Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 8, 2013
4:06:20 PM
View profile
AT&T 3G MicroCell Causes Interference

Friends,

YES. AT&T 3G MicroCell not only causes interference to wi-fi, but it also causes interference with your regular chordless phones. So keep the MicroCell at least one foot away from any of the following devices that works based on wireless transmissions: Chordless phone base-unit, Wireless router, Airport, etc., The documentation of 3G MicroCell talks only about wi-fi devices and about other devices.Smiley Frustrated

I want to post this in the interenet everywhere possible, so that it comes up in the internet search of anyone struggling to resolve a problem due to AT&T 3G MicroCell. In fact, to resolve this problem, A&T blamed on Vonage and AT&T wanted me to sign-up into a ConnecTech service program paying $15 per month for 12 months.Smiley Surprised Watchout !!!Smiley Mad

Cheers to everyone !

Friends,

YES. AT&T 3G MicroCell not only causes interference to wi-fi, but it also causes interference with your regular chordless phones. So keep the MicroCell at least one foot away from any of the following devices that works based on wireless transmissions: Chordless phone base-unit, Wireless router, Airport, etc., The documentation of 3G MicroCell talks only about wi-fi devices and about other devices.Smiley Frustrated

I want to post this in the interenet everywhere possible, so that it comes up in the internet search of anyone struggling to resolve a problem due to AT&T 3G MicroCell. In fact, to resolve this problem, A&T blamed on Vonage and AT&T wanted me to sign-up into a ConnecTech service program paying $15 per month for 12 months.Smiley Surprised Watchout !!!Smiley Mad

Cheers to everyone !

AT&T 3G MicroCell Causes Interference

29 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 8, 2013 5:39:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sounds like a troll to me. If you follow the install instructions, 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and at least 2' away from a WiFi device (router), it's fine. We have 4, 2.4Ghz phones on a landline connection and have never had an issue. If fact, most of our WiFi devices use the 2.4Ghz frequency and have NEVER had an issue. Vonage is VOIP, the MicroCell is not. Our Airport Extreme Base Station has never had an issue with the MicroCell as well. Sounds like a setup issue on your end.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Sounds like a troll to me. If you follow the install instructions, 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and at least 2' away from a WiFi device (router), it's fine. We have 4, 2.4Ghz phones on a landline connection and have never had an issue. If fact, most of our WiFi devices use the 2.4Ghz frequency and have NEVER had an issue. Vonage is VOIP, the MicroCell is not. Our Airport Extreme Base Station has never had an issue with the MicroCell as well. Sounds like a setup issue on your end.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: AT&T 3G MicroCell Causes Interference

2 of 30 (6,650 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 6:33:47 PM
(0)
Teacher

hmmm.....my microcell , wireless router AND cordless phone base are all sitting on the same desk right next to each other with no problems.......

hmmm.....my microcell , wireless router AND cordless phone base are all sitting on the same desk right next to each other with no problems.......

3 of 30 (6,499 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 13, 2013 8:14:52 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks.

Thanks.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 30 (6,486 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 2:53:00 PM
(0)
Contributor
The original poster is no troll. That's shade thrown by another user not experiencing the problem. The microcell is a sophisticated and flawed piece of equipment. It sets signal strength and many other parameters some based on initial configuration, some based on router and network (all specific to each installation). An mcell can work fine for one user while completely screwing up another's entire internet (resetting router connections, and thus all the networked equipment, many times an hour...in some cases as much as 30 times in 60 minutes! Another example, some users have to switch of wireless (weird right?) while others have to turn off LTE, or both. These facts are well documented on the web (I presume we can agree that an article in Forbes magazine surpasses trolling?), despite any cheerleading from other (satisfied) users or AT&T pointing fingers at Cisco (mcell maker) back and forth. Bottom line: give an mcell a try and keep your fingers crosses the network stability is not compromised!
The original poster is no troll. That's shade thrown by another user not experiencing the problem. The microcell is a sophisticated and flawed piece of equipment. It sets signal strength and many other parameters some based on initial configuration, some based on router and network (all specific to each installation). An mcell can work fine for one user while completely screwing up another's entire internet (resetting router connections, and thus all the networked equipment, many times an hour...in some cases as much as 30 times in 60 minutes! Another example, some users have to switch of wireless (weird right?) while others have to turn off LTE, or both. These facts are well documented on the web (I presume we can agree that an article in Forbes magazine surpasses trolling?), despite any cheerleading from other (satisfied) users or AT&T pointing fingers at Cisco (mcell maker) back and forth. Bottom line: give an mcell a try and keep your fingers crosses the network stability is not compromised!

