For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
SailorWilliams's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, June 21st, 2015 12:25 AM

Can I use my MicroCell in a location that doesn't have an address?

Now that we have moved, we no longer need our microcell at our home. I would like to take my microcell to work with me so I can have cell service at work. The catch is that I work in a remote location in Alaska that has no address, no cell phone service, and obviously no need for the E911 GPS feature. The location is not a town or community. I do have broadband internet with acceptable bandwidth.

When I purchased this microcell, I had planned on taking it to work once we moved in to a location with better coverage. I asked the sales representitive about my work location and was told I would be able to do this.

When we moved to our new place the microcell stopped working due to an address miss-match. This indicates I will have the same issue if I take it to work.

How can I match the GPS location to where I work if there is no physical address? Is there a way to enter latitude and longitude. Can the GPS verification be turned off in locations where there is no 911 service?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

9 years ago

That is a tough one. If you don't have an address (regular address, no po box or rural route number) and there is no AT&T cellular at all in your area, it is highly doubtful that you will be able to use the MicroCell.

The MicroCell has to be in a MicroCell Service Area which is loosely related to the AT&T Cellular Service Area. The reason being is that the MicroCell needs a macrocell (tower) to establish its "celluar neighborhood". The tower isn't necessary for voice transmission but is necessary to establish the neighborhood (for handing off) and for location verification when AT&T performs maintenance.

There is a "manual override" that AT&T has done at times when the physical location doesn't match the received GPS coordinates but you have to be in a service area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.