Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jan 20, 2014
4:04:55 PM
View profile
3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

179 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(179)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 6:52:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Sounds like 123 UDP is being occupied by Vonage? Hmmm, maybe Avedis53 has an idea. My router is an Apple Extreme Base Station which just seems to work without too much configuration. But then again, I'm not adding Vonage to the mix.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

Sounds like 123 UDP is being occupied by Vonage? Hmmm, maybe Avedis53 has an idea. My router is an Apple Extreme Base Station which just seems to work without too much configuration. But then again, I'm not adding Vonage to the mix.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: 3g Microcell and Charter Cable

151 of 180 (1,545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 7:27:57 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

The Mcell and Vonage both use port 123 UDP for NTP synchonization.  You can not forward the same port to both applications.  Put the Vonage in the DMZ and port forward the Mcell.

The Mcell and Vonage both use port 123 UDP for NTP synchonization.  You can not forward the same port to both applications.  Put the Vonage in the DMZ and port forward the Mcell.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

152 of 180 (1,540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 20, 2014 8:27:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Good thought.

Good thought.

153 of 180 (1,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 3:53:47 AM
(0)
Teacher

Avedis,

Yeah, I still can't get UDP 123 to stick.  I placed the Vonage adapter in the DMZ, turned off UPnP again, then disabled all other hard-wired and wireless devices from connecting to the router, including the Vonage box so that only my main PC and the MCell were showing as "attached devices".  When I try to port-forward UDP 123 to the MCell, the router keeps telling me that the port is being used by another protocol or device.  

Strange.

Avedis,

Yeah, I still can't get UDP 123 to stick.  I placed the Vonage adapter in the DMZ, turned off UPnP again, then disabled all other hard-wired and wireless devices from connecting to the router, including the Vonage box so that only my main PC and the MCell were showing as "attached devices".  When I try to port-forward UDP 123 to the MCell, the router keeps telling me that the port is being used by another protocol or device.  

Strange.

154 of 180 (1,520 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 8:06:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Disconnect your pc so that all you have on your network is  your router connected to the MicroCell. You might want to power cycle the router as well. Reconnect and see if you can forward 123. By any chance are you using the Computer input on the MicroCell? Leave UPnP off.

Disconnect your pc so that all you have on your network is  your router connected to the MicroCell. You might want to power cycle the router as well. Reconnect and see if you can forward 123. By any chance are you using the Computer input on the MicroCell? Leave UPnP off.

155 of 180 (1,503 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 21, 2014 9:22:11 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

If power cycling the router with all other network devices disconnected doesn't allow you to forward the 123 port, then you might try restoring your router to factory default settings and starting again. There is a marked reset hole on the back or the bottom of most Netgear routers.  You'll need a paper clip or something similiar to press the recessed reset button.  Connect your computer and set up your router again using the admin page.  Make sure to power off the router before pressing the reset button.

If power cycling the router with all other network devices disconnected doesn't allow you to forward the 123 port, then you might try restoring your router to factory default settings and starting again. There is a marked reset hole on the back or the bottom of most Netgear routers.  You'll need a paper clip or something similiar to press the recessed reset button.  Connect your computer and set up your router again using the admin page.  Make sure to power off the router before pressing the reset button.

156 of 180 (1,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 9:47:44 AM
(0)
Voyager

My microcell stopped working on the 22 of January. I am also a Charter Business customer located in North Fort Worth, Texas (76179). So far ATT has sent me 2 different units and not one of them will work. I have the blinking green 3G light. I have been on the phone numerous times with Charter telling me that everything is great on thier end and they don't support 3rd party products like the microcell. I know from reading this thread that some people had the problem resolved. I don't know what else to do other than abandon the microcell or charter, or maybe just both. Does anyone have any contacts within Charter that I can contact directly that has a clue about this issue?

