Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2014
4:04:55 PM
View profile
3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

179 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(179)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 8:17:52 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks you for your posting. It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. Most of us that have posted on this forum that are experiencing issues are from the Fort Worth Texas area. When I saw your posting I got excited and rebooted all my equipment hoping the problem had been resolved but I was disappointed. I did receive several PMs last friday from a charter senior VP of engineering and it sounds like it is getting looked at on the charter end which is great news. Fingers crossed it gets resolved this week and we can all go back to our cell phones actually ringing as opposed to voicemails just popping up with the phone never ringing.
Thanks you for your posting. It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. Most of us that have posted on this forum that are experiencing issues are from the Fort Worth Texas area. When I saw your posting I got excited and rebooted all my equipment hoping the problem had been resolved but I was disappointed. I did receive several PMs last friday from a charter senior VP of engineering and it sounds like it is getting looked at on the charter end which is great news. Fingers crossed it gets resolved this week and we can all go back to our cell phones actually ringing as opposed to voicemails just popping up with the phone never ringing.

Re: 3g Microcell and Charter Cable

61 of 180 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 10:49:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

To the two above posters - yes, Charter is seriously looking into this and is trying to resolve the issue. I can't go into detail on what is happening as I have been in communication with Charter, and have been asked to not discuss this in detail, but I am hopeful that a fix will be coming soon for the Dallas-Ft. Worth areas and others that may be affected. Hang in there, and kudos for Charter taking the lead.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

To the two above posters - yes, Charter is seriously looking into this and is trying to resolve the issue. I can't go into detail on what is happening as I have been in communication with Charter, and have been asked to not discuss this in detail, but I am hopeful that a fix will be coming soon for the Dallas-Ft. Worth areas and others that may be affected. Hang in there, and kudos for Charter taking the lead.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

62 of 180 (1,289 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 7:18:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Otto.

i am having exact same problem. Does anyone know for sure if this is charter or ATT issue? I have some attention of ATT right now. I'm pushing hard as I have no cell service at house without microcell.

Thanks Otto.

i am having exact same problem. Does anyone know for sure if this is charter or ATT issue? I have some attention of ATT right now. I'm pushing hard as I have no cell service at house without microcell.

63 of 180 (1,263 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 2, 2014 7:46:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Are you in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? This is a Charter issue and AT&T is working with them as far as they can. Hopefully there will be more information this coming week.

Are you in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area? This is a Charter issue and AT&T is working with them as far as they can. Hopefully there will be more information this coming week.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

64 of 180 (1,256 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 1:36:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

We (Charter) have pushed a test fix to two boxes to see if this resolves the problem.  One was to a device in West Ft.Worth (near the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base), and the other to Waynesville, NC. If you live near either one of those areas, please retest your serivce and let me know if it fixed the issue.  Thanks.

We (Charter) have pushed a test fix to two boxes to see if this resolves the problem.  One was to a device in West Ft.Worth (near the Naval Air Station Joint Reserve Base), and the other to Waynesville, NC. If you live near either one of those areas, please retest your serivce and let me know if it fixed the issue.  Thanks.

65 of 180 (1,229 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 2:06:59 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have received PM correspondence from railpass at Charter.  I guess I am lucky in that I live near the Waynesville, NC location that received the test fix mentioned above.  It appears to have fixed my problems.  Unfortunately, now experiencing local electrical power outage problems, but that is totally unrelated!

I understand from railpass that this problem is related to new equipment recently installed to facilitate a speed upgrade.

Many thanks to both AT&T and Charter folks for addressing this issue.

I have received PM correspondence from railpass at Charter.  I guess I am lucky in that I live near the Waynesville, NC location that received the test fix mentioned above.  It appears to have fixed my problems.  Unfortunately, now experiencing local electrical power outage problems, but that is totally unrelated!

I understand from railpass that this problem is related to new equipment recently installed to facilitate a speed upgrade.