5 of 30 (4,922 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 3:07:03 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I have lots of experience, as do others, with the MicroCell (read the Tech Guide) and yes, while I do agree that the MicroCell has issues, technical and support-wise, so does Verizon's and femtocells in general, it still works quite well for most people. And the ones that it doesn't, we've been able to help quite a few here.There are lots of router configurations, home setups, phones that don't play nice, etc that compounds the problems. Personally I wish AT&T provided decent in-home coverage through-out all of their service areas so we woudn't need femtocells, but they don't. If you have something positive to say or help for those who are having connection issues please contribute. If not, carrying on how bad the MicroCell is doesn't help anyone and you should just move on to your next target.

I have lots of experience, as do others, with the MicroCell (read the Tech Guide) and yes, while I do agree that the MicroCell has issues, technical and support-wise, so does Verizon's and femtocells in general, it still works quite well for most people. And the ones that it doesn't, we've been able to help quite a few here.There are lots of router configurations, home setups, phones that don't play nice, etc that compounds the problems. Personally I wish AT&T provided decent in-home coverage through-out all of their service areas so we woudn't need femtocells, but they don't. If you have something positive to say or help for those who are having connection issues please contribute. If not, carrying on how bad the MicroCell is doesn't help anyone and you should just move on to your next target.

6 of 30 (4,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 5:04:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Geez Otto, where in the world did you find these two?  There is no way a Mcell can reset router connections or anything else he mentioned.  Uninformed and flaming away with bogus information....Goodness!

If you don't have a problem that you want help with, save your energy and don't post here.  You aren't helping anyone with your disjointed diatribes.

Geez Otto, where in the world did you find these two?  There is no way a Mcell can reset router connections or anything else he mentioned.  Uninformed and flaming away with bogus information....Goodness!

If you don't have a problem that you want help with, save your energy and don't post here.  You aren't helping anyone with your disjointed diatribes.

7 of 30 (4,904 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 18, 2014 5:37:24 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Interesting that both of them registered today. Hmm.....

Interesting that both of them registered today. Hmm.....

8 of 30 (4,898 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 5:20:46 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by xtremdude on Jul 4, 2014 at 5:23:06 AM

I have a question that has not been able to be remedied by AT&T or ADT. I was using my Microcell without incident, love it and wish I could still use it.

The Problem.

I had an ADT system installed in the house. We (ADT Tech) ran some tests after we kept getting errors in the ADT System, system would start beeping, not alarming, just continuous beeping due to loss of radio signal.

We found out that the Microcell was acting as a jammer against the ADT Radio signal. The work around was that we just unplugged the Microcell at night so the system wouldn't go off.

We have not found away around both working in unison. We now stopped using the Microcell. But the reception is very bad where we just moved to and I would like to start using it again.

Any thoughts?? Besides hardwiring in the ADT System which would be great, but requires a phone line which is an additional cost and all this stuff should just work together.

Thanks for your time.

Kurt

I have a question that has not been able to be remedied by AT&T or ADT. I was using my Microcell without incident, love it and wish I could still use it.

The Problem.

I had an ADT system installed in the house. We (ADT Tech) ran some tests after we kept getting errors in the ADT System, system would start beeping, not alarming, just continuous beeping due to loss of radio signal.

