What is happening with 3G?
rjalder's profile

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

Sunday, August 31st, 2014 2:49 PM

ATT Wireless Home Phone & Internet and ATT microcell, will they work together?

Not sure where to post so I'm posting here.This question may need it's own forum.

Ive got a question before buying, does anybody know if the ATT Wireless Home Phone & Internet device and ATT microcell will work together? There's an Ethernet port in back of the Wireless Internet device which leads me to believe I can put a switch or better yet a router and create a secure network and plug in the microcell to either one. IP is IP right? Or is there something I don't know about the Home Internet device?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

Even if they did, what would be the point? The wireless home phone uses the cellular network and requires a strong cellular signal to work. The microcell is for cases when you don't have a good cellular signal and it uses your home internet to connect to the cellular network. If the cellular signal you get is weak enough to need a microcell, then chances are the wireless home phone won't work. On the other hand, if you have a strong enough signal for the wireless home phone, it should also be strong enough for your cellular phones and you shouldn't need a microcell.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The WHP is covered in my Tech Guide (see link in my sig). It uses the AT&T Mobility network (850/1900MHz). If you have decent cellular coverage in your home, then the WHP will connect to the closest tower, if not, it will connect to the MicroCell. The idea of a WHP is for individuals who desire to use a traditional corded/cordless phone. The WHP uses a SIM card but has no data or messaging capabilities.

The WHP has no keypad, touchscreen, or any other means of dialing a phone number or placing/receiving calls. The corded/cordless phone needs to be plugged into it instead of a traditional wall outlet and it has to have its own phone number so that it can be added to the MicroCell's Approved User list.

The same issues that affect the MicroCell's call quality will also affect the WHP. The WHP is a closed device like the MicroCell so there are no configuration options. The current model is the WF720, but a newer device is being tested in some markets. It's intended to be used as an internet device and will probably not be comptible with the MicroCell and will work similarly to a Mi-Fi device. Again, this device is still in the testing phase.

It's unfortunate that the AT&T employee above was not so judgemental and had more useful information when responding.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

I'll tell u why. I'm currently using the mcell now because of poor cellular signal except for one or two places. That's where I would place the WHPI device. Right now my mcell just sits in front of the window picking up the sat signal it uses to relay the cell phone packets. Works great! Except my ISP's plan is more expensive than ATT new WHPI service. It's working off my current ISP which is a wireless brosdband connect. I would really like to replace my current ISP with the new WHP & INTERNET. They call it WHPI now! According to the specs it's got an ethernet port in back and that's why I would use the device to build a network. Plug in the mcell and walla! NO?

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

You missed the point. I just want know what protocol is coming out of that Ethernet port in back of the New WHPI (read previous post response) which has a dedicated Ethernet connection. I suspect it's IP. Which in that case I'm think just needs to distributed with a network device. NO?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

The WHPI is apparently the new WHP that I was referring to. I didn't know that it had been released, unless you're in one of the testing markets. If the model number is Z700, that's new one. The last I was told is the device is supposed to provide the customer with home internet. IOW, it will replace what you currently have but it will not have broadband that is compatible with the MicroCell because the MicroCell is not compatible with wireless broadband in most cases. There are some situations where a wireless broadband connection will work but the MicroCell is not a wireless device. It sill needs an ethernet connection to some sort of router/modem/gateway. There is a new MicroCell that was just released, the DPH154 so I'll ask if the new MicroCell will be compatible with the Z700 (or what ever the new model is).

I'll have to find out if the Z700 works like a router/modem in that you can connect it directly to the new MicroCell. I'm thinking that the ethernet port would be to connect a computer but not necessarily the MicroCell because there is no way to configure the Z700 like you can a router for the requirements that are needed for the MicroCell.

Oh, and the GPS on the MicroCell is not for connecting to the local towers for calls. It is used to verify location, maintenance checks, and other checks. The MicroCell needs the ethernet connection back to AT&T to configure a secure VPN.

I'll check with the Admins on the new WHP and the new MicroCell but it may take a week or so.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

It's interesting that ATT says in there description of the Mcell that it does not work with "wireless broadband" but it does works with my wireless broadband providers network. Why? I think it's because it's a piped T1 broken down and distributed via wireless broadband radio protocol and the Mcell is plugged into my wired network. I'm assuming latency is probably why it doesn't work with  "wireless broadband" per se. It should read "mobile broadband" to be more accurate though, big difference. I'm going to give it a try though and I'll tell you the results. The WHPI has a 30 day try it or by it period. It should be an interesting experiment.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

You are correct in your assumption on the T1 with wireless distribution. However, there are quite a few instances where the connection breaks down because of latency and other issues. The connection needs to be very clean and trouble-free to maintain the VPN back to AT&T. Any interruption will result in very poor call quality or a total loss of connectivity (with the blinking green 3G light) which may require a powercycle to restore the connection.

The WHPI will use the 3G network for internet connecivity much the way your cell phone does. But connecting the MicroCell to the WHPI and then using that 3G connection back to create a secure VPN back to AT&T's mobility servers is going to be difficult because of the requirements that the MicroCell requires (specific ports to be open, DHCP enabled, Block Fragmented Packets disabled, IPSec Passthrough enabled, MTU of 1492, etc). Cell phone reliability will be a problem.

An iteresting experiment for sure. Let me know how it goes. In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out.

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Yes to all of the above and this experiment will probably fail due to difference in network protocols,  CSMA vs LTE and there being no physical/software bridge to interpret the two and make available for distribution. There's actually a couple of scholarly papers and articles about this exact issue. And there is someone trying to build a device that will work with mobile broadband protocols. Not fair i paid or i might pay for this Internet service and I should be able to distribute as I wish inside my private network. 

Oh well !!! I will still try it though and let you know the results!

Teacher

• 

26 Messages

10 years ago

Update!! After careful research, Googled "LTE Router" duh! There seems to be a plethora of LTE Routers out there already by Cisco, Dlink, Netgear, etc... Example: Dlink DWR-921. I should be able to make this work now.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Do keep in mind that if you have any difficulties in getting it to work, or work reliably, there is no support for this combination, WHPI and MicroCell, so I wouldn't even bother to contact support because they more than likely won't have a clue. Especially if you have no way of determining the minimum requirements necessary for the MicroCell. Protocols are different for celluar connections vs terrestrial connections.

AT&T does have some far-reaching plans for the future, especially if the DirecTV merger goes thru, so what they are doing now, may be related to future plans, but not today.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.