Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 20, 2014
6:25:49 AM
View profile
Amherst, Ohio - Microcell - Flashing 3G Light

Hello All...

My name is Mike and I live in Amherst, Ohio - Approx 25 miles west of Cleveland...

I do have TWC as my Cable provider...Am using a leased Scientific Atlanta 2100 Modem, Linksys WRT54GS V7 Router and the DPH151-AT AT&T 3G Microcell...

The reason I need a microcell is that I live in an aluminum sided house and the reception is terrible inside the house.  For my work, I have recently been required to attend many weekly conference calls and need a solution that provides solid phone reception.

A couple years ago, when AT&T had the Samsung Galaxy Tablet/Samsung Galaxy SII deal, my wife and I opted for it and also spoke to the local AT&T Store manager about our reception issues...In comes the AT&T 3G Microcell...

I took it home and activated it with no issues...Over the course of a week, it did provide a boosted signal for my smartphone, but decreased the reception of the 2 Nokia 6010 phones in use at that time...

As I was the only one affected, I elected to take down the microcell, box it up and put it away in the closet...

Approx a week ago, I upgraded my pone to an LG G2 and got my wife, who is resistant to change, to start using my Samsung Galacxy SII...She now loves it...

Net, Net is that her reception is almost non-existant and mine is 1-2 bars at most...

Pulled out the Microcell and I had never disconnected it, so disconnected it and went through the activation process again ...All was fine until it came to the 3G light...

This configuration was Modem>>Router>>Microcell...I went through all the troubleshooting listed several times to no avail...

Changed configuration to the Modem>>Microcell>>.Router and same issue...The dreaded flashing 3G light!!!

In reading many of the posts, I believe the issue to be TWC blocking port 4500, but is there anyway I can test for sure???

Also, in looking into alternatives to the Microcell, I ran across the Cell-Fi...A bit of a pricey solution at $575...Do you think AT&T would split the cost with me to buy into this solution???

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance...

Mike...

Hello All...

My name is Mike and I live in Amherst, Ohio - Approx 25 miles west of Cleveland...

I do have TWC as my Cable provider...Am using a leased Scientific Atlanta 2100 Modem, Linksys WRT54GS V7 Router and the DPH151-AT AT&T 3G Microcell...

The reason I need a microcell is that I live in an aluminum sided house and the reception is terrible inside the house.  For my work, I have recently been required to attend many weekly conference calls and need a solution that provides solid phone reception.

A couple years ago, when AT&T had the Samsung Galaxy Tablet/Samsung Galaxy SII deal, my wife and I opted for it and also spoke to the local AT&T Store manager about our reception issues...In comes the AT&T 3G Microcell...

I took it home and activated it with no issues...Over the course of a week, it did provide a boosted signal for my smartphone, but decreased the reception of the 2 Nokia 6010 phones in use at that time...

As I was the only one affected, I elected to take down the microcell, box it up and put it away in the closet...

Approx a week ago, I upgraded my pone to an LG G2 and got my wife, who is resistant to change, to start using my Samsung Galacxy SII...She now loves it...

Net, Net is that her reception is almost non-existant and mine is 1-2 bars at most...

Pulled out the Microcell and I had never disconnected it, so disconnected it and went through the activation process again ...All was fine until it came to the 3G light...

This configuration was Modem>>Router>>Microcell...I went through all the troubleshooting listed several times to no avail...

Changed configuration to the Modem>>Microcell>>.Router and same issue...The dreaded flashing 3G light!!!

In reading many of the posts, I believe the issue to be TWC blocking port 4500, but is there anyway I can test for sure???

Also, in looking into alternatives to the Microcell, I ran across the Cell-Fi...A bit of a pricey solution at $575...Do you think AT&T would split the cost with me to buy into this solution???

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks In Advance...

Mike...