Many thanks to both AT&T and Charter folks for addressing this issue.

66 of 180 (1,221 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 2:11:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, thank you to railpass and Charter for working so diligently on this. We will post more information as soon as it becomes available and hopefully we'll have some good news for the Dallas-Ft. Worth folks as well.

Yes, thank you to railpass and Charter for working so diligently on this. We will post more information as soon as it becomes available and hopefully we'll have some good news for the Dallas-Ft. Worth folks as well.

67 of 180 (1,219 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 3:27:15 PM
(0)
Tutor

Correction on my prior post - appears we're only testing this in Waynesville, NC right now.  So far, so good - and once through a soak period, we'll move this into more areas. 

Correction on my prior post - appears we're only testing this in Waynesville, NC right now.  So far, so good - and once through a soak period, we'll move this into more areas. 

68 of 180 (1,201 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 3, 2014 5:50:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the update.

Thanks for the update.

69 of 180 (1,188 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 5:23:33 AM
(0)
Tutor

Good day to you all. i live the fort worth 76179 area code and use charter cable for internet. Is the microcell 3 g flahing light resolved now? The light is still flahing and i have already deativated and re regidtered my device but this is what i got

"FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

thank you.

Sunkanmi

Good day to you all. i live the fort worth 76179 area code and use charter cable for internet. Is the microcell 3 g flahing light resolved now? The light is still flahing and i have already deativated and re regidtered my device but this is what i got

"FTC101: MicroCell was unable to connect to the AT&T network through your broadband connection. Please power cycle your modem, router and the 3G MicroCell (Unplug the power adapter from the wall outlet, wait 10 seconds, then plug it back in). If the 3G light on the Microcell does not turn solid green after 30 minutes, please change your MicroCell configuration to the Alternate Connection (if applicable). To view this configuration, refer to page 17 in your 3G MicroCell User Manual. Wait 30 minutes for the 3G light to turn solid green. If problem persists, visit http://www.att.com/MicroCell-Help for advanced troubleshooting steps or call AT&T Customer Service at 1-800-331-0500.

thank you.

Sunkanmi

70 of 180 (1,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 7:51:13 AM
(0)
Teacher
Sunkanmi,

The problem for Fort Worth is not fixed yet but charter is working hard on it. My understanding is they have deployed a fix in NC and they are just waiting to make sure it works and there are no issues before pushing it out to the Fort Worth area. Fingers crossed it will be soon.
Sunkanmi,

The problem for Fort Worth is not fixed yet but charter is working hard on it. My understanding is they have deployed a fix in NC and they are just waiting to make sure it works and there are no issues before pushing it out to the Fort Worth area. Fingers crossed it will be soon.

71 of 180 (1,142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:04:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

As soon as the issue is corrected, I will start a new thread notifying everyone that their MicroCell's should be up and running. It may take a day or so for the fix to propagate through the affected area are so please be patient. There is nothing that AT&T can do at this point in time. The troubleshooting message posted above is a generic troubleshooting technique but this particluar issue can't be fixed by the above method.

As soon as the issue is corrected, I will start a new thread notifying everyone that their MicroCell's should be up and running. It may take a day or so for the fix to propagate through the affected area are so please be patient. There is nothing that AT&T can do at this point in time. The troubleshooting message posted above is a generic troubleshooting technique but this particluar issue can't be fixed by the above method.

72 of 180 (1,138 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 2:52:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just signed up to submit my first post

I like many others in Fort Worth Texas 76107 am suddenly experiencing the blinking green light.

I have tried ever suggested fix and am at my whits end. I run a company from my home office and I am no longer able to use my cellphone - major problem.

I have to get this resolved ASAP - my question, what is the best way to get a prompt response from either charter and or Att.

Would anyone advise I simply drop charter and go with someone else?

Or is there another option with regards to signal boosting for an iPhone 5?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Just signed up to submit my first post

I like many others in Fort Worth Texas 76107 am suddenly experiencing the blinking green light.

