What is happening with 3G?
Lindacrosen's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, July 17th, 2016 4:23 PM

5 bars with microcell but no one can hear me !!!

How do I get a copy of the 3G technical guide for the microcell? When I click on the link I get an error message. I just installed the microcell, all went well and instead of 1 bar, I now get 4-5 bars of reception on my phone, however when I call anyone, they can't hear a single word I say, I can hear them. So basically things are worse with the microcell installed. I have the black one and am using Hughesnet satelight ISP. .63 MBPS upload and 10 MBPS download. Speed varies during the day.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Unfortunately, you have satellite internet and the AT&T Microcell does not support that type of internet connection.  The latency is too severe to reliably conduct a cellphone conversation.  Some have had some luck using a Mcell with a satellite internet connection, but the vast majority have the same kind of problem you have described.

Concerning the Tech Guide, the link at the bottom of my signature appears to be borked.  We'll get that fixed. Thanks for pointing that out.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Lindacrosen - Avedis53 is correct about satellite and/or wireless broadband. If you have the new, black MicroCell that information is given on the box, albeit in small print.

Satellite and/or wireless broadband can, and do work in some situations, but it is not reliable for the reasons that Avedis53 mentioned and that it why it is not supported. The MicroCell was designed for land based internet service (DSL or cable).

Your only other alternative is to look into cellular boosters but they can be pricey, but do work very well. There are a couple listed in my Tech Guide.

Thanks for reporting the broken link I've sent a message to the Admins but it may not get fixed until Monday.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you both for your quick response. I very much appreciate it. It's very frustrating, AT&T suggested the solution and they knew I had a satellite based Internet provider. Must be why they gave it to me for no charge!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Lindacrosen - just out of curiosity, did you buy it online from AT&T or from a Corporate Store?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

It doesn't surprise me that AT&T sent you down the wrong road on this.  Most of their support people do not understand how the Mcell works.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

The link to your Tech Guide is still broken.  I was looking for booster for an cellphone (apple) with At&T carrier and Hughesnet satelitte ISP.  My cell phone connectiving is terrible.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

8 years ago

I bought the MCell from AT&T.  Actually then wanted to charge me $150 with a $75 rebate, I complained and they quickly gave it to me for free.  It arrived in a couple of days!

Any suggestions for one that works with Satellite? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Lindacrosen wrote:

I bought the MCell from AT&T.  Actually then wanted to charge me $150 with a $75 rebate, I complained and they quickly gave it to me for free.  It arrived in a couple of days!

Any suggestions for one that works with Satellite? 

The only femtocell that AT&T offers is the MicroCell, and as we have said, it is designed for land-based internet service only (DSL or cable). They can work, under certain conditions with a satellite internet service but it is not reliable. The fact that you were able to register and activate but have poor call quality re-enforces that. The lag is just too great for voice and there is nothing that can be done about that.

There are cell boosters that will work with a very weak celluar signal but they can be pricey. The link in my sig to my Tech Guide should work now because I just checked it and it's fine.

If you have an iPhone 5SE or greater, or an LG G4, you can also do WiFi calling (WiFi-C) and don't need a MicroCell or cell booster at all.

EDIT: just for clarification purposes, 4 bars on your phone next to the M-Cell alpha tag just means you have a strong signal and are connected to the MicroCell. It has nothing to do with call quality. Call quality is based entirely on your line quality and how it handles VoIP. Your internet service can be rock solid but if your line has too much fluctuation, jitter, etc, voice quality will suffer.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

8 years ago

Unregister the Mcell and then sell it on eBay.  Use the money to help pay for a cellphone signal booster that does not rely on the internet if you have some spot in your house that gets at least one bar of signal strength.

@ Otto

WiFi Calling isn't really an option for a satellite internet connection either because the same latency and jitter issues apply.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Avedis53 - you are absolutely correct about WiFi-C. Guess I had a senior moment and forgot we were talking about a sat connection.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.