My microcell stopped working on the 22 of January. I am also a Charter Business customer located in North Fort Worth, Texas (76179). So far ATT has sent me 2 different units and not one of them will work. I have the blinking green 3G light. I have been on the phone numerous times with Charter telling me that everything is great on thier end and they don't support 3rd party products like the microcell. I know from reading this thread that some people had the problem resolved. I don't know what else to do other than abandon the microcell or charter, or maybe just both. Does anyone have any contacts within Charter that I can contact directly that has a clue about this issue?

157 of 180 (1,430 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2014 11:02:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

There was a poster with the username railpass, who was a Charter engineer, and he was a tremendous help in getting Charter to figure out what the issue was with their new network boxes and upgrades. He hasn't responded to my emails but you may want to try and PM him and if he still lurks around here he may reply to you.

You might want to see if AT&T can detect any port issues from their end. That may give you an idea on whether the fix that Charter did is holding or not. We haven't had any reports from the OP's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area that the issues have re-surfaced. However, if you've had your MicroCell replaced twice now that sort of indicates that it's not the MicroCell and something to do with your connection. Did you make any configuration changes/additions/upgrades to your system around the time the MicroCell first failed?

There was a poster with the username railpass, who was a Charter engineer, and he was a tremendous help in getting Charter to figure out what the issue was with their new network boxes and upgrades. He hasn't responded to my emails but you may want to try and PM him and if he still lurks around here he may reply to you.

You might want to see if AT&T can detect any port issues from their end. That may give you an idea on whether the fix that Charter did is holding or not. We haven't had any reports from the OP's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area that the issues have re-surfaced. However, if you've had your MicroCell replaced twice now that sort of indicates that it's not the MicroCell and something to do with your connection. Did you make any configuration changes/additions/upgrades to your system around the time the MicroCell first failed?

158 of 180 (1,425 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 7:33:39 AM
(0)
Voyager

No changes where made before it stopped working. I will PM railpass and see if I get a response, this has been a frustrating experience to say the very least. ATT points the finger at Charter and then Charter just points the finger back at ATT.

No changes where made before it stopped working. I will PM railpass and see if I get a response, this has been a frustrating experience to say the very least. ATT points the finger at Charter and then Charter just points the finger back at ATT.

159 of 180 (1,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2014 9:17:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

If your issue is related to the network boxes upgrade that Charter did in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, then unfortunately it is Charter's issue to fix. According Charter, it had something to do with the vendor they used and it took awhile for the vendor and Charter to come up with a fix so that port 4500 wasn't being blocked. There's not much AT&T can do to tell another carrier how to fix their system.

If your issue is related to the network boxes upgrade that Charter did in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, then unfortunately it is Charter's issue to fix. According Charter, it had something to do with the vendor they used and it took awhile for the vendor and Charter to come up with a fix so that port 4500 wasn't being blocked. There's not much AT&T can do to tell another carrier how to fix their system.

160 of 180 (1,370 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 7:43:58 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same situation... my microcell stopped working in Feb of this year after working pretty well since 2011. 

Does anyone know if Charter is working on this issue in the Fort Worth area? Every time I talk to them they tell me they know nothing about it and that port 2500 is not blocked. ATT reports port 2500 is blocked.

I have the same situation... my microcell stopped working in Feb of this year after working pretty well since 2011. 

Does anyone know if Charter is working on this issue in the Fort Worth area? Every time I talk to them they tell me they know nothing about it and that port 2500 is not blocked. ATT reports port 2500 is blocked.

161 of 180 (1,290 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2014 9:25:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

That would be port 4500 (but whose counting Smiley Wink). If this does have something to do with the network boxes that Charter replaced early if February then there's not much that AT&T and Charter will have to take the lead. We did have a VP of Engineering from Charter helping us out here but he has stopped answering my emails and messages so I don't know how much help we're going to get on this. If AT&T reports that port 4500 is being blocked there is not much they can do to force Charter to open that port.

What have you dont to try and fix it? Have you made any router changes or upgrades recently?

