For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
rjniles's profile

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

Sunday, November 26th, 2017 4:25 PM

Another Micro Cell died

Last week my Micro Cell died. Older white unit, the top 3 light were solid and green, 3G light solid red. Tried a reboot, Nada. Replaced power adapter, Nada. I always keep a spare Micro Cell on hand; went on line and activated it. 30 Minutes later I was back in service. Went on eBay and found a promising one, asked the seller for the serial number which he furnished. Went to ATT.com/MicroCell and started the activation process and the serial number cleared. Bought the MicroCell from that buyer ($60 including shipping with power supply) and it arrived yesterday. Activated it this morning and withing 30 minutes it was up and running. Placed the one I turned off on the shelf as my spare. Ready for the next failure.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rjniles - excellent! Take good care of that one because AT&T will stop selling MicroCells on Jan. 1 (once remaining inventory at the corporate/retail stores is depleted) and stop supporting them (whatever that means) by the end of the year (2018). WiFi-C will be the way to go for now on.

Scholar

• 

218 Messages

6 years ago

Otto,

WIFI calling sounds good except I will have to buy a phone that has the feature. I don't buy Apple products and I am cheap (I only buy for $300 or less). It seems only the high end Android phones have the WIFI-C. I just hope in the next year the feature becomes available on the lower cost phones. I am particularly attached to Motorola phones.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rjniles - I hear ya, but all the carriers have moved to WiFi-C, probably in conjunction with the phone mfrs to sell newer models. I do know that at present, AT&T only allows customers with post paid accounts to be able to activate WiFi-C on their network, just like the MicroCell. WiFi-C utilizes 2 of the same 4 ports that the MicroCell requires. It wouldn't surprise me that towards the end of next year or certainly early 2019 that AT&T closes the other two ports to their mobility servers essentially killing the MicroCell altogether.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@rjniles

Out of 35 phones sold by ATT currently, (including basic phones, 24 have Wifi calling.  with the exception of the B.B keyone, all the newest phones have Wifi calling.  Even the phones sold on the prepaid side.  

The budget Samsung J7 and J3 and LG K20.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@rjniles - @lizdance40 is correct. I purchased an iPhone SE from BB (I think I paid $225) as a pre paid phone but never activated it under a pre paid account. I just inserted her SIM card from her older iPhone (which is under our family post paid account) and WiFi-C worked just fine when I set it up and tested.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

WiFi Calling works great on my iPhone X, but it better given how much they cost!  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - Uhh yeah! BTW, it's official. We'll be up in your part of the country by the end of January Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

6 years ago

No doubt you have a lot to do between now and then......

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

6 years ago

@Avedis53 - actually I've been organizing, packing, and cleaning out for a couple of months now so we are a bit ahead of the game. Bull Mountain, and I think it's in an unincorporated area that may have been incorporated recently? You probably know more about that than I, but we can carry this conversation on in a pm.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.