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 8:34:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If all of the lights are solid green, your phone is connected (it says ATT M-Cell, or something like that), then I wouldn't worry about the Acitvation Page. You should have received a text message or email as well saying that you were good to go. Again, I wouldn't worry about it , for now. As long as it works with however you have it currently setup, I wouldn't mess with it. As to why, that's anybody's guess. ISPs are norotrious for not admitting that they were wrong and the customer was right. My guess is if you called them, they would say AT&T finally fixed it. The Activation Page could need to be refreshed or updated by AT&T (as a reason why it says you're still in progress). Let us know if anything else goes wrong.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Amherst, Ohio - Microcell - Flashing 3G Light

51 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(51)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 9:02:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

AT&T will more than likely not split the cost of any device to increase cell phone strength if it is not one of their products, i.e. a MicroCell. I am not any AT&T employee, and that is just my opinion, but I think that's an accurate guess.

During the Initial Activation process, if there are any updates to the MicroCell, they will be downloaded to the unit at that time so there is nothing extra that you need to do. There are quite a few things that take place during the Initial Activation process that include the MicroCell as well as the connected phones. The details are listed in my Guide (see link in my sig). Some phones with older OS's, or ones that haven't been updated have had, at times, issues with connecting to the MicroCell, Nokia and Samsung are the two that were most often reported. That's not to say that your phones are the problem, it's just another factor to consider.

You mention that you went thru all of the troubleshooting listed but you didn't say what that was. Deactivation/reactivation, power cycle of your entire system (including the MicroCell), hard reset of the MicroCell, etc.

If TWC upgraded their network hardware like they did in KY then that may be the issue, especially if port 4500 is blocked. I would send a pm to CustomerCare detailing what your issue is, what you have done to correct it, your account information, and especially your location (link is in my sig). In the meantime, you can start to contact TWC and find out if they have done any recent upgrades and if so, ask if they can do what ever they did in KY to correct it. The ony way the KY issues were resolved was by the TWC customers complaining loud and long to TWC support to fix it. If this is a TWC hardware upgrade, then there is very little AT&T can do. The "glitch" was blamed on the vendor that they used for the upgrades and TWC had to go back to the vendor to fix it. We had a similar issue reported by another carrier who did similar network box upgrades using the same vendor and had the same problems.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

AT&T will more than likely not split the cost of any device to increase cell phone strength if it is not one of their products, i.e. a MicroCell. I am not any AT&T employee, and that is just my opinion, but I think that's an accurate guess.

During the Initial Activation process, if there are any updates to the MicroCell, they will be downloaded to the unit at that time so there is nothing extra that you need to do. There are quite a few things that take place during the Initial Activation process that include the MicroCell as well as the connected phones. The details are listed in my Guide (see link in my sig). Some phones with older OS's, or ones that haven't been updated have had, at times, issues with connecting to the MicroCell, Nokia and Samsung are the two that were most often reported. That's not to say that your phones are the problem, it's just another factor to consider.

You mention that you went thru all of the troubleshooting listed but you didn't say what that was. Deactivation/reactivation, power cycle of your entire system (including the MicroCell), hard reset of the MicroCell, etc.

If TWC upgraded their network hardware like they did in KY then that may be the issue, especially if port 4500 is blocked. I would send a pm to CustomerCare detailing what your issue is, what you have done to correct it, your account information, and especially your location (link is in my sig). In the meantime, you can start to contact TWC and find out if they have done any recent upgrades and if so, ask if they can do what ever they did in KY to correct it. The ony way the KY issues were resolved was by the TWC customers complaining loud and long to TWC support to fix it. If this is a TWC hardware upgrade, then there is very little AT&T can do. The "glitch" was blamed on the vendor that they used for the upgrades and TWC had to go back to the vendor to fix it. We had a similar issue reported by another carrier who did similar network box upgrades using the same vendor and had the same problems.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Amherst, Ohio - Microcell - Flashing 3G Light

2 of 52 (4,564 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 9:35:40 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks Otto...

Yes - I have Deactivated/Reactivated several times, power reset modem/router/microcell, hard reset microcell...

This last time, the Activation started on 2/18/14 at 10:25PM EST and the 3G light is still flashing...

I just got off a chat with TWC - An analyst and then his supervisor - As expected, they stated TWC does not block ports and there is no option on the modem to do that, it only applies to combo devices...I tried to explain the recent issue in KY and stated that I did not believe it was the modem, but a device downstream...

They won't budge and in my area, there are probably not very many folks that have a micocell, so I won't have a bunch of people calling TWC to complain...

Any other suggestions???

Mike...

Thanks Otto...