We found out that the Microcell was acting as a jammer against the ADT Radio signal. The work around was that we just unplugged the Microcell at night so the system wouldn't go off.

We have not found away around both working in unison. We now stopped using the Microcell. But the reception is very bad where we just moved to and I would like to start using it again.

Any thoughts?? Besides hardwiring in the ADT System which would be great, but requires a phone line which is an additional cost and all this stuff should just work together.

Thanks for your time.

Kurt

[ Edited ]
9 of 30 (4,635 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 8:44:33 AM
(1)
ACE - Professor

My understanding of ADT's Cellguard wireless system is that it uses cellphone frequencies to communicate with their backend monitoring systems.  Since the Mcell uses the 850 MHz or 1900 MHz frequencies to communicate with local cell towers and your cellphones, it would certainly interfere with your ADT wireless system, which you have already seen.

You'll either have to go to a wired security system to keep the Mcell or keep the wireless security system and use something else besides the Mcell.  Cell signal boosters such as Cel-Fi or ones from Wilson Electronics might work with the ADT system but I can't say for sure.

My understanding of ADT's Cellguard wireless system is that it uses cellphone frequencies to communicate with their backend monitoring systems.  Since the Mcell uses the 850 MHz or 1900 MHz frequencies to communicate with local cell towers and your cellphones, it would certainly interfere with your ADT wireless system, which you have already seen.

You'll either have to go to a wired security system to keep the Mcell or keep the wireless security system and use something else besides the Mcell.  Cell signal boosters such as Cel-Fi or ones from Wilson Electronics might work with the ADT system but I can't say for sure.

10 of 30 (4,618 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 10:05:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Avedis. I had not heard of this before but it does make perfect sense. I think your suggestions are the only viable options for the poster.

Thanks Avedis. I had not heard of this before but it does make perfect sense. I think your suggestions are the only viable options for the poster.

11 of 30 (4,607 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 11:39:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

You would think that if the ADT wireless system can work (I assume) with cellphone users in the house, that it should work with a Mcell in the house.  Obviously, there is something about the Mcell's RF wizardry that is different and jams the ADT system.

You would think that if the ADT wireless system can work (I assume) with cellphone users in the house, that it should work with a Mcell in the house.  Obviously, there is something about the Mcell's RF wizardry that is different and jams the ADT system.

12 of 30 (4,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 12:18:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

One would think. Unless it's an issue with ADT playing nice with other cellular transmissions. Hard to say at this point in time.

One would think. Unless it's an issue with ADT playing nice with other cellular transmissions. Hard to say at this point in time.

13 of 30 (4,594 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 6:45:56 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you very much for the information. I will do some research on the devices you have mentioned. I am currently deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan so the only person it is an issue for is my Daughter. (Poor Reception).

I will either boost the signal using a cell booster or talk to ADT about a full wired system, I believe it is now but uses radio as a backup in case of an outage. I will check on that as well.

Again, much appreciated.

Additionally, ADT and AT&T apparently use the same equipment so that didn't make much sense to me either, I even tried to get the address for the ADT radio signal and add it to the MCell, couldn't do that either.

I will keep you posted as to my results and any possible outcomes.

Kurt

Thank you very much for the information. I will do some research on the devices you have mentioned. I am currently deployed to Kabul, Afghanistan so the only person it is an issue for is my Daughter. (Poor Reception).

I will either boost the signal using a cell booster or talk to ADT about a full wired system, I believe it is now but uses radio as a backup in case of an outage. I will check on that as well.

Again, much appreciated.

Additionally, ADT and AT&T apparently use the same equipment so that didn't make much sense to me either, I even tried to get the address for the ADT radio signal and add it to the MCell, couldn't do that either.

I will keep you posted as to my results and any possible outcomes.

Kurt

14 of 30 (4,574 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 7:03:59 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by xtremdude on Jul 4, 2014 at 7:08:27 PM

Concerning the Cel-Fi. I looked at it, watched the video, it looks simple. But what are the chances the same thing happens? Isn't Cel-Fi the same as the Microcell? I don't want to spend $575 on something with the same end result when the MC was free.