That would be port 4500 (but whose counting Smiley Wink). If this does have something to do with the network boxes that Charter replaced early if February then there's not much that AT&T and Charter will have to take the lead. We did have a VP of Engineering from Charter helping us out here but he has stopped answering my emails and messages so I don't know how much help we're going to get on this. If AT&T reports that port 4500 is being blocked there is not much they can do to force Charter to open that port.

What have you dont to try and fix it? Have you made any router changes or upgrades recently?

162 of 180 (1,278 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 7:08:38 PM
(0)
Tutor
Just an FYI, Charter is doing testing on 60 mbps in Forth worth and other areas in Texas... maybe that is causing the issues? and i apologize if that was already mentioned, didn't read all the replies.
Just an FYI, Charter is doing testing on 60 mbps in Forth worth and other areas in Texas... maybe that is causing the issues? and i apologize if that was already mentioned, didn't read all the replies.

163 of 180 (1,237 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 25, 2014 7:47:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the heads-up. If Charter is testing and installing some new network boxes that could cause issues. It did last time.

Thanks for the heads-up. If Charter is testing and installing some new network boxes that could cause issues. It did last time.

164 of 180 (1,232 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 6:06:33 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by acouse on May 1, 2014 at 6:40:26 AM

Hi guys,

My apologies for disappearing on here for a while but I just wanted to give you an update on my issue.  I'm pleased to say I've determined that my Netgear N750 WNDR4300 router was the culprit.  The last suggestion from you was to perform a factory reset on the unit, I did so twice but all of my connectivity and poor VoIP call quality problems persisted.  After doing some more research on that Netgear model of router, I found that many other owners were having similar performance issues and that the current firmware version is now known to be problematic as well.

So just the other day, I ripped the Netgear out of the loop and replaced it with a new Linksys WRT1900AC router and boom!... all of my issues disappeared.  ALL of them!  This new Linksys router is incredible (just new on the market a couple of weeks).  All this time I was convinced Charter was causing my web surfing and VoIP call quality issues but I was wrong.  As soon as I hooked up the new router, I achieved near-perfect download and upload speeds during every speed test (40/4), my web browsing is so much more responsive and most importantly, I can run Vonage and my AT&T MicroCell units on the LAN and make crystal clear calls from both.  I've made numerous test calls and am getting consistant and great voice quality with no lag or choppy speach.

Thanks again for all of your help and pass along the fact that Netgear's N750 router is a known-faulty unit so others should avoid it for many reasons... especially making MCell calls.  

Regards.

Hi guys,

My apologies for disappearing on here for a while but I just wanted to give you an update on my issue.  I'm pleased to say I've determined that my Netgear N750 WNDR4300 router was the culprit.  The last suggestion from you was to perform a factory reset on the unit, I did so twice but all of my connectivity and poor VoIP call quality problems persisted.  After doing some more research on that Netgear model of router, I found that many other owners were having similar performance issues and that the current firmware version is now known to be problematic as well.

So just the other day, I ripped the Netgear out of the loop and replaced it with a new Linksys WRT1900AC router and boom!... all of my issues disappeared.  ALL of them!  This new Linksys router is incredible (just new on the market a couple of weeks).  All this time I was convinced Charter was causing my web surfing and VoIP call quality issues but I was wrong.  As soon as I hooked up the new router, I achieved near-perfect download and upload speeds during every speed test (40/4), my web browsing is so much more responsive and most importantly, I can run Vonage and my AT&T MicroCell units on the LAN and make crystal clear calls from both.  I've made numerous test calls and am getting consistant and great voice quality with no lag or choppy speach.

Thanks again for all of your help and pass along the fact that Netgear's N750 router is a known-faulty unit so others should avoid it for many reasons... especially making MCell calls.  

Regards.

[ Edited ]
165 of 180 (1,153 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 8:17:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Thanks for the feedback!  We've seen that certain routers do not play well with the Mcell.  While it is a somewhat expensive troubleshooting effort to start changing out routers to find one that works, one can usually return the router if they find that it didn't help their situation.