Yes - I have Deactivated/Reactivated several times, power reset modem/router/microcell, hard reset microcell...

This last time, the Activation started on 2/18/14 at 10:25PM EST and the 3G light is still flashing...

I just got off a chat with TWC - An analyst and then his supervisor - As expected, they stated TWC does not block ports and there is no option on the modem to do that, it only applies to combo devices...I tried to explain the recent issue in KY and stated that I did not believe it was the modem, but a device downstream...

They won't budge and in my area, there are probably not very many folks that have a micocell, so I won't have a bunch of people calling TWC to complain...

Any other suggestions???

Mike...

3 of 52 (4,559 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 10:20:06 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

From my understanding, the problem with TWC wasn't the user modems, it was a network box upgrade recently istalled for an upgrade to their network (probably new security protocols). Ask TWC to check the ports upstream and have AT&T do the same.

From my understanding, the problem with TWC wasn't the user modems, it was a network box upgrade recently istalled for an upgrade to their network (probably new security protocols). Ask TWC to check the ports upstream and have AT&T do the same.

4 of 52 (4,551 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 12:39:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Cel Fi product is approved and authorized by AT&T and from the reviews I've read seems to work fairly well but $575 ?!?  Ouch.

If you can't get the Mcell to work, there are other products that do the same thing besides the Cel Fi.  Wilson Electronics has cellphone booster products also but they aren't cheap either.

The Cel Fi product is approved and authorized by AT&T and from the reviews I've read seems to work fairly well but $575 ?!?  Ouch.

If you can't get the Mcell to work, there are other products that do the same thing besides the Cel Fi.  Wilson Electronics has cellphone booster products also but they aren't cheap either.

5 of 52 (4,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 1:46:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

See, that's why Avedis53 is my wingman Smiley Wink I didn't know that Cel Fi was an approved AT&T product (didn't have the time to look it up) so maybe.......

See, that's why Avedis53 is my wingman Smiley Wink I didn't know that Cel Fi was an approved AT&T product (didn't have the time to look it up) so maybe.......

6 of 52 (4,539 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 7:19:49 AM
(0)
Tutor

I emailed 'TWCable.Help@twcable.com' and asked that the email be passed on to:

Kevin T.
Time Warner Cable
Customer Care Advocate - Corporate Office of the President

This was the individual that kept replying in the KY TWC issue thread on the TWC Forum...

The reply I got back was:

"Kevin is unavailable to answer the email. In regards to the Microcell issue, I can schedule a tier 3 technician to call back and discuss the matter. What time of the day works best for you?

Thanks,
Brandon E
Social Media Representative - Time Warner Cable TWCable.Help@twcable.com"

I stated I would be available late morning/early afternoon today...

Still haven't received any replies from AT&T Customer Care...

Will let you know the outcome after the call...

So...If I can't get the Mcell to work - Otto/Avedis53 - What Wilson product(s) would you recommend to fix my problem???

Thanks In Advance...

I emailed 'TWCable.Help@twcable.com' and asked that the email be passed on to:

Kevin T.
Time Warner Cable
Customer Care Advocate - Corporate Office of the President

This was the individual that kept replying in the KY TWC issue thread on the TWC Forum...

The reply I got back was:

"Kevin is unavailable to answer the email. In regards to the Microcell issue, I can schedule a tier 3 technician to call back and discuss the matter. What time of the day works best for you?

Thanks,
Brandon E
Social Media Representative - Time Warner Cable TWCable.Help@twcable.com"

I stated I would be available late morning/early afternoon today...

Still haven't received any replies from AT&T Customer Care...

Will let you know the outcome after the call...

So...If I can't get the Mcell to work - Otto/Avedis53 - What Wilson product(s) would you recommend to fix my problem???

Thanks In Advance...

7 of 52 (4,505 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 7:47:20 AM
(0)
Tutor

Otto/Avedis53 - Is there anyhting I can do to "check that all of the necessary ports are open all the way to the AT&T servers"???

Thanks In Advance...

Mike...

Otto/Avedis53 - Is there anyhting I can do to "check that all of the necessary ports are open all the way to the AT&T servers"???

Thanks In Advance...

Mike...