I guess I will have to test it out and send it back if the same thing happens, that is the bad part about being gone when there is a problem at home.

Again, thanks for the advice and listening to me rant a little.

Kurt

Concerning the Cel-Fi. I looked at it, watched the video, it looks simple. But what are the chances the same thing happens? Isn't Cel-Fi the same as the Microcell? I don't want to spend $575 on something with the same end result when the MC was free.

I guess I will have to test it out and send it back if the same thing happens, that is the bad part about being gone when there is a problem at home.

Again, thanks for the advice and listening to me rant a little.

Kurt

[ Edited ]
15 of 30 (4,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2014 8:34:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Cel-Fi is a different animal than the Mcell.  The Mcell diverts your cellphone call to the internet (VOIP) instead of to the nearest celltower to overcome poor reception to/from the tower. 

The Cel-Fi is a cellphone signal booster.  You find a place in your home that gets one bar of cellphone signal strength and place the window unit in that location.  You then place the coverage unit in a central location in the home.  The Cel-Fi coverage unit picks up your cellphone signal and transmits it to the window unit and the window unit transmits to the cellphone tower.  No internet is used.

There is certainly a possibility that the Cel-Fi unit could jam the ADT system.  If you buy it from Nextivity's website, you have 30 days to return it.  It is somewhat expensive and I have no first-hand knowledge of how well it performs.

Wilson Electronics also makes boosters that review well and are a little cheaper, so you might want to take a look at them also.

I don't understand how an ADT wireless system can function with cellphones in the house yet is defeated by a Mcell.  I wish I knew the difference.

You may want to consider going with a wired security system and use the Mcell.  I guess I'd compare prices both ways and determine which is the best way to go.  There is a possibility that you put in the wired security system and your Mcell doesn't meet your expectations.  I guess I'd try a booster and see how it works with your already installed wireless security system.  At least you can return that if it doesn't pan out.

Good luck and be safe over there.  Thank you for service.

The Cel-Fi is a different animal than the Mcell.  The Mcell diverts your cellphone call to the internet (VOIP) instead of to the nearest celltower to overcome poor reception to/from the tower. 

The Cel-Fi is a cellphone signal booster.  You find a place in your home that gets one bar of cellphone signal strength and place the window unit in that location.  You then place the coverage unit in a central location in the home.  The Cel-Fi coverage unit picks up your cellphone signal and transmits it to the window unit and the window unit transmits to the cellphone tower.  No internet is used.

There is certainly a possibility that the Cel-Fi unit could jam the ADT system.  If you buy it from Nextivity's website, you have 30 days to return it.  It is somewhat expensive and I have no first-hand knowledge of how well it performs.

Wilson Electronics also makes boosters that review well and are a little cheaper, so you might want to take a look at them also.

I don't understand how an ADT wireless system can function with cellphones in the house yet is defeated by a Mcell.  I wish I knew the difference.

You may want to consider going with a wired security system and use the Mcell.  I guess I'd compare prices both ways and determine which is the best way to go.  There is a possibility that you put in the wired security system and your Mcell doesn't meet your expectations.  I guess I'd try a booster and see how it works with your already installed wireless security system.  At least you can return that if it doesn't pan out.

Good luck and be safe over there.  Thank you for service.

16 of 30 (4,557 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2014 8:28:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

After reviewing a past post where the user did try a Cel-Fi for a short period of time, I think it important to mention that the Cel-Fi does not relay locational information if you call 911 from your cellphone.  You will have to include your address when calling 911 otherwise, emergency services won't be able to find you.  FYI....

After reviewing a past post where the user did try a Cel-Fi for a short period of time, I think it important to mention that the Cel-Fi does not relay locational information if you call 911 from your cellphone.  You will have to include your address when calling 911 otherwise, emergency services won't be able to find you.  FYI....

