3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Contributor

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

Message 1 of 180 (8,820 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: 3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Sounds like 123 UDP is being occupied by Vonage? Hmmm, maybe Avedis53 has an idea. My router is an Apple Extreme Base Station which just seems to work without too much configuration. But then again, I'm not adding Vonage to the mix.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 151 of 180 (2,030 Views)
ACE - Professor

The Mcell and Vonage both use port 123 UDP for NTP synchonization.  You can not forward the same port to both applications.  Put the Vonage in the DMZ and port forward the Mcell.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 152 of 180 (2,025 Views)
ACE - Master

Good thought.

Message 153 of 180 (2,020 Views)
Teacher

Avedis,

Yeah, I still can't get UDP 123 to stick.  I placed the Vonage adapter in the DMZ, turned off UPnP again, then disabled all other hard-wired and wireless devices from connecting to the router, including the Vonage box so that only my main PC and the MCell were showing as "attached devices".  When I try to port-forward UDP 123 to the MCell, the router keeps telling me that the port is being used by another protocol or device.  

Strange.

Message 154 of 180 (2,005 Views)
ACE - Master

Disconnect your pc so that all you have on your network is  your router connected to the MicroCell. You might want to power cycle the router as well. Reconnect and see if you can forward 123. By any chance are you using the Computer input on the MicroCell? Leave UPnP off.

Message 155 of 180 (1,988 Views)
ACE - Professor

If power cycling the router with all other network devices disconnected doesn't allow you to forward the 123 port, then you might try restoring your router to factory default settings and starting again. There is a marked reset hole on the back or the bottom of most Netgear routers.  You'll need a paper clip or something similiar to press the recessed reset button.  Connect your computer and set up your router again using the admin page.  Make sure to power off the router before pressing the reset button.

Message 156 of 180 (1,980 Views)
Voyager

My microcell stopped working on the 22 of January. I am also a Charter Business customer located in North Fort Worth, Texas (76179). So far ATT has sent me 2 different units and not one of them will work. I have the blinking green 3G light. I have been on the phone numerous times with Charter telling me that everything is great on thier end and they don't support 3rd party products like the microcell. I know from reading this thread that some people had the problem resolved. I don't know what else to do other than abandon the microcell or charter, or maybe just both. Does anyone have any contacts within Charter that I can contact directly that has a clue about this issue?

Message 157 of 180 (1,915 Views)
ACE - Master

There was a poster with the username railpass, who was a Charter engineer, and he was a tremendous help in getting Charter to figure out what the issue was with their new network boxes and upgrades. He hasn't responded to my emails but you may want to try and PM him and if he still lurks around here he may reply to you.

You might want to see if AT&T can detect any port issues from their end. That may give you an idea on whether the fix that Charter did is holding or not. We haven't had any reports from the OP's in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area that the issues have re-surfaced. However, if you've had your MicroCell replaced twice now that sort of indicates that it's not the MicroCell and something to do with your connection. Did you make any configuration changes/additions/upgrades to your system around the time the MicroCell first failed?

Message 158 of 180 (1,910 Views)
Voyager

No changes where made before it stopped working. I will PM railpass and see if I get a response, this has been a frustrating experience to say the very least. ATT points the finger at Charter and then Charter just points the finger back at ATT.

Message 159 of 180 (1,865 Views)
ACE - Master

If your issue is related to the network boxes upgrade that Charter did in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, then unfortunately it is Charter's issue to fix. According Charter, it had something to do with the vendor they used and it took awhile for the vendor and Charter to come up with a fix so that port 4500 wasn't being blocked. There's not much AT&T can do to tell another carrier how to fix their system.

Message 160 of 180 (1,855 Views)
Contributor

I have the same situation... my microcell stopped working in Feb of this year after working pretty well since 2011. 

Does anyone know if Charter is working on this issue in the Fort Worth area? Every time I talk to them they tell me they know nothing about it and that port 2500 is not blocked. ATT reports port 2500 is blocked.

Message 161 of 180 (1,775 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

That would be port 4500 (but whose counting Smiley Wink). If this does have something to do with the network boxes that Charter replaced early if February then there's not much that AT&T and Charter will have to take the lead. We did have a VP of Engineering from Charter helping us out here but he has stopped answering my emails and messages so I don't know how much help we're going to get on this. If AT&T reports that port 4500 is being blocked there is not much they can do to force Charter to open that port.

What have you dont to try and fix it? Have you made any router changes or upgrades recently?

Message 162 of 180 (1,763 Views)

Just an FYI, Charter is doing testing on 60 mbps in Forth worth and other areas in Texas... maybe that is causing the issues? and i apologize if that was already mentioned, didn't read all the replies.
Message 163 of 180 (1,722 Views)
ACE - Master

Thanks for the heads-up. If Charter is testing and installing some new network boxes that could cause issues. It did last time.

Message 164 of 180 (1,717 Views)
Teacher

[ Edited ]

Hi guys,

My apologies for disappearing on here for a while but I just wanted to give you an update on my issue.  I'm pleased to say I've determined that my Netgear N750 WNDR4300 router was the culprit.  The last suggestion from you was to perform a factory reset on the unit, I did so twice but all of my connectivity and poor VoIP call quality problems persisted.  After doing some more research on that Netgear model of router, I found that many other owners were having similar performance issues and that the current firmware version is now known to be problematic as well.

So just the other day, I ripped the Netgear out of the loop and replaced it with a new Linksys WRT1900AC router and boom!... all of my issues disappeared.  ALL of them!  This new Linksys router is incredible (just new on the market a couple of weeks).  All this time I was convinced Charter was causing my web surfing and VoIP call quality issues but I was wrong.  As soon as I hooked up the new router, I achieved near-perfect download and upload speeds during every speed test (40/4), my web browsing is so much more responsive and most importantly, I can run Vonage and my AT&T MicroCell units on the LAN and make crystal clear calls from both.  I've made numerous test calls and am getting consistant and great voice quality with no lag or choppy speach.

Thanks again for all of your help and pass along the fact that Netgear's N750 router is a known-faulty unit so others should avoid it for many reasons... especially making MCell calls.  

Regards.

Message 165 of 180 (1,638 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.