.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Same here... My previously perfectly functioning Microcell all of a sudden no longer works.  I do not see "Dawn's Microcell" on my phone no matter what I do to troubleshoot both the charter modem and the microcell.  My neighbor is having the same exact issue... and his began the same night mine did... PLEASE HELP.

Ponchatoula, Louisiana 70454

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Just happened to me here in Imperial Missouri, just started as of Friday(12-5-14) morning been fiddling with it since then. Spoke with both AT&T support as well as Charter.

AT&T rep was helpful whereas the Charter rep was not just kept repeating we dont block ports. I plan on following this thread and hopefully they will get this corrected.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I live in Walker and my  charter service comes out of the same location as yours. I have the same problem,  mcell working fine for 14 months then suddenly loses 3g service a couple day ago. Its a nightmare trying to report anything to charter so its probably going to take a ton of trouble reports for them to take any interest. If they have actually upgraded to spectrum service our modems may not be compatible for the faster speed but I dont know that it would have anything to do with the mcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

There's more to upgrading speeds than meets the eye. Hardware on the backend needs to be upgraded as well which could mean network switches, config settings, etc. All the MicroCell really needs is a sustained 3.0Mbps. Anything higher is not that all important unless you have lots of devices on your network so there's more "speed to go around".

There is very little AT&T can in regards to the Charter network. They did this sort of thing back in February and it took one of their own network engineers to push a fix. He no longer answers my emails so we have little recourse at this point in time. AT&T is looking into it and if I hear anything that I can pass along I certainly will. I have made AT&T aware of this thread so they will be monitoring it for new problem areas as they pop up.

All you can do at this point in time is keep bugging Charter support and post in their forums. I had access to their forums at one time to monitor the conversations but was not allowed to post being as I am not a Charter subscriber.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

We live in Hammond and our microcell stopped working on Friday.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

Hammond, as in Louisiana?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.