17 of 30 (4,517 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 5, 2014 10:31:16 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Another option to get around the 9-1-1 calls via a cell phone is to program in the 10-digit emergency services number. The number is usually listed in a phone book or you can Google it. What that does is bypass the mobile dispatcher (which can be the Highway Patrol, Sheriff's Department, State Trooper, etc) and connects you directly to the emergency services dispatcher who can immediately pull up your location, exactly as if you were calling from a landline. Even if you can't communicate, but leave the line open, they can dispatch Fire and Police to your location. The downside is that it is only effective for your area code. Outside of your area, dialing 9-1-1 is your best bet.

Another option to get around the 9-1-1 calls via a cell phone is to program in the 10-digit emergency services number. The number is usually listed in a phone book or you can Google it. What that does is bypass the mobile dispatcher (which can be the Highway Patrol, Sheriff's Department, State Trooper, etc) and connects you directly to the emergency services dispatcher who can immediately pull up your location, exactly as if you were calling from a landline. Even if you can't communicate, but leave the line open, they can dispatch Fire and Police to your location. The downside is that it is only effective for your area code. Outside of your area, dialing 9-1-1 is your best bet.

18 of 30 (4,510 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 5:29:19 PM
(0)
Contributor

My wirless headphones stopped working as soon as I put my microcell in - has anyone else experiended interference with wireless headphones?

If so, what is the solution?

Here is a link to my headphones - which has 3 different settings - I tired out all 3 settings and still get interference...

(http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=elect...

My wirless headphones stopped working as soon as I put my microcell in - has anyone else experiended interference with wireless headphones?

If so, what is the solution?

Here is a link to my headphones - which has 3 different settings - I tired out all 3 settings and still get interference...

(http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS120-Wireless-Headphones-Charging/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1448933189&sr=1-1&keywords=Sennheiser+RS120+On-Ear+Wireless+RF+Headphones+with+Charging+Dock%5C)

19 of 30 (1,732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 6:15:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Never heard of that. I can't imagine how the 3G radio can interfere with the headphones but I suppose it's possible under certain circumstances. The MicroCell does need to be at least 2' away from a WiFi source (router) but that's to protect the MicroCell from WiFi interference, not the other way around. Other than isolating the two as far apart as possible there's not much else you can do. There is no way to adjust the radio in the MicroCell as it's output is based on the detected tower signal during initial activation.

Never heard of that. I can't imagine how the 3G radio can interfere with the headphones but I suppose it's possible under certain circumstances. The MicroCell does need to be at least 2' away from a WiFi source (router) but that's to protect the MicroCell from WiFi interference, not the other way around. Other than isolating the two as far apart as possible there's not much else you can do. There is no way to adjust the radio in the MicroCell as it's output is based on the detected tower signal during initial activation.

20 of 30 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 6:37:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Your wireless headphones use radio frequency, not infrared light to receive a signal.  The headphones operate on a frequency of 826 MHz which is very close to one of the 3G frequencies the Mcell uses (850 MHz).  I would guess that given the usual frequency bleed that is present in most RF wireless devices that the Mcell is interfering with your wireless headphones.  The signal strength of the Mcell is high enough to effectively jam your headphones.

I don't know of a simple fix for your particular situation.  If you are depending on the Mcell and there is no alternative (ie. WiFi Calling), you made want to consider an IR wireless headphone or a RF headphone that uses a frequency that is further away from 850 MHz.

Your wireless headphones use radio frequency, not infrared light to receive a signal.  The headphones operate on a frequency of 826 MHz which is very close to one of the 3G frequencies the Mcell uses (850 MHz).  I would guess that given the usual frequency bleed that is present in most RF wireless devices that the Mcell is interfering with your wireless headphones.  The signal strength of the Mcell is high enough to effectively jam your headphones.

I don't know of a simple fix for your particular situation.  If you are depending on the Mcell and there is no alternative (ie. WiFi Calling), you made want to consider an IR wireless headphone or a RF headphone that uses a frequency that is further away from 850 MHz.