I have tried ever suggested fix and am at my whits end. I run a company from my home office and I am no longer able to use my cellphone - major problem.

I have to get this resolved ASAP - my question, what is the best way to get a prompt response from either charter and or Att.

Would anyone advise I simply drop charter and go with someone else?

Or is there another option with regards to signal boosting for an iPhone 5?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

73 of 180 (1,118 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 3:05:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

As stated a few posts up, the issue is on Charter's end and they are trying very hard to fix it. A fix will probably come but it's going to take awhile. There is nothing that AT&T can do.

I don't know of any way to "boost" an iPhone signal without a femtocell.

As stated a few posts up, the issue is on Charter's end and they are trying very hard to fix it. A fix will probably come but it's going to take awhile. There is nothing that AT&T can do.

I don't know of any way to "boost" an iPhone signal without a femtocell.

74 of 180 (1,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 3:09:51 PM
(0)
Tutor

We just pushed the code fix out to the Benbrook area (SW Ft. Worth).  If you live in that area (or close by), please let me know if your issue is resolved.  Thanks.

We just pushed the code fix out to the Benbrook area (SW Ft. Worth).  If you live in that area (or close by), please let me know if your issue is resolved.  Thanks.

75 of 180 (1,114 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 4:07:24 PM
(0)
Tutor
76107 issue is not resolved

Can you kindly supply an eta

I truly am grateful for the prompt feedback and responses.
76107 issue is not resolved

Can you kindly supply an eta

I truly am grateful for the prompt feedback and responses.

76 of 180 (1,105 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 6:11:50 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

These fixes are not easy to configure so try to be patient. I completely understand your frustration but Charter will get this fixed as fast as they can.

These fixes are not easy to configure so try to be patient. I completely understand your frustration but Charter will get this fixed as fast as they can.

77 of 180 (1,099 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 7:21:02 PM
(0)
Teacher
I am in the Benbrook area where the patch was pushed to. Unfortunately I am still having trouble but charter has been very attentive in understanding that the patch didn't work and are continuing to look into it. I have talked to several neighbors who also are still down. Just curious if anyone has had any luck with their device getting up and working?? I tried a hard reset of the microcell and also logged into the website and removed it from the system and tried a fresh install but it fails on the last step and has the 3G light flashing. If anyone in NC that got theirs up and going with the recent charter patch did u have to do anything special to ur modem or microcell to get it to work after charter pushed the update out?? Thanks.
I am in the Benbrook area where the patch was pushed to. Unfortunately I am still having trouble but charter has been very attentive in understanding that the patch didn't work and are continuing to look into it. I have talked to several neighbors who also are still down. Just curious if anyone has had any luck with their device getting up and working?? I tried a hard reset of the microcell and also logged into the website and removed it from the system and tried a fresh install but it fails on the last step and has the 3G light flashing. If anyone in NC that got theirs up and going with the recent charter patch did u have to do anything special to ur modem or microcell to get it to work after charter pushed the update out?? Thanks.

78 of 180 (1,091 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 7:39:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

There isn't anything special that needs to be done to the MicroCell. A hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds) may be necessary. See the Guide (link in my sig) for details but basically that clears all of the registers and settings in the MicroCell (a factory reset if you will) and forces the unit into the Intitial Activation process.

There isn't anything special that needs to be done to the MicroCell. A hard reset (holding in the reset button on the back for about 30 seconds) may be necessary. See the Guide (link in my sig) for details but basically that clears all of the registers and settings in the MicroCell (a factory reset if you will) and forces the unit into the Intitial Activation process.

79 of 180 (1,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 8:52:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
You pretty much answered my question.
Please note that I am a patient person.

My clients on the other hand - not so much.

My clients don't just expect me to answer their calls - but to answer them on the first or second ring.

So when my phone simply goes straight to voicemail due to a lack of signal - I am loosing business.