8 of 52 (4,502 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 8:15:49 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:18:05 AM

Avedis53 will have to help me here because for the life of me I can't remember the name of the port uitlities to check for open ports. They are ok but it's best if you can get AT&T to check from their end. Unfortunately thought, all they can do is tell that the port(s) are opne or closed. If they are closed there's nothing you can do to open them unless you've blocked them on your router which is unlikely. It comes back to your ISP to determine where or how they are blocked and open them.

Ahh, here they are: http://canyouseeme.org, http://portforward.com, or http://yougetsignal.com

Avedis53 will have to help me here because for the life of me I can't remember the name of the port uitlities to check for open ports. They are ok but it's best if you can get AT&T to check from their end. Unfortunately thought, all they can do is tell that the port(s) are opne or closed. If they are closed there's nothing you can do to open them unless you've blocked them on your router which is unlikely. It comes back to your ISP to determine where or how they are blocked and open them.

Ahh, here they are: http://canyouseeme.org, http://portforward.com, or http://yougetsignal.com

[ Edited ]
9 of 52 (4,500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 9:40:05 AM
(0)
Tutor

Otto - In your troubleshooting doc you state:

"Initial Activation

:
When the MicroCell first boots up, the unit gets a DHCP license, syncs with network
time over NTP, and then does a DNS query for xxxxx.wireless.att.com. Once
successful, it talks to that server over HTTPS (TLSv1) for a while and then
immediately starts an IPsec VPN with xx.xxx.xxx.193"

Don't I need to know what xxxxx.wireless.att.com and xx.xxx.xxx.193 are???

Mike...

Otto - In your troubleshooting doc you state:

"Initial Activation

:
When the MicroCell first boots up, the unit gets a DHCP license, syncs with network
time over NTP, and then does a DNS query for xxxxx.wireless.att.com. Once
successful, it talks to that server over HTTPS (TLSv1) for a while and then
immediately starts an IPsec VPN with xx.xxx.xxx.193"

Don't I need to know what xxxxx.wireless.att.com and xx.xxx.xxx.193 are???

Mike...

10 of 52 (4,489 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 9:43:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

No. I left those addresses blank on purpose because the information I have is old and those addresses may not be accurate anymore due to changes/upgrades. It's more of an example of what the MicroCell is doing at the various stages of activation.

No. I left those addresses blank on purpose because the information I have is old and those addresses may not be accurate anymore due to changes/upgrades. It's more of an example of what the MicroCell is doing at the various stages of activation.

11 of 52 (4,488 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 11:27:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I do not own any Wilson Electronics hardware so I can not speak from personal experience.  I do know that Wilson is a reputable manufacturer of cellphone boosting equipment.  Having said that, I'd guess that a Wilson DB Pro would be your best bet.

Keep in mind that this equipment solution is more involved regarding installation.  You have to mount an external antenna, run Cat 6 cable inside to the signal booster, then run Cat 6 cable from the signal booster to the indoor antenna that mounts on a wall.  There is a kit that has the basic components but you may find that you need multiple indoor antennas to provide adequate coverage depending on the layout of  your house.  You may also find that you need to use a Yagi antenna outside instead of the omni-directional antenna.

A basic DB Pro kit plus the optional lightning surge protector(which I would recommend) is going to run about $400.  If you need additional add-on accessories, like an external antenna mounting kit or more indoor antennas, then it will cost even more.

Before taking an approach like this, you should go to Wilson Electronics and read up on their equipment and installation instructions.

Hopefully, you can resolve your Mcell issue first. 

I do not own any Wilson Electronics hardware so I can not speak from personal experience.  I do know that Wilson is a reputable manufacturer of cellphone boosting equipment.  Having said that, I'd guess that a Wilson DB Pro would be your best bet.

Keep in mind that this equipment solution is more involved regarding installation.  You have to mount an external antenna, run Cat 6 cable inside to the signal booster, then run Cat 6 cable from the signal booster to the indoor antenna that mounts on a wall.  There is a kit that has the basic components but you may find that you need multiple indoor antennas to provide adequate coverage depending on the layout of  your house.  You may also find that you need to use a Yagi antenna outside instead of the omni-directional antenna.

A basic DB Pro kit plus the optional lightning surge protector(which I would recommend) is going to run about $400.  If you need additional add-on accessories, like an external antenna mounting kit or more indoor antennas, then it will cost even more.

