What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I'm a little more hopeful. Someone sent me part of an email from AT&T that indicated that some traffic from Charter is being routed thru Italy! Smiley Surprised I'm passing it along to the Admins so maybe it's as simple as a bad routing table that can be easily fixed. Fingers crossed.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

I ran the port check tools while directly connected to the modem and found that only port 443 is open. The other ports are Closed/Connection refused instead of the timeout seen earlier. Thanks to Avedis for this suggestion.

Hopefully someone from AT&T and Charter are looking at all of the clues given here. Thanks again to Otto and to Steve for pushing this along.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Had the same problem about a week and half ago.  I was on the phone with ATT several times and they re-sent me a new microcell.  I have been on the phone with ATT and CHARTER trying to get it up and running but have been unsuccessful.  I was even on a 2 hour 3-way with netgear and att and myslef yesterday trying to get it to work.  

Same problems as you had.  My problem was the 4500 port being closed.  I changed the router settings and have been usnsuccessful.

Any ideas? 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The port issue is totally on the Charter side. AT&T keeps those ports open on their end for the MicroCell to work. Something from your end thru Charter's network is either blocking those ports or mis-directing them. I have been working with the Admins all week who in turn have been pushing the AT&T network group(s) to push Charter to figure this out. I'm hoping it's an upstream switch somewhere that has failed, but it will take time, probably on Charter's end, to find it and fix it.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Italy????  That still doesn't account for what appears to be closed ports. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

No it doesn't but I've seen the trace so it's just another oddity that compounds the issue. My guess is that it's just that, an oddity, but it is there none the less. I've been in communication with a SVP Engineering from Charter so they are taking this seriously and trying.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Name dropper!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Smiley Tongue I think the router is actually stateside now so maybe we are starting to get there, at least for one facet of this problem.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have also been experiencing the same problems with the Microcell and Charter Internet.  My problems began at approximately 1/1/14 after having the Microcell in the same home environment without problems for years.  I'm so glad to see here that I am not alone in experiencing this problem.

AT&T has been incredible in attempting to resolve the problem.  They have worked tirelessly for a month, including shipping me two replacement Microcell's to configure.  All continued to fail with the same error.  According to AT&T, everything pointed to a blocked port 4500 or IPSec passthrough.

All along, the frontline Charter technical support continued to deny that Charter blocked any ports.  I made repeated attempts to get escalation beyond the frontline to no avail.

Tonight I discovered this thread on the forum and I gained hope.  I began to compose a message of my problems when I decided to attempt the Microcell one more time.  Low and behold, it now works!  I am a North Carolina Charter customer, so hopefully this success applies to all others as well.

I know I did not do anything to resolve the problem in the last few days, so I give complete credit to the members of this forum who have obviously worked to get attention on this problem.  Thanks so much to everyone's efforts here.

And thanks to AT&T for all of their efforts -- both directly with me and any leverage they brought to fix the problem.  If AT&T offered their UVerse product at my address, I would leave Charter Internet in a minute!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks you for your posting. It sounds like you are one of the lucky ones. Most of us that have posted on this forum that are experiencing issues are from the Fort Worth Texas area. When I saw your posting I got excited and rebooted all my equipment hoping the problem had been resolved but I was disappointed. I did receive several PMs last friday from a charter senior VP of engineering and it sounds like it is getting looked at on the charter end which is great news. Fingers crossed it gets resolved this week and we can all go back to our cell phones actually ringing as opposed to voicemails just popping up with the phone never ringing.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.