What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

PM is Private Message. If you click on the link in my sig it will take you to a page that you can send a message to CustomerCare (kind of like an email). I did send your post to the Admins who have in turn notified CustomerCare. They will contact you by sending you a private message. You should see the little blue envelope in the upper right corner of the page, next to Settings blinking when a message comes in for you. Or, if you PM CustomerCare you can request to have them contact  you by your email address (which you will have to provide).

Keep in mind that if this is a localized Charter issue, it will be up to them to work with AT&T to resolve the issue.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Latest poster's zip code places them in the Fort Worth area also.   I have no doubt this is a regional Charter issue.  I agree that everyone affected by this problem should contact CustomerCare so they have enough ammo to convince Charter to resolve the problem. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for catching the zip code.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

In my case the MicroCell is not the problem. It activates within 15 minutes on TW Telecom in Dallas, TX. It does not activate on Charter in Fort Worth, TX. Yes, I changed the physical location in the settings so that the GPS and physical location would match. Note that this cell worked great for 3 weeks on Charter and stopped working on 22-Jan-2014 on Charter. Now it always fails Step 4 of 4 in the online Activation process while connected to Charter.

I don't think that CanYouSeeMe.org is very reliable to troubleshoot this issue: None of the ports respond on Charter in Fort Worth and only Port 443 gives success on TW Telecom in Dallas. The cell activates and makes calls on TW Telecom.

If you don't have another ISP to check, you might be able to activate the cell at an AT&T store just to prove that the cell is working (unless the store uses Charter!). It probably won't work when you re-connect it on Charter.

Note that I also have Vonage (VOIP) and a Charter phone line (VOIP) that are both working. I don't think that there is some net neutrality conspiracy. Just that someone forgot to check the database when they upgraded the Charter network.

The real problem is convincing Charter that the problem is on their side.

Many thanks to Otto for his help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

That's good information about Vonage. I would expect any VoIP service offered by Charter to work. I'm not familiar with what Vonage uses for their VoIP service but it could involve different ports or connectivity to Vonage's servers. Vonage doesn't really compete with Charter but AT&T does, so the "conspiracy theory" still holds some credibility Smiley Wink I'm hoping this is a localized issue and not some change that Charter is attempting in certain markets to see how it goes. I'll copy and paste this to the Admins to document another Ft. Worth issue but please PM your issue to CustomerCare if you haven't done so already.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

If you try to run a port checker from within your home network, you will almost always "time out" for a port.  Unless your router supports NAT hairpinning, testing from within your home network will result in the packets being dropped on return and result in the time out.

The best way to check for open or closed ports on your ISP would be to bypass your network, connect your computer directly to your modem and then run the port checker program.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Good stuff. Thanks partner!

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

For some reason by post didn't show up.

For an update I got a call from the ATT person that is forwarding the information to the ATT team that is working on this. She stated that Chater has requested that ATT have their customers call Charter and open up a case so that the problems can be documents on Charters end as well. The ATT rep also asked that I get a case number so that they could have it on their end.

Naturally I called Charter right away and had to ask for a supervisor after the intial person told me that she could not generate a case for something like the issue we are having and was unable to provide me a case number. The supervisor I talked to who was very friendly and is trying to help also told me the same thing.

He told me that he would send an email over to the area that covers my residence to see if they were the ones communicating with ATT regarding this issue and what we needed to do to generate a case regarding this. He promptly called me back and said that he hadn't gotten a reply from the office that services the area, but that he had consulted with other Charter supervisors in the office and they all have recieved calls from other customers regarding our Microcell issues. The other supervisors told him that they heard it was an ATT upgrade to the Microcell that was causing the issue and caused the microcell to become uncompatiable with some ISP's which included Time Warner and one other ISP. We talked at length and I told him I thought it was a port blocking issue on Charter's end. He did take the time to find other people that had called in and is going to send a second email to this group with everyones information that he can get. He agreed that the more the better to push the Charter people in this regional office that covers our areas to do something.

If you are having issues please email him at the email address below and at the bare minimum give him a contact number he can call you at to get what he needs. I think they are really looking for a contact number and address to document the service area that is being affected. For the record for everyone here if I didn't list it I live in zip code 76126 in Benbrook which is just west of Fort Worth.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

10 years ago

Additional update. I got a call from ATT and they believe they have identified the specific problem on Charter's end. I have passed the supervisors email onto ATT so that they can try and communicate directly to solve this. Still no estimated time frame, but it seems to be moving toward a soultion if we can get someone on the tech side of Charter in play. Will post any new updates I get. I would suggest still emailing Travis at the email I failed to include on my last post, but I have here.

travis.santana@chartercom.com

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Your post didn't show up here because you posted it under another thread titled "3G Microcell".

Hopefully, Charter and ATT can work together to solve this and it will help if others having the same problem contact Charter and ATT.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.