Before taking an approach like this, you should go to Wilson Electronics and read up on their equipment and installation instructions.

Hopefully, you can resolve your Mcell issue first. 

12 of 52 (4,471 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 11:37:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Concerning port checking webpages, there are serious limitations to how well they may work.  If you check your network behind the router, you will almost always show blocked ports, even if they aren't.

The best way to use these types of port checkers is by connecting your computer directly to your modem, taking your router out of the loop, disabling any firewall software on your computer and then run the port checker to see if your ISP is blocking a given port.  Even then I wouldn't trust the results entirely.

Concerning port checking webpages, there are serious limitations to how well they may work.  If you check your network behind the router, you will almost always show blocked ports, even if they aren't.

The best way to use these types of port checkers is by connecting your computer directly to your modem, taking your router out of the loop, disabling any firewall software on your computer and then run the port checker to see if your ISP is blocking a given port.  Even then I wouldn't trust the results entirely.

13 of 52 (4,472 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 12:27:54 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Agreed.

Agreed.

14 of 52 (4,468 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 5:11:26 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hmmm....Funny - I just got home from working all night...Went to check the blinking 3G light and to my amazement it IS SOLID!!!   But, of course no one will say they did anything...It has been sitting there for several days now blinking and suddenly, after I start raising a fuss, it starts working...

Oh Well...So far I am happy - my phone, which usually has 1 -2 bars is now a steady 4 - 5...

Wooo Hoooo!!!

But, I would really like to know what was done to remedy this...

Thanks for all your comments and guidance...

Mike...

Hmmm....Funny - I just got home from working all night...Went to check the blinking 3G light and to my amazement it IS SOLID!!!   But, of course no one will say they did anything...It has been sitting there for several days now blinking and suddenly, after I start raising a fuss, it starts working...

Oh Well...So far I am happy - my phone, which usually has 1 -2 bars is now a steady 4 - 5...

Wooo Hoooo!!!

But, I would really like to know what was done to remedy this...

Thanks for all your comments and guidance...

Mike...

15 of 52 (4,434 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 5:25:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

When I looged in to see the Activation - It states that Step 4 - Activation - Final MicroCell account profiles are being created. Once completed, your device will be fully activated and ready for use. and give a time counter, which is currently at 13:17:35???

My LG G2 immediately connected to it???

Mike

When I looged in to see the Activation - It states that Step 4 - Activation - Final MicroCell account profiles are being created. Once completed, your device will be fully activated and ready for use. and give a time counter, which is currently at 13:17:35???

My LG G2 immediately connected to it???

Mike

16 of 52 (4,428 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:15:32 AM
(0)
Tutor

Still not there:

Still not there:

17 of 52 (4,416 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 8:34:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If all of the lights are solid green, your phone is connected (it says ATT M-Cell, or something like that), then I wouldn't worry about the Acitvation Page. You should have received a text message or email as well saying that you were good to go. Again, I wouldn't worry about it , for now. As long as it works with however you have it currently setup, I wouldn't mess with it. As to why, that's anybody's guess. ISPs are norotrious for not admitting that they were wrong and the customer was right. My guess is if you called them, they would say AT&T finally fixed it. The Activation Page could need to be refreshed or updated by AT&T (as a reason why it says you're still in progress). Let us know if anything else goes wrong.

18 of 52 (4,411 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:38:39 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks so much Otto...I'm a HAPPY Camper right now...Smiley Happy

Thanks so much Otto...I'm a HAPPY Camper right now...Smiley Happy

19 of 52 (4,408 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 8:49:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Let's hope you stay that way Smiley Wink We're always here if you need us.

Let's hope you stay that way Smiley Wink We're always here if you need us.

20 of 52 (4,404 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 9:57:25 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

For we have no life.....other than to monitor this forum.  Smiley Very Happy

For we have no life.....other than to monitor this forum.  Smiley Very Happy

21 of 52 (4,400 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 10:17:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

How true, and how sadSmiley Sad Misery loves company though Smiley Wink

How true, and how sadSmiley Sad Misery loves company though Smiley Wink

22 of 52 (4,397 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 4:48:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

"No life other than to monitor this forum..."

Wow, thanks for the humor and your positive attitudes.

