For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
sridarkp's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, June 8th, 2013 11:06 PM

AT&T 3G MicroCell Causes Interference

Friends,

YES. AT&T 3G MicroCell not only causes interference to wi-fi, but it also causes interference with your regular chordless phones. So keep the MicroCell at least one foot away from any of the following devices that works based on wireless transmissions: Chordless phone base-unit, Wireless router, Airport, etc., The documentation of 3G MicroCell talks only about wi-fi devices and about other devices.Smiley Frustrated

I want to post this in the interenet everywhere possible, so that it comes up in the internet search of anyone struggling to resolve a problem due to AT&T 3G MicroCell. In fact, to resolve this problem, A&T blamed on Vonage and AT&T wanted me to sign-up into a ConnecTech service program paying $15 per month for 12 months.Smiley Surprised Watchout !!!Smiley Mad

Cheers to everyone !

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Sounds like a troll to me. If you follow the install instructions, 18" from a window with an unobstructed view of the sky and at least 2' away from a WiFi device (router), it's fine. We have 4, 2.4Ghz phones on a landline connection and have never had an issue. If fact, most of our WiFi devices use the 2.4Ghz frequency and have NEVER had an issue. Vonage is VOIP, the MicroCell is not. Our Airport Extreme Base Station has never had an issue with the MicroCell as well. Sounds like a setup issue on your end.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

hmmm.....my microcell , wireless router AND cordless phone base are all sitting on the same desk right next to each other with no problems.......

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

The original poster is no troll. That's shade thrown by another user not experiencing the problem. The microcell is a sophisticated and flawed piece of equipment. It sets signal strength and many other parameters some based on initial configuration, some based on router and network (all specific to each installation). An mcell can work fine for one user while completely screwing up another's entire internet (resetting router connections, and thus all the networked equipment, many times an hour...in some cases as much as 30 times in 60 minutes! Another example, some users have to switch of wireless (weird right?) while others have to turn off LTE, or both. These facts are well documented on the web (I presume we can agree that an article in Forbes magazine surpasses trolling?), despite any cheerleading from other (satisfied) users or AT&T pointing fingers at Cisco (mcell maker) back and forth. Bottom line: give an mcell a try and keep your fingers crosses the network stability is not compromised!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

I have lots of experience, as do others, with the MicroCell (read the Tech Guide) and yes, while I do agree that the MicroCell has issues, technical and support-wise, so does Verizon's and femtocells in general, it still works quite well for most people. And the ones that it doesn't, we've been able to help quite a few here.There are lots of router configurations, home setups, phones that don't play nice, etc that compounds the problems. Personally I wish AT&T provided decent in-home coverage through-out all of their service areas so we woudn't need femtocells, but they don't. If you have something positive to say or help for those who are having connection issues please contribute. If not, carrying on how bad the MicroCell is doesn't help anyone and you should just move on to your next target.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Geez Otto, where in the world did you find these two?  There is no way a Mcell can reset router connections or anything else he mentioned.  Uninformed and flaming away with bogus information....Goodness!

If you don't have a problem that you want help with, save your energy and don't post here.  You aren't helping anyone with your disjointed diatribes.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Interesting that both of them registered today. Hmm.....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

I have a question that has not been able to be remedied by AT&T or ADT. I was using my Microcell without incident, love it and wish I could still use it.

The Problem.

I had an ADT system installed in the house. We (ADT Tech) ran some tests after we kept getting errors in the ADT System, system would start beeping, not alarming, just continuous beeping due to loss of radio signal.

We found out that the Microcell was acting as a jammer against the ADT Radio signal. The work around was that we just unplugged the Microcell at night so the system wouldn't go off.

We have not found away around both working in unison. We now stopped using the Microcell. But the reception is very bad where we just moved to and I would like to start using it again.

Any thoughts?? Besides hardwiring in the ADT System which would be great, but requires a phone line which is an additional cost and all this stuff should just work together.

Thanks for your time.

Kurt

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

My understanding of ADT's Cellguard wireless system is that it uses cellphone frequencies to communicate with their backend monitoring systems.  Since the Mcell uses the 850 MHz or 1900 MHz frequencies to communicate with local cell towers and your cellphones, it would certainly interfere with your ADT wireless system, which you have already seen.

You'll either have to go to a wired security system to keep the Mcell or keep the wireless security system and use something else besides the Mcell.  Cell signal boosters such as Cel-Fi or ones from Wilson Electronics might work with the ADT system but I can't say for sure.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Avedis. I had not heard of this before but it does make perfect sense. I think your suggestions are the only viable options for the poster.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.