What is happening with 3G?
themcks's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2014 12:04 AM

3g Microcell and Charter Cable

Hi

I have had a 3g microcell for over a year.  Suddenly this week the 3g light starts flashing and phones no longer connect.  I have:

deavtivate and reactivated too many times to count

factory reset my modem, router, microcell

replaced microcell with new one

opened all ports listed in various posts and att support site

turned cellular data and 3g data off on iphone

used priority set up (modem then 3gMC then router, this is how I am configured now)

What ever I try, there is still no connection back to att network.  ATT support says it must be charter cable and charter cable says it is att.  The only port I can not touch is 123 NTP.  I don't know what is hooked up to it, but it is not accessible to me.  However, using the priority config should bypass any port issues...right?

Please help.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Yes. He needs to send a pm to CustomerCare.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

3G Microcell on Charter stopped working 22-Jan-2014 after a Charter network upgrade.

The MicroCell can be activated on a different IP provider, just not Charter anymore.

Add me to the list so that AT&T and Charter can get this resolved.

I've gone through all of the troubleshooting several times: Power cycling, disconnecting everything, waiting overnight, Deactivate/Reactivate, etc. etc.while on Charter. It works OK on another ISP without a bunch of troubleshooting steps.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I have already notified the Admins and they are keenly aware of the issue. I would suggest that you pm CustomerCare with your problem, what you have done to fix it, your account info, and most importantly, your location. This may be a localized issue or it may be that Charter is setting the groundwork for refusing another provider's services across their network. My guess is that Charter had its own VoIP service.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Otto, I sent a PM and have a case # w/AT&T.

Is there a way that I can check if those 4 ports are open? I tried CanYouSeeMe.org and it said that those 4 ports (123, 4500, 500, 443) timeout. But I don't think that is enough info. Could I find out with Wireshark or Telnet? I don't have the IP addresses though.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

This is not good. I don't have the ip addresses either. This is more than likely something that Charter has done because of their "upgrade". TWC did the same thing after an upgrade and swore they weren't blocking any ports. But after a ton of complaints to their support group, they "discovered" that it was a problem with a vendor they used for the upgrade and got the problem fixed. I'm not saying that this is what Charter is doing but it is strange that these ports get blocked after an upgrade by the ISP. The same thing is happening right now with Hawaiian Telecom after their "upgrade". All of a sudden, the MicroCell users have lost connectivity. I would start complaining to Charter, even though they will blame it on AT&T. AT&T can only do so much but they will try.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

I've used that port checking tool before and it timed out on those same ports even though those ports are open on my router and my Mcell works fine.  I suspect there is another issue with using that tool.  It could have something to do with the router configuration.  I don't know enough to tell you what to try.

I still think that Charter has some hardware issue in that area and the only way to get them to spend time analyzing the problem is if enough people who have lost their Mcell connection complain to Charter.  Charter has not blocked those ports in my area so I don't think it is a corporate decision (yet) to force subscribers to use their VOIP product over a third party product like the Mcell. 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

I just sent another PM to the Admins this morning detailing the similarities and differences between the common issues we've recently seen with TWC, Charter, and Hawaiian Telecom. They are keenly aware of the issues and have reached out to the Charter and HT customers for more info. PM'ing CustomerCare is essential because they can compile the issues quickly and see if there is a common Service Area that is being affected, which could indicate an AT&T issue instead of an ISP issue.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Good day to you. 

I have this same problem also. I have 2 microcell units in different locations not more than 2 miles apart. the home one started this 3g flashing light about a week ago and is connected via CHARTER. The other is located in my office and working great - connected via U-VERSE. Based on what I have read here it seems the CHARTER may be the problem. I have just tonight brought my office microcell to my house and it is now blinking.. Please help. I bought and installed these microcells because of the very poor service of AT&T in this area. If this can not be rectified then i will have to move my service. Thank you for your help and God Bless.

sk.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for your post. The little experiment that you did re-enforces the fact that this is a Charter issue and not AT&T. It appears that the fix will have to come from the Charter side of things. There's only so much AT&T because it isn't their network. Please send a PM to CustomerCare (link in my sig) detailing your problem and what you just reported here. Include your account information and especially your location.  I will also copy your post to the Admins.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Here is the update this morning and i did send this to customer care.

I moved the office microcell unit i took home back to the office this morning and it worked quite quickly. My office internet provider is Uverse. The microcell i left in the house on CHARTER is still blinking. Kindly attend to this. My Zip Code is 76179. The 2 location are about a mile apart but different internet provider. Please help i need this resolved ASAP.

Thanks

SK.

what does PM means?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.