I have the same problem. ATT Microcell (white). Was working OK. Suddenly as of middle of last week, it's three green and the last one (3G) is flashing green. No connection. Watching activation on the web page, first three steps are good, then it fails with error "FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network …" at the end.

Chat has been helpful; ditto your comments here. Deactivated, reactivated. Power-off then on, about a thousand times. Cycled power on everything in the network chain here. ISP is Fairpoint DSL in NH. They swear they are not interrupting any ports. Unless I can check port 4500 and 500 to your servers, I can only conclude the MicroCell must be broken.

I'm tech savvy and have Unix shell (actually terminal window on Mac OS). Anything else I can try?? traceroute? ping? Port-tester?

Open-port testers you mentioned above -- I could point the tester at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to the microcell server. Would that give a valid response? But, I would need to know a server IP.

How can I rule out the possibility that my ISP is blocking 4500 or 500 somewhere up the chain?

Anything else to try before declaring this one broken and asking for a swap?

"No life other than to monitor this forum..."

Wow, thanks for the humor and your positive attitudes.

I have the same problem. ATT Microcell (white). Was working OK. Suddenly as of middle of last week, it's three green and the last one (3G) is flashing green. No connection. Watching activation on the web page, first three steps are good, then it fails with error "FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network …" at the end.

Chat has been helpful; ditto your comments here. Deactivated, reactivated. Power-off then on, about a thousand times. Cycled power on everything in the network chain here. ISP is Fairpoint DSL in NH. They swear they are not interrupting any ports. Unless I can check port 4500 and 500 to your servers, I can only conclude the MicroCell must be broken.

I'm tech savvy and have Unix shell (actually terminal window on Mac OS). Anything else I can try?? traceroute? ping? Port-tester?

Open-port testers you mentioned above -- I could point the tester at http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ to the microcell server. Would that give a valid response? But, I would need to know a server IP.

How can I rule out the possibility that my ISP is blocking 4500 or 500 somewhere up the chain?

Anything else to try before declaring this one broken and asking for a swap?

23 of 52 (2,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 6:36:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

My microcell has been online and working fine since October 2012. Got home from work friday night, 8/8/14 to find my 3G light blinking as well.  Have rebooted, de-activated/re-activated, rebooted DSL Modem, removed and re-linked to modem, light still blinking.

Went through online chat yesterday, suggested all things I'd already tried.  Tech did state that it appears my microcell is trying to update and can't.  I have no clue why nor how to fix this. 

Unfortunately for us, this is the only phone service we have at the house now.

Anybody have any idea how to get back on-line with this modem?

Thanks.

My microcell has been online and working fine since October 2012. Got home from work friday night, 8/8/14 to find my 3G light blinking as well.  Have rebooted, de-activated/re-activated, rebooted DSL Modem, removed and re-linked to modem, light still blinking.

Went through online chat yesterday, suggested all things I'd already tried.  Tech did state that it appears my microcell is trying to update and can't.  I have no clue why nor how to fix this. 

Unfortunately for us, this is the only phone service we have at the house now.

Anybody have any idea how to get back on-line with this modem?

Thanks.

24 of 52 (2,968 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 9:11:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I'm assuming that the Power, ethernet, and GPS lights are solid green an only the 3G light is blinking green? The setup of you MicroCell hasn't changed either since it last worked (setup, window position, etc)?

Try a hard reset. Disable power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back with a paperclip and restore power. Keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds and then release it. That forces the MicroCell back to defaults and clears out all memory and registers. It may be that something go hung up and the MicroCell is stuck somewhere on a command line.

Other than doing a speed test to various servers and various times of the day, and the VoIP line test, there's not much that you can do on your end to resolve this. You can try the port tester to see if all four ports are open but they are not always the most accurate. Sometimes AT&T on their end can see if traffic is coming to them via the four ports and which one is blocked, if any. However, they can't determine where in the pathway that the ports may be blocked. That is usually what the ISP had to do.

I would send a PM to CustomerCare with you issue, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way to contact you, and most importantly, where you are located in case this is a regional thing.

Some ISP's are better at helping their customers than others. But don't expect them to know anything about the MicroCell setup because they won't.

