What is happening with 3G?
EMSMercenary's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Thursday, November 7th, 2019 7:46 AM

Cell phone extender...

I am looking to put in a cell phone extender(have no cell coverage in my trailer, but I do have the internet).  Since ATT no longer supplies/sells the MicroCell, what brand/model would you suggest?  

I have tried using WiFi calling, with limited success.  Many times(especially on incoming calls), the call will suddenly end about a minute in...  Plus, too many times the settings on my phone get changed and I have to go into settings and enable WiFi calling.

I am using a 4G LG Phoenix 4 phone(refuse to get an iPhone).  Family members have MicroCells, and my phone works fine on that system.

Any help would be appreciated?  Or, is there another alternative available?

Thanks in advance!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary - if you can get at least 1-2 bars of cellular signal then a cellular booster may work (see my Cellular Booster Guide, link is in my sig line). A MicroCell, even if you could find a used one on eBay that has been deactivated probably wouldn't work in your situation anyway. You need to have a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber) and a post paid AT&T cellular account. Being as you live in a trailer, getting the GPS coordinates to match the physical address of the MicroCell might be difficult so activation would be an issue.

If your phone keeps changing settings then that's a phone issue. There are other phones that are more robust and reliable in the Android world so you might want to look into those.

Either figure out WiFi-C doesn't work and why your phone keeps changing settings at home or invest in a cellular booster.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I have all that, just looking for a recommendation for a cell phone extender. But, I found one on Amazon for a 3-g extender, my phone is 4G, but would that still work if I used it strictly for only voice calls and text? Thank you in advance!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary - your phone should be able to throttle down to 3G. I think a cellular booster, like some of the examples given in my Cellular Booster Guide would be better, but maybe you’ll have good luck with the Amazon product as long as it adequately covers AT&T’s 3G bands.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

A cellular booster, not an extender, is exactly what I meant...

I just found your guide, am looking it over now.

Here is the reason I was asking about the 3G booster... https://www.amazon.com/Microcell-Wireless-Signal-Booster-Antenna/dp/B004F1F9P6/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1GU56BD1VK1CF&keywords=at%26t+cisco+3g+microcell.+wireless+cell+phone+signal+booster+att&qid=1573270650&sprefix=cell+phone+signal+booster+microcell%2Caps%2C188&sr=8-2

Any other microcell(they are "renewed") are over $300.

Only other ones I see are those that require installing an external "aerial" type setup.

I'm in a Katrina type trailer, with 50mbs wireless internet and cell bars vary between 0 and 2.  Had a very similar situation at my Dad's next door(brick home, but with one of those metal roofs.)  I installed it with the Microcell(which Dad talked ATT into giving him for free) next to the window until it got a signal and activated, then moved it under the desk and closer to the computer modem.

Hope this helps clarify what I was looking for.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

emsmercenary

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary - the MicroCell can work at times with wireless broadband but is not reliable and has never been supported by AT&T or us. AT&T even says as much in their literature, so I would not recommend a MicroCell for your situation. You can find them on eBay, and even if they’ve been properly deactivated if you have issues with them on a sat/wireless broadband connection, you are on your own. If you don’t want to invest in a cellular booster, and WiFi-C doesn’t work for you (possibly related to wireless broadband) then you might want to consider switching to a carrier who offers better coverage in your area. Harsh I know but that’s the reality of it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

After consulting with an ATT service guy(I trust), I bought a 3G Microcell(used, obviously, but in excellent condition)...

After completing the info online, it activated in less than 20 minutes, gave me a full cell signal, and has worked great on the initial calls and texts I placed just to test.

Whether the unit itself holds up over time is another matter, but will see.  Got it at a good enough price that if it works a year, I'm good!

BTW, you said "we" don't support Microcell(I assume your employer), but haven't seen anywhere who that is(if it is listed at all). 

Thanks, anyway, for the information, and wish me luck!!!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary - keep in mind that the MicroCell is NOT a cellular booster. It is a femtocell which broadcasts a 3G signal in a limited range that your phone connects to and then uses your internet connection to reach the AT&T Mobility servers. A cellular booster takes the incoming cellular signal and enhances it so that your phone can connect better.

The MicroCell is designed for land-based internet connections (DSL, cable, or fiber). It is not designed for satellite or wireless broadband. It can work as I said but AT&T does not officially support that those types or connections so if you have issues, then you're basically on your own. They do mention that in their literature and I believe it is also listed, in small print, on the outside of the box. The same goes for those of us who are just users, not AT&T employees, who help out here.

The current "sunset" date for the MicroCell service will be around Feb. 2021 or earlier, as soon as AT&T begins to transition away from their 3G network. Hopefully it will work for you until then.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

A rose is a rose...

If you remember back to my first post, and my reference to the Microcell already in use at my Dad's, this is exactly what was needed for me.

I appreciate the advice, but don't understand why it seemed that you discouraged the Microcell, when shown it already works in this area(his home and mine)!

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm signing off!

Walker

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

4 years ago

@EMSMercenary wrote:

A rose is a rose...

If you remember back to my first post, and my reference to the Microcell already in use at my Dad's, this is exactly what was needed for me.

I appreciate the advice, but don't understand why it seemed that you discouraged the Microcell, when shown it already works in this area(his home and mine)!

Anyway, thanks again, and I'm signing off!

Walker

Did you read @OttoPylot  full post?  
The microcell has a limited life left and will be useless once 3g is shut down.  As will 3g only phones.  So you bought yourself about a year.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I did, but apparently you read only the last post...

My phone is 4G... 

For $50 only "about" a year is fine... 

I hope to be in a different location by that time.

Thanks for the response, but I'm sure @OttoPylot didn't need anyone getting his "back".

Again, my phone is working fine, so my work here is done(ie, no more posts???)!

Walker

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.