21 of 30 (1,711 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 6:44:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Nov 30, 2015 at 6:47:24 PM

An earlier poster in this thread had a problem with his Mcell jamming his ADT security system which happened to operate on 850 MHz also.

An earlier poster in this thread had a problem with his Mcell jamming his ADT security system which happened to operate on 850 MHz also.

[ Edited ]
22 of 30 (1,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 30, 2015 7:02:07 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks. I looked around a bit to see if I could fine the frequency of his headphones but was unsuccesful. The frequency bleed would make sense if they are that close. Too bad. They look like nice headphones.

Thanks. I looked around a bit to see if I could fine the frequency of his headphones but was unsuccesful. The frequency bleed would make sense if they are that close. Too bad. They look like nice headphones.

23 of 30 (1,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2016 10:21:51 AM
(0)
Contributor
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Installed an MCell in November. Reception was great on both ends of a call. 6 months later, reception at location w MCell is still good, but person on the other end of the call can't hear the conversation. Why would the MCell service suddenly change and why would it the reception on the other end of the Mcell call be sporadic? Thx.
Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how did you fix it? Installed an MCell in November. Reception was great on both ends of a call. 6 months later, reception at location w MCell is still good, but person on the other end of the call can't hear the conversation. Why would the MCell service suddenly change and why would it the reception on the other end of the Mcell call be sporadic? Thx.

24 of 30 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2016 11:01:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

From what little you've posted, I'd say that you should check out your internet connection.  One-way or garbled voice quality is a sign of a substandard internet connection.  You should check your internet connection for VOIP quality several times during the day to see how much it varies.

Run this and post your latency, download and upload bandwidth results:  http://speedtest.net

Run this and post the results under the "Advanced tab":  http://voiptest.8x8.com

From what little you've posted, I'd say that you should check out your internet connection.  One-way or garbled voice quality is a sign of a substandard internet connection.  You should check your internet connection for VOIP quality several times during the day to see how much it varies.

Run this and post your latency, download and upload bandwidth results:  http://speedtest.net

Run this and post the results under the "Advanced tab":  http://voiptest.8x8.com

25 of 30 (516 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2016 11:11:55 AM
(0)
Guru

I'd suggest using DSLReports, they give really accurate latency results as part of the regular test, and have a jitter test there as well.

You can have screaming fast speeds, but terrible latency and jitter, and your VOIP (and most things that use streaming) will be a jumble, every time...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

I'd suggest using DSLReports, they give really accurate latency results as part of the regular test, and have a jitter test there as well.

You can have screaming fast speeds, but terrible latency and jitter, and your VOIP (and most things that use streaming) will be a jumble, every time...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as solved, and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). Thanks.

26 of 30 (511 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2016 1:19:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
Thank you. I'll check it out.
Thank you. I'll check it out.

Re: AT

27 of 30 (496 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 3, 2016 2:30:36 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

By all means do run a VoIP test. We've had very good results using the site that Avedis53 suggested, and is listed in my Tech Guide along with other pertinent VoIP information. Run the test a couple of different times during the day. Running it once only gives you  snapshot in time so what you want is an average, overtime, to give you a more realistic picture of your line quailty.

By all means do run a VoIP test. We've had very good results using the site that Avedis53 suggested, and is listed in my Tech Guide along with other pertinent VoIP information. Run the test a couple of different times during the day. Running it once only gives you  snapshot in time so what you want is an average, overtime, to give you a more realistic picture of your line quailty.

28 of 30 (485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2016 4:58:43 PM
(0)
Contributor
Awesome, thx. Will report my findings.
Awesome, thx. Will report my findings.

29 of 30 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 4, 2016 5:26:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Great. Do keep in mind that if your VoIP results are less than desireable the fix is totally up to your ISP. There is nothing that AT&T can do to correct your connection.

Great. Do keep in mind that if your VoIP results are less than desireable the fix is totally up to your ISP. There is nothing that AT&T can do to correct your connection.

30 of 30 (458 Views)