I have been out of state for several weeks traveling from project to project - but when I left everything was perfect. Now that I'm back I maybe at best receive 1 out of 5 calls.

If I had an eta other than be just be patient then I could possibly explain this to everyone and direct them to simply dial my hard line - however 90% of them would still inadvertently dial my cell #.

Thanks everyone and best if luck!
Hope the fix comes by the morning - I've truly enjoined my charter experience - but business is business and part of my job is to be on call for emergency situations.

Regards
You pretty much answered my question.
Please note that I am a patient person.

My clients on the other hand - not so much.

My clients don't just expect me to answer their calls - but to answer them on the first or second ring.

So when my phone simply goes straight to voicemail due to a lack of signal - I am loosing business.

I have been out of state for several weeks traveling from project to project - but when I left everything was perfect. Now that I'm back I maybe at best receive 1 out of 5 calls.

If I had an eta other than be just be patient then I could possibly explain this to everyone and direct them to simply dial my hard line - however 90% of them would still inadvertently dial my cell #.

Thanks everyone and best if luck!
Hope the fix comes by the morning - I've truly enjoined my charter experience - but business is business and part of my job is to be on call for emergency situations.

Regards

80 of 180 (1,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2014 9:20:39 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Can you forward your cell calls to your landline when you're home until Charter gets the new hardware fixed? I do that all of the time, only in reverse. Landline to cell phone when I'm out and about. I've got a nice little app on my iPhone that takes care of it for me.

Can you forward your cell calls to your landline when you're home until Charter gets the new hardware fixed? I do that all of the time, only in reverse. Landline to cell phone when I'm out and about. I've got a nice little app on my iPhone that takes care of it for me.

81 of 180 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:31:50 AM
(0)
Teacher

Good morning all. Good news. I spoke with Jay this morning who is the Senior VP of Neworking with Charter whp has been working very hard on this issue. They found a minor difference in the patch that they pushed to NC and here to Fort Worth. They fixed it this morning and he contacted me to see if my Microcell is working and my wife said that it is and her phone is connected to it. Jay might be able to shed more light on which areas this patch was pushed out to, but I am in the Benbrook area with a 76126 zip code. I didn't do any reboot on the device it just started working once they corrected the patch so there should be no need to do anything if you are in the area the patch was pushed to to get yours working again, but I am not the expert on the Microcell like Otto Pylot so he might have a different opinion on if the Microcell needs to be rebooted.

If yours starts working please post so that we know the patch is working for more than just me. None of my neighbors are home at the moment so that I can check with them, but I imagine the patch did the trick for the people in the area it was pushed to.

I would like to thank Jay and Travis Santana for their hard work on this. I spent hrs and  days on the phone with Charter before I finally got to Travis who pushed this issue up which the other supervisors were never willing to do. Because of Travis this issue made it to Jay who worked very hard and stayed in constant communication with myself and Otto Pylot. I myself was very frustrated with the time it took to get to Jay and Travis, but I am glad once the problem got to them they did what was right and worked hard on it to get a fix in place. Hopefully Jay will post an update on the future pushing of this patch out to the other affected areas.

If anyone in Charter reads this Jay and Travis are model employees and I personally appreciate their hard work on this.  

Good morning all. Good news. I spoke with Jay this morning who is the Senior VP of Neworking with Charter whp has been working very hard on this issue. They found a minor difference in the patch that they pushed to NC and here to Fort Worth. They fixed it this morning and he contacted me to see if my Microcell is working and my wife said that it is and her phone is connected to it. Jay might be able to shed more light on which areas this patch was pushed out to, but I am in the Benbrook area with a 76126 zip code. I didn't do any reboot on the device it just started working once they corrected the patch so there should be no need to do anything if you are in the area the patch was pushed to to get yours working again, but I am not the expert on the Microcell like Otto Pylot so he might have a different opinion on if the Microcell needs to be rebooted.