Good luck with your Mcell!

Thanks for the feedback!  We've seen that certain routers do not play well with the Mcell.  While it is a somewhat expensive troubleshooting effort to start changing out routers to find one that works, one can usually return the router if they find that it didn't help their situation.

Good luck with your Mcell!

166 of 180 (1,133 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 9:08:24 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks Avedis and no problem.  I agree with you that troubleshooting the expensive way is not always best but yes, we can certainly return items if there's no improvement.  That was going to be my plan if this new Linksys router didn't make any difference but man, it sure has!  I love this thing!  It's getting rave reviews all over the place too.

Take care.

Thanks Avedis and no problem.  I agree with you that troubleshooting the expensive way is not always best but yes, we can certainly return items if there's no improvement.  That was going to be my plan if this new Linksys router didn't make any difference but man, it sure has!  I love this thing!  It's getting rave reviews all over the place too.

Take care.

167 of 180 (1,127 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2014 9:26:02 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks for getting back to us.

Thanks for getting back to us.

168 of 180 (1,123 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 3:03:43 AM
(0)
Contributor

Were you able to get any information from Charter that you can now pass along?  I am in Michigan and my microcell quit working back at the end of May.  I am on my 4th replacement and it still won't activate.  I've have AT&T check the GPS location (solid green) but every time the 3g light turns blinking red.  Hours upon hours have been spent on the phone with AT&T and they have not been able to resolve this issue.  I have had charter internet for almost 15 years now and I know they did push through an upgrade earlier this summer.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Were you able to get any information from Charter that you can now pass along?  I am in Michigan and my microcell quit working back at the end of May.  I am on my 4th replacement and it still won't activate.  I've have AT&T check the GPS location (solid green) but every time the 3g light turns blinking red.  Hours upon hours have been spent on the phone with AT&T and they have not been able to resolve this issue.  I have had charter internet for almost 15 years now and I know they did push through an upgrade earlier this summer.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

169 of 180 (920 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 9:12:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Charter has stopped communicating with me. The engineer who was very helpful at the beginning will not respond to my emails or pm's anymore. This seems to be a regional thing because I know of other Charter subscribers who have the MicroCell and are not experiencing any problems. Have you reviewed the Tech Guide and tried all of the troubleshooting steps, just in case?

Charter has stopped communicating with me. The engineer who was very helpful at the beginning will not respond to my emails or pm's anymore. This seems to be a regional thing because I know of other Charter subscribers who have the MicroCell and are not experiencing any problems. Have you reviewed the Tech Guide and tried all of the troubleshooting steps, just in case?

170 of 180 (912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2014 9:45:04 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Unless the OP has changed something in his home network, going through 4 Mcells after one was working previously would suggest that something has changed on the ISP side.

Perhaps a router reset would help but not knowing the home network setup or equipment, that's hard to determine.  Would definitely try connecting the Mcell directly to the modem and bypass the rest of the network to see if that helps to establish a Mcell connection.

If that doesn't help, he should send a PM to ATTCustomerCare, describing what he has done so far and his geographical location so AT&T can see if they have had any other problems reported in that area.

Unless the OP has changed something in his home network, going through 4 Mcells after one was working previously would suggest that something has changed on the ISP side.

Perhaps a router reset would help but not knowing the home network setup or equipment, that's hard to determine.  Would definitely try connecting the Mcell directly to the modem and bypass the rest of the network to see if that helps to establish a Mcell connection.

If that doesn't help, he should send a PM to ATTCustomerCare, describing what he has done so far and his geographical location so AT&T can see if they have had any other problems reported in that area.