I'm assuming that the Power, ethernet, and GPS lights are solid green an only the 3G light is blinking green? The setup of you MicroCell hasn't changed either since it last worked (setup, window position, etc)?

Try a hard reset. Disable power to the MicroCell. Hold in the reset button on the back with a paperclip and restore power. Keep holding in the reset button for about 30 seconds and then release it. That forces the MicroCell back to defaults and clears out all memory and registers. It may be that something go hung up and the MicroCell is stuck somewhere on a command line.

Other than doing a speed test to various servers and various times of the day, and the VoIP line test, there's not much that you can do on your end to resolve this. You can try the port tester to see if all four ports are open but they are not always the most accurate. Sometimes AT&T on their end can see if traffic is coming to them via the four ports and which one is blocked, if any. However, they can't determine where in the pathway that the ports may be blocked. That is usually what the ISP had to do.

I would send a PM to CustomerCare with you issue, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way to contact you, and most importantly, where you are located in case this is a regional thing.

Some ISP's are better at helping their customers than others. But don't expect them to know anything about the MicroCell setup because they won't.

25 of 52 (2,932 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 9:13:03 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@atwilder- see my comment above to SallyShears.

@atwilder- see my comment above to SallyShears.

26 of 52 (2,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 5:25:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

Everybody listen up to OttoPylot and Avedis53; they have good info.

Resolution of my case:

- The 3G light is flashing, no phone connection, stays that way for a week. Nothing helps.

- AT&T has no way of troubleshooting this, at least not via Chat or phone Tech Support. 

- Since they cannot identify the problem, the only thing left is to swap out the MicroCell.

Today, with no changes on my part, the 3G light is now solid and the phone is connected. This is the same assumed broken MicroCell. Go figure. Must have been a problem in the network or at AT&T, we'll never know. 

So, if your 3G light is flashing, remember my case and the guy in Amherst Ohio: Nothing helped, and without explanation the problem went away a week later.

Good luck everyone. Thanks OttoPylot and Avedis53.

Everybody listen up to OttoPylot and Avedis53; they have good info.

Resolution of my case:

- The 3G light is flashing, no phone connection, stays that way for a week. Nothing helps.

- AT&T has no way of troubleshooting this, at least not via Chat or phone Tech Support. 

- Since they cannot identify the problem, the only thing left is to swap out the MicroCell.

Today, with no changes on my part, the 3G light is now solid and the phone is connected. This is the same assumed broken MicroCell. Go figure. Must have been a problem in the network or at AT&T, we'll never know. 

So, if your 3G light is flashing, remember my case and the guy in Amherst Ohio: Nothing helped, and without explanation the problem went away a week later.

Good luck everyone. Thanks OttoPylot and Avedis53.

27 of 52 (2,854 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 11, 2014 5:47:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

You're welcome. Quite often AT&T will work with a cooperative ISP and get the issues resolved, but we are not told what exactly the problem/resoution was because it's proprietary on the ISP side and AT&T's side.

You're welcome. Quite often AT&T will work with a cooperative ISP and get the issues resolved, but we are not told what exactly the problem/resoution was because it's proprietary on the ISP side and AT&T's side.

28 of 52 (2,847 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2014 4:39:31 AM
(0)
Contributor

Update to my post above.  Got home from work last night and lo and behold, 3G light was solid green again.  Only took 4 days to install the "stuck" update.  After googling this issue and reading the forums here, it appears that this last update AT & T sent out to microcells caused a lot of them to lock up.  Just hope future updates don't cause the same issues.

Update to my post above.  Got home from work last night and lo and behold, 3G light was solid green again.  Only took 4 days to install the "stuck" update.  After googling this issue and reading the forums here, it appears that this last update AT & T sent out to microcells caused a lot of them to lock up.  Just hope future updates don't cause the same issues.

29 of 52 (2,783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2014 6:34:00 AM
(0)
Teacher

Same timing as for me.

Mine went out sometime between 5pm August 6 and 6pm August 8th. 

Bounced back to life with no change on my end yesterday August 11th.

AT&T update that didn't work?  We'll never know.

Same timing as for me.

Mine went out sometime between 5pm August 6 and 6pm August 8th. 

Bounced back to life with no change on my end yesterday August 11th.

AT&T update that didn't work?  We'll never know.

30 of 52 (2,773 Views)