What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

That would be port 4500 (but whose counting Smiley Wink). If this does have something to do with the network boxes that Charter replaced early if February then there's not much that AT&T and Charter will have to take the lead. We did have a VP of Engineering from Charter helping us out here but he has stopped answering my emails and messages so I don't know how much help we're going to get on this. If AT&T reports that port 4500 is being blocked there is not much they can do to force Charter to open that port.

What have you dont to try and fix it? Have you made any router changes or upgrades recently?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Just an FYI, Charter is doing testing on 60 mbps in Forth worth and other areas in Texas... maybe that is causing the issues? and i apologize if that was already mentioned, didn't read all the replies.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up. If Charter is testing and installing some new network boxes that could cause issues. It did last time.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Hi guys,

My apologies for disappearing on here for a while but I just wanted to give you an update on my issue.  I'm pleased to say I've determined that my Netgear N750 WNDR4300 router was the culprit.  The last suggestion from you was to perform a factory reset on the unit, I did so twice but all of my connectivity and poor VoIP call quality problems persisted.  After doing some more research on that Netgear model of router, I found that many other owners were having similar performance issues and that the current firmware version is now known to be problematic as well.

So just the other day, I ripped the Netgear out of the loop and replaced it with a new Linksys WRT1900AC router and boom!... all of my issues disappeared.  ALL of them!  This new Linksys router is incredible (just new on the market a couple of weeks).  All this time I was convinced Charter was causing my web surfing and VoIP call quality issues but I was wrong.  As soon as I hooked up the new router, I achieved near-perfect download and upload speeds during every speed test (40/4), my web browsing is so much more responsive and most importantly, I can run Vonage and my AT&T MicroCell units on the LAN and make crystal clear calls from both.  I've made numerous test calls and am getting consistant and great voice quality with no lag or choppy speach.

Thanks again for all of your help and pass along the fact that Netgear's N750 router is a known-faulty unit so others should avoid it for many reasons... especially making MCell calls.  

Regards.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback!  We've seen that certain routers do not play well with the Mcell.  While it is a somewhat expensive troubleshooting effort to start changing out routers to find one that works, one can usually return the router if they find that it didn't help their situation.

Good luck with your Mcell!

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks Avedis and no problem.  I agree with you that troubleshooting the expensive way is not always best but yes, we can certainly return items if there's no improvement.  That was going to be my plan if this new Linksys router didn't make any difference but man, it sure has!  I love this thing!  It's getting rave reviews all over the place too.

Take care.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for getting back to us.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Were you able to get any information from Charter that you can now pass along?  I am in Michigan and my microcell quit working back at the end of May.  I am on my 4th replacement and it still won't activate.  I've have AT&T check the GPS location (solid green) but every time the 3g light turns blinking red.  Hours upon hours have been spent on the phone with AT&T and they have not been able to resolve this issue.  I have had charter internet for almost 15 years now and I know they did push through an upgrade earlier this summer.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Charter has stopped communicating with me. The engineer who was very helpful at the beginning will not respond to my emails or pm's anymore. This seems to be a regional thing because I know of other Charter subscribers who have the MicroCell and are not experiencing any problems. Have you reviewed the Tech Guide and tried all of the troubleshooting steps, just in case?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Unless the OP has changed something in his home network, going through 4 Mcells after one was working previously would suggest that something has changed on the ISP side.

Perhaps a router reset would help but not knowing the home network setup or equipment, that's hard to determine.  Would definitely try connecting the Mcell directly to the modem and bypass the rest of the network to see if that helps to establish a Mcell connection.

If that doesn't help, he should send a PM to ATTCustomerCare, describing what he has done so far and his geographical location so AT&T can see if they have had any other problems reported in that area.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.