171 of 180 (906 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 3, 2014 11:05:14 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by CJA-Oregon on Dec 3, 2014 at 11:07:17 PM

Did you ever get your microcell working with Charter after the blinking green 3G light on the microcell?  My microcell stopped working today.  I've spent three hours on the phone with AT&T and Charter.  Each said it is the other's problem.  I'm inclined to believe that the problem is Charter because they have blocked the ports that the microcell is required to access the AT&T servers.  Charter will not grant access to these ports so my microcell is of little more value than a brick.  And I have no phone service.  How can Charter do this without any notification?  I have verified that the all of thte ports required for microcell access have been BLOCKED.  Now what do I do?  How can Charter get by with doing this?  

Did you ever get your microcell working with Charter after the blinking green 3G light on the microcell?  My microcell stopped working today.  I've spent three hours on the phone with AT&T and Charter.  Each said it is the other's problem.  I'm inclined to believe that the problem is Charter because they have blocked the ports that the microcell is required to access the AT&T servers.  Charter will not grant access to these ports so my microcell is of little more value than a brick.  And I have no phone service.  How can Charter do this without any notification?  I have verified that the all of thte ports required for microcell access have been BLOCKED.  Now what do I do?  How can Charter get by with doing this?  

[ Edited ]
172 of 180 (813 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2014 8:12:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I've linked your post in the other thread to the Admins and they will look into it. It would be best to keep your posts to a single post, preferably the other one so we, and others, can easily respond and track.

Charter, like anyother ISP can pretty much do what they want and justify it was a "security measure". Let me see what I can find out before we jump to conclusions. As far as I know Avedis53 still has a perfectly functioning MicroCell.

By any chance did you try a hard reset on the MicroCell?

I've linked your post in the other thread to the Admins and they will look into it. It would be best to keep your posts to a single post, preferably the other one so we, and others, can easily respond and track.

Charter, like anyother ISP can pretty much do what they want and justify it was a "security measure". Let me see what I can find out before we jump to conclusions. As far as I know Avedis53 still has a perfectly functioning MicroCell.

By any chance did you try a hard reset on the MicroCell?

173 of 180 (796 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2014 12:21:50 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by drew1208 on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:23:38 PM

I woke up also to the same issue.  My microcell after over a year just stopped working.   Charter is saying it's port 4500 that is blocked.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm located in Louisiana. 

I woke up also to the same issue.  My microcell after over a year just stopped working.   Charter is saying it's port 4500 that is blocked.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm located in Louisiana. 

[ Edited ]
174 of 180 (752 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2014 12:35:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Dec 5, 2014 at 12:39:47 PM

Charter seems to be having issues in specific areas because you're the first  non-West Coast person to report that Charter is blocking a port (possibly). Unfortunately, if it is Charter that's blocking port 4500 (the most common port blocked) then they will have to correct it because AT&T can't. Did Charter tell you port 4500 was blocked or did you use a port checking app?

I've linked your post to the Admins and they'll look into it but don't expect much, especially if it is Charter's problem. I'm wondering if they are having network switch issues due to weather?

Charter seems to be having issues in specific areas because you're the first  non-West Coast person to report that Charter is blocking a port (possibly). Unfortunately, if it is Charter that's blocking port 4500 (the most common port blocked) then they will have to correct it because AT&T can't. Did Charter tell you port 4500 was blocked or did you use a port checking app?

I've linked your post to the Admins and they'll look into it but don't expect much, especially if it is Charter's problem. I'm wondering if they are having network switch issues due to weather?

[ Edited ]
175 of 180 (747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 5, 2014 1:01:46 PM
(0)
Tutor

I do know that our area is being upgraded to the new Charter Spectrum or whatever they are calling it.     This might be the cause of the new issue.

I spent most of the morning with AT&T going through their tireless check off list when I had already performed those tests and plenty of more.  Of course you have to go through them anyway and finally they got a manager on the phone.   The manager said from their side it was port 4500 being blocked as they could not access the Microcell either.   I will contact Charter and see if they point the finger back at AT&T or just throw their hands up.

I do know that our area is being upgraded to the new Charter Spectrum or whatever they are calling it.     This might be the cause of the new issue.