If yours starts working please post so that we know the patch is working for more than just me. None of my neighbors are home at the moment so that I can check with them, but I imagine the patch did the trick for the people in the area it was pushed to.

I would like to thank Jay and Travis Santana for their hard work on this. I spent hrs and  days on the phone with Charter before I finally got to Travis who pushed this issue up which the other supervisors were never willing to do. Because of Travis this issue made it to Jay who worked very hard and stayed in constant communication with myself and Otto Pylot. I myself was very frustrated with the time it took to get to Jay and Travis, but I am glad once the problem got to them they did what was right and worked hard on it to get a fix in place. Hopefully Jay will post an update on the future pushing of this patch out to the other affected areas.

If anyone in Charter reads this Jay and Travis are model employees and I personally appreciate their hard work on this.  

82 of 180 (1,031 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 9:10:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks Steve for the update. If your MicroCell stars to work ok (solid green 3G light) then I wouldn't do anything (power cycle or hard reset) and just let it go without any "changes" and keep an eye on it for stability. Some may  have to do a hard reset to force it to go thru the Initial Activation process so we'll just have to wait and see on a user by user basis.

I haven't received anything from Jay officially yet but when I do, I will post. Unfortunately, for you more technically adept individuals, i won't be able to post any details on what the problem was and how it was fixed other than it was a hardware upgrade that needed some tweaking to get it to "talk" to AT&T's servers.

But when this is officially fixed, I would recommend that all of the affected Charter users send a message of thanks to Charter's engineering and support group for sticking with this until it was resolved. I've kept the AT&T Admins in the loop with what I could tell them so they were aware of the issue but it's Jay and his group that worked so hard on the upcoming fix. I wish there was more that AT&T, and me, could've done but this was really out of our hands.

Stay tuned Smiley Wink

Thanks Steve for the update. If your MicroCell stars to work ok (solid green 3G light) then I wouldn't do anything (power cycle or hard reset) and just let it go without any "changes" and keep an eye on it for stability. Some may  have to do a hard reset to force it to go thru the Initial Activation process so we'll just have to wait and see on a user by user basis.

I haven't received anything from Jay officially yet but when I do, I will post. Unfortunately, for you more technically adept individuals, i won't be able to post any details on what the problem was and how it was fixed other than it was a hardware upgrade that needed some tweaking to get it to "talk" to AT&T's servers.

But when this is officially fixed, I would recommend that all of the affected Charter users send a message of thanks to Charter's engineering and support group for sticking with this until it was resolved. I've kept the AT&T Admins in the loop with what I could tell them so they were aware of the issue but it's Jay and his group that worked so hard on the upcoming fix. I wish there was more that AT&T, and me, could've done but this was really out of our hands.

Stay tuned Smiley Wink

83 of 180 (1,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 1:22:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

Now that we have confirmed that fixes deployed in two locations in NC and TX have resolved the problem, we will focus on scheduling the remaining equipment that requires the update. I'm working with our Operations team on those activities, which will likely take place over the course of a few days or a week.

Now that we have confirmed that fixes deployed in two locations in NC and TX have resolved the problem, we will focus on scheduling the remaining equipment that requires the update. I'm working with our Operations team on those activities, which will likely take place over the course of a few days or a week.

84 of 180 (1,001 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 1:49:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Just sent you a pm.

Just sent you a pm.

85 of 180 (996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 8:50:55 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for the update
Thanks for the update

86 of 180 (933 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 5, 2014 10:08:43 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Yes, it would appear that Charter is making headway so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

Yes, it would appear that Charter is making headway so hopefully it won't be too much longer.

87 of 180 (924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 7:09:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Updates were pushed out everywhere last night. All microcells should be operating normally now.

Updates were pushed out everywhere last night. All microcells should be operating normally now.

88 of 180 (909 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 8:29:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thank you!

Thank you!

89 of 180 (900 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 6, 2014 8:32:36 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks railpass
Working again
Thanks railpass
Working again