I spent most of the morning with AT&T going through their tireless check off list when I had already performed those tests and plenty of more.  Of course you have to go through them anyway and finally they got a manager on the phone.   The manager said from their side it was port 4500 being blocked as they could not access the Microcell either.   I will contact Charter and see if they point the finger back at AT&T or just throw their hands up.

176 of 180 (734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2015 11:06:23 AM
(0)
Contributor

A couple weeks ago my AT&T 3G MicroCell connected through Charter quit working.  I am located in southern Oregon.  I had made no changes that could have caused this.  Now the bottom connection is eith or off or flashes continuously.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone with an AT&T tech person tyying many different solutions, including connecting the MicroCell directly to my cable modem (thus eliminating router issues), and openin g up the four ports on the router that the MiocroCell uses.  None of this has worked.  Apparently the Charter-based problems exist here also!

Unfortunately, alternative cellphone companies do not provide better cell coverage in the part of town where I live, so switching carriers is apparently not a solution.  Help!

A couple weeks ago my AT&T 3G MicroCell connected through Charter quit working.  I am located in southern Oregon.  I had made no changes that could have caused this.  Now the bottom connection is eith or off or flashes continuously.  I spent an hour and a half on the phone with an AT&T tech person tyying many different solutions, including connecting the MicroCell directly to my cable modem (thus eliminating router issues), and openin g up the four ports on the router that the MiocroCell uses.  None of this has worked.  Apparently the Charter-based problems exist here also!

Unfortunately, alternative cellphone companies do not provide better cell coverage in the part of town where I live, so switching carriers is apparently not a solution.  Help!

177 of 180 (545 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2015 11:52:58 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by OttoPylot on Feb 13, 2015 at 11:54:08 AM

What has happened in the past with Charter is that they have done regional upgrading on their system which has caused connectivity problems with the MicroCell ( a switch configured wrong for example). It's unfortunately not a system-wide problem ( I saw your other post) so it's hard to determine the cause. Unless we start to see similar problems in other Charter areas it's going to be difficult to pin-point. I would send a pm to CustomerCare with the problem, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and  your location. It could just be your MicroCell Service Area but until AT&T gets similar complaints from the same are they will treat it as a localized problem and not prioritize it.

I would also contact Charter to see if they are doing any maintenance/upgrades in your area. Don't be surprised if they can't or won't tell you anything and direct you back to AT&T.

I have a contact in Oregon who also uses the MicroCell with Charter so let me see if he has any issues.

What has happened in the past with Charter is that they have done regional upgrading on their system which has caused connectivity problems with the MicroCell ( a switch configured wrong for example). It's unfortunately not a system-wide problem ( I saw your other post) so it's hard to determine the cause. Unless we start to see similar problems in other Charter areas it's going to be difficult to pin-point. I would send a pm to CustomerCare with the problem, what you have done to correct it, your account information, the best way for them to contact you, and  your location. It could just be your MicroCell Service Area but until AT&T gets similar complaints from the same are they will treat it as a localized problem and not prioritize it.

I would also contact Charter to see if they are doing any maintenance/upgrades in your area. Don't be surprised if they can't or won't tell you anything and direct you back to AT&T.

I have a contact in Oregon who also uses the MicroCell with Charter so let me see if he has any issues.

[ Edited ]
178 of 180 (540 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2015 12:10:53 PM
(0)
Contributor
My next step is to install my MicroCell on my brother?s non-Charter internet connection and see if that works.
My next step is to install my MicroCell on my brother?s non-Charter internet connection and see if that works.

179 of 180 (534 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 13, 2015 12:16:28 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

No issues here on the central Oregon coast with Charter.

You can certainly test your Mcell at your brother's house to see if it works, but I suspect your problem is a localized issue with Charter as we've seen this before.  Let us know how your test turns out.

No issues here on the central Oregon coast with Charter.

You can certainly test your Mcell at your brother's house to see if it works, but I suspect your problem is a localized issue with Charter as we've seen this before.  Let us know how your test turns out.

180 